GBB leg "shrinking"?!

kellysaxez

Arachnosquire
My 3.5-4" DSL GBB, Jewlz, molted last week. I went to peek on her again today to see how she's faring and if she might be hungry yet, and much to my dismay, found that her left second leg at the claw, tarsus, and a bit of the metatarsus has turned into a skinny, dehydrated, black, "twig", if you will allow me that description.

The rest of that leg and the rest of the legs and her overall condition on the whole seems fine, and she is getting around and webbing as usual. I am at a loss as to what might have caused this. I did attempt a search, but no matter what I typed into the search box, it took me to various posts that had nothing to do with the problem at hand. I thank all and everyone for your advice and guidance in advance.

Kelly and Jewlz

telepatella

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Put up pictures please. This is the kind of out of the ordinary we need to document for posterity.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
In the words of my girlfriend who is reading this post over my shoulder..huh..? That's weird...please post some pics..if it was reptile in would say its a circulatory issue...I havnt seen anything like that in ts but it definitely sounds like the hemolymph has been cut off or restricted in that leg..post pics if you can.

cold blood

Staff member
I've seen this type of thing posted at least twice before. Something must have occurred during the mold, the t will probably dispatch the "dead" end at some point....whether it does or not, it will almost certainly be repaired by the next molt.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
what i believe happened is something went wrong with the leg was injured.. iv had 2 T's have this happened first one was my p. camb his back leg was normal, he molted and i didnt see him for a few days, when i finally did his leg looked dead, black and like a twig. about 4 or 5 days later i seen the leg in a webbing and he was on the other side of the enclosure. there was no obvious reason for why it happened. maybe it twisted its leg wrong wiel still soft, im not sure. all i know is its leg kinda looked like piece of twig [actually id say resembled a black dried banana peel tbh]

and again with my A. versicolor ,i let it get a little too dry i think, molted, was missing in action for a day or 2 and find it with a black twig, same as cambridgei, the next day the leg was missing.

my theory, and thats just a theory, is it was hurt in the molting process, or afterwords, and cutt off blood to the limb [which they can and will do if injured] at which point the leg dwindles away. and eventually they pull it/it falls off and they go about there life till next molt.

edit: hah took my sweet time doing other stuff before hitting post and cold blood beat me to it :eek: ...and by hours.. hah i guess time got away from me *curses my telesales calls* XD

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
It's gotta be the mold!

Agree with everyone else. Probably a dead leg. Kinda like people. If there's a an injury or something that affected cicirculation, then the tissue. Good thing they grow legs back.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've seen this type of thing posted at least twice before. Something must have occurred during the mold, the t will probably dispatch the "dead" end at some point....whether it does or not, it will almost certainly be repaired by the next molt.
Man, he gets over 990 posts, and all of a sudden spelling goes out the window. I heard MOLD is bad hehe :clown:

cold blood

Staff member
It's a joke he and I have, I'm sure it was obvious w/the clown icon.
Yeah, it made me chuckle....See, viper knows I was raised by an English teacher and take I take grammar way too seriously at times, so for him to specifically point out my personal grammar flaws, could be classified as appropriate friendly ribbing.:)

He is a clown! :biggrin:

kellysaxez

Arachnosquire
what i believe happened is something went wrong with the leg was injured.. iv had 2 T's have this happened first one was my p. camb his back leg was normal, he molted and i didnt see him for a few days, when i finally did his leg looked dead, black and like a twig. about 4 or 5 days later i seen the leg in a webbing and he was on the other side of the enclosure. there was no obvious reason for why it happened. maybe it twisted its leg wrong wiel still soft, im not sure. all i know is its leg kinda looked like piece of twig [actually id say resembled a black dried banana peel tbh]

and again with my A. versicolor ,i let it get a little too dry i think, molted, was missing in action for a day or 2 and find it with a black twig, same as cambridgei, the next day the leg was missing.

my theory, and thats just a theory, is it was hurt in the molting process, or afterwords, and cutt off blood to the limb [which they can and will do if injured] at which point the leg dwindles away. and eventually they pull it/it falls off and they go about there life till next molt.

edit: hah took my sweet time doing other stuff before hitting post and cold blood beat me to it :eek: ...and by hours.. hah i guess time got away from me *curses my telesales calls* XD
Hello Pyro Friend, and thank you for your reply. I theorized the same. She is getting around fine and as you said I'm fairly certain things will right themselves when she molts again. I know they are but tiny creatures, relatively speaking that is, with tiny little brain pans, but I'd hate to think one of my charges were in "pain", again that is relative I know, and there were little to nothing I could do to alleviate it. Time, perhaps, to start looking for that leg. She has found a neat little crevice between two pieces of cork bark she has made her home and only comes out to "sun-bathe" under the IR lamp (it's residual not direct heat so nobody freak out on me please). And, if I may be so bold, I am enjoying the banter between some of the members here. As I type, this forum allows for auto correcting most spelling mistakes, but, mold is a correct word, even if one meant molt, but, if you will all read further on, it's a happy ribbing. No need to pounce. Happy season to all, and thanks again, Pyro Friend,