Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Mostly NW

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • All NW

Votes: 10 22.7%

• Total voters

Psingletongolf

Arachnopeon
It seems many people here tend to only keep new world species why is that? We have 11 NW and 10 OW. What is you collection like?

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It seems many people here tend to only keep new world species why is that?
Its amazing that this question would even be asked. Obviously, some keepers prefer not to deal with the venom potency/temperament/speed of OW species. Like many new and/or inexperienced keepers that feel they aren't ready, and that's a good thing.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
As of right now I have more Old Worlds do to some recent sacs but once they are sold I will have majority New Worlds in my collection.

NW:
Acanthosurria - 1 sp.
Avicularia - 17 sp.
Brachypelma - 2 sp.
Chromatopelma - 1 sp.
Cyriocosmus - 2 sp.
Ephebopus - 1 sp.
Eupalaestrus - 1 sp.
Hapalopus - 1 sp.
Holothele - 1 sp.
Lasiodora - 1 sp.
Megaphobema - 1 sp.
Nhandu - 3 sp.
Psalmopoeus - 4 sp.
Pterinopelma - 1 sp.

OW:
Chilobrachys - 1 sp.
Cyriopagopus - 1 sp.
Encyocratella - 1 sp.
Heterothele - 1 sp.
Idiothele - 1 sp.
Lampropelma - 1 sp.
Orphnaecus - 1 sp.
Poecilotheria - 4 sp.
Psednocnemis - 1 sp.
Stromatopelma - 1 sp.

Psingletongolf

Arachnopeon
Its amazing that this question would even be asked. Obviously, some keepers prefer not to deal with the venom potency/temperament/speed of OW species. Like many new and/or inexperienced keepers that feel they aren't ready, and that's a good thing.
I'm taking to experienced keepers clearly I wouldn't expect new keeepers to have tons of ow

Enn49

Arachnosquire
We have 5 OW and 14 NW but not because of venom v hairs but simply because they were the Ts we liked for their colour or pattern

MrDave

Arachnosquire
It seems many people here tend to only keep new world species why is that? We have 11 NW and 10 OW. What is you collection like?
I'm new to this hobby. I'd like to get a bit more experienced so that my first screw-ups don't involve the potent venom of OW tarantulas. I have 5 T's now, and I wouldn't be surprised if my next 5 are all pokies. But not for another year or two.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I'm new to this hobby. I'd like to get a bit more experienced so that my first screw-ups don't involve the potent venom of OW tarantulas. I have 5 T's now, and I wouldn't be surprised if my next 5 are all pokies. But not for another year or two.

That's the way to do it: take it in stages, get comfortable with what you have, and gradually work your way up. There's no reason to rush and do a 'cannonball' in the deep end. Take you time. Enjoy your spiders.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Its mostly old world arboreals,I have a lot of psalmopoeus also...I have a few nw terrestrials kicking around though...

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I had NW's for several years before getting my first OW. By then I was ready for it. At that point I was immediately drawn to the 'spirited' dispositions and industriousness of OW's, always digging and spinning. At this point about 60% of my collection is OW. There are some great NW's which are 'must haves' for me, like arboreals and the big tropical terrestrials.

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have more NW but I prefer OW. Funny how that worked out! I especially love baboons and pokies.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I kind of have a half and half going on, the OW are fun cause they are always active and the NW don't have the crazy venom, I enjoy both for what they are.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I had NW's for several years before getting my first OW. By then I was ready for it. At that point I was immediately drawn to the 'spirited' dispositions and industriousness of OW's, always digging and spinning. At this point about 60% of my collection is OW. There are some great NW's which are 'must haves' for me, like arboreals and the big tropical terrestrials.
+1 I have heard G rosea being called a pet potato , OW cannot be called this. However some OW do hide a lot. I have more NW, but Id like to end up w/more OW.

Last edited:

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm taking to experienced keepers clearly I wouldn't expect new keeepers to have tons of ow
You didn't state that you were talking to experienced keepers only; you said "people here"...many of which are newcomers to the hobby, who joined arachnoboards seeking information and advice. Hence, why some of the more recent active members may only have a NW collection.

JZC

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Right now I have all NW, including a Theraphosa stirmi, so I'm becoming used to attitude. That said, my next order (pretty much set) has no OWs in it, just big tropicals from South America and Avics and Pslamos. I plan on getting used to other spiders that I like with attitude before getting some OWs, because they really are pretty.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
my next order (pretty much set) has no OWs in it, just big tropicals from South America and Avics and Psalmos.

Those are some great spiders, I have a bunch of them myself.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
I keep mostly BMWs but I'm getting more and more into OW. Slowly. I love their attitude, colors and speed. My next purchases minus the one I'll make Saturday, will be mostly OW.

GG80

Arachnoknight
I'm in the same boat. I'm only in the hobby over a year and I have 5 new worlds, 1 adult and 4 slings, all terestrial. Even at that I still get the unexpected behaviour from time to time, particularly from my L.p. Personaly I know that I need more experience before I delve into OW Ts. My next step is gonna be to keep some NW arboreals and go from there.

I trust the experts on this forum when they say there is no rush to start keeping OWs but I woukd love to own some one day.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have had NW for many years, but unfortunately i developed very severe allergi to the hairs, enough to get rispiratory problems. So i have atm 100 OW, but sometimes i do have avics, their hairs dont bother me at all.

sugarsandz

Arachnosquire
I've been in the hobby for two years now and at the moment I'm honestly just not interested in the ow spiders. I like my slow growing, slow moving terrestrials for now. Eventually I'll get some avics then go from there. :)

awiec

Arachnoprince
I've been in the hobby for two years now and at the moment I'm honestly just not interested in the ow spiders. I like my slow growing, slow moving terrestrials for now. Eventually I'll get some avics then go from there. :)
That's the nice thing about spiders, there is one for everyone's skill and interests.