Avics

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I am pressuring myself into not getting an avic (geroldi or versi) or until #5. Do i just go for it or stick
to my original plan?

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just go for it. Experience in keeping them is usually better than reading posts about how to do so.

Although nothing can replace careful research. Good luck!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Avic's care is very different than terrestrials. For the sake of the spider I'd wait if I were you. There's been a lot of 'My Dead Avic' threads here in the past year. There's no hurry, they'll be around, and the longer you wait, the lower the prices will be. Get the care down of the few you have now.

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Avic's care is very different than terrestrials. For the sake of the spider I'd wait if I were you. There's been a lot of 'My Dead Avic' threads here in the past year. There's no hurry, they'll be around, and the longer you wait, the lower the prices will be. Get the care down of the few you have now.
I think there is a huge difference between juvie/adult avics and slings. I had a few larger specimens for my first avics so I thought they were easy enough, having dealt with arboreals before. But when I got 6 A. avic slings for free many years back, they all died due to my lack of knowledge in the difference of care.

Since then I have been successful in raising avic slings. I would suggest much reading before trying slings of the genus. Ventilation is the real key here.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you do go for it, keep in mind that most of what you read about avic care is incorrect. The best setup for them is lots of ventilation (don't skimp on ventilation) dry substrate and large water bowl, this way humidity can be supplied from the drinking source and not from the substrate, easier to control. Most avic deaths in captivity are caused by lack of ventilation and too much humidity

This is very important for all phases of their growth, from sling through until adulthood

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I am pressuring myself into not getting an avic (geroldi or versi) or until #5. Do i just go for it or stick
to my original plan?
And how would some of us know what your plan is based on your post? Or what #5 is, is that your favorite Chinese dish on a menu? Such vagueness makes it difficult....

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
And how would some of us know what your plan is based on your post? Or what #5 is, is that your favorite Chinese dish on a menu? Such vagueness makes it difficult....
+1 I am quite confused as well.

To the OP, I did recently learn a lot about the care of avics. Even though some are considered a "beginner species" I think it's much more than that. Certain "advanced/intermediate species" have easier care requirements than these guys do. If you get your care info from here and reliable sources than it might be ok depending on what your "original plan" is, just be mindful.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
the care of avics. Even though some are considered a "beginner species"
Avics aren't a beginner genus. The only reason they get recommended for beginners is because they aren't as fast, confrontational, or potent as other arboreals. But their care is for intermediate keepers. So many Avics have died in the hands of novices.

If I remember, the OP only has 3 albopilosum slings (correct me if I'm wrong); it's best to master the basics of terrestrial's before taking on something with the specific and unforgiving requirements of Avics.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I think there is a huge difference between juvie/adult avics and slings. I had a few larger specimens for my first avics so I thought they were easy enough, having dealt with arboreals before. But when I got 6 A. avic slings for free many years back, they all died due to my lack of knowledge in the difference of care.

Since then I have been successful in raising avic slings. I would suggest much reading before trying slings of the genus. Ventilation is the real key here.
Ah ha! I've been wondering for months how my first Avic survived when I didn't have enough information to know better. Now I get it. I never considered the difference between slings and juvie/sub adult. I got my first as a sub adult, and she has been very forgiving of my learning process. It's possible that the way to go with avics is to start with a larger T and get some experience with the genus before working with more sensitive slings.

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
I really like avics. They can actually handle dryer conditions than some people think in my experience as long as they have a fresh water source 24/7. I mist mine then allow the substrate to dry completely before misting again. You want to avoid having stale air in the enclosure so you need major VENTILATION! Poke extra holes on the sides of the enclosure for cross ventilation or use a krittter keeper.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
Avics aren't a beginner genus. The only reason they get recommended for beginners is because they aren't as fast, confrontational, or potent as other arboreals. But their care is for intermediate keepers. So many Avics have died in the hands of novices.

If I remember, the OP only has 3 albopilosum slings (correct me if I'm wrong); it's best to master the basics of terrestrial's before taking on something with the specific and unforgiving requirements of Avics.
Well yeah thats what the quotations were for ha. I really wish they took them out of petco and petsmart. I avoided avics for a while because I was afraid they'd suddenly die :( My little ones seem to be doing well.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
By #5 i mean the fifth species of tarantula that i will buy at some point, and the plan is to buy (as my second species of
tarantula) a G. Pulchra, third B. Smithi, fourth A. Brocklehursti or whatever they are called now (even if they can be a bit on
The feisty side) (list subject to change)

awiec

Arachnoprince
By #5 i mean the fifth species of tarantula that i will buy at some point, and the plan is to buy (as my second species of
tarantula) a G. Pulchra, third B. Smithi, fourth A. Brocklehursti or whatever they are called now (even if they can be a bit on
The feisty side) (list subject to change)
Not a bad plan to stick to, you can also add a GBB to that list and maybe something from the Pamphobeteus genus when you have raised your GBB for a while. They are "feisty" but they are a more tropical species who require "similar" care to an avic but are much more forgiving (except in the wallet). I got an avic as a first tarantula BUT I spent a long time caring for various wild spiders and got detailed advice from the breeder of my spider of how to care for it. The best way to learn is with experience so once you have cared for and raised your terrestrials then an avic could be the next step. Once you get their care down it's not too bad, I have little 1/2 and 3/4 slings nabbing crickets almost as big as them from my tweezers, they are a real fun genus to have.