Muticus Sling Molt Question

tbrandt

Arachnosquire
Greetings,

To any individuals with experience keeping Pelinobius Muticus slings - your advice appreciated.

I have read everywhere that these fellows are slow growers. I also read somewhere on here that their pre-molt is pretty long. For me, pre-molt behavior includes closing off all entrances to burrow which I am extrapolating to assume also indicates a disinterest in food.

I am excited to be a patient owner of this interesting and magnificent species, but nonetheless, thought I would ask those more knowledgeable - - -

What is the average pre-molt for a P. Muticus sling (1") from your experiences?

Bonus question: Are their any physical coloration changes with this species to look out for?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey!

One of my favourite species is P.muticus, I've been raising a sling for one year and it has only moulted twice, has gone from 1.5" to 2.25", so that gives you a small glimpse of their growth rate, it is like a snail. These things take about 8 years to mature on average, but that is what makes them so unique, if you have a fully grown muticus specimen that you have raised from a sling, many will envy you haha

Their premoult does involve shutting off the burrow and fasting, they will often go without food for several months even as slings. You can detect a slight discolouration of the abdomen during premoult, it appears darker than normal, however the easier things to detect are lack of interest in food and sealing burrows.

Make sure to provide this species with plenty of substrate to make tunnels because they will use all of it for sure, amazing burrowing species this one. Their hiss is also very unique, it sounds like letting the gas out of a bottle of coke lol This species also demands much respect, they are the largest baboon species and pack a big punch venom wise and are quick on their feet, difficult to care for sometimes but worth it. Enjoy!

Jterry

Arachnosquire
As Suzuki said, their growth rate is like molasses. Mine will go long periods of time without eating before and after a molt, and even between molts they aren't ravenous eaters, IME. All 3 of my slings get fat and shiny when they're in premolt but I haven't noticed a significant coloration difference. Their first molts were preceeded by covering the entrace to their burrows, but two of them molted again recently and neither of them sealed off their burrows beforehand-- they just got fat and shiny and stopped accepting food. I adore this species; my largest is starting to get the lovely, stocky back legs that this species is famous for. Their burrows are deep and well-made, and when they are feeling like eating it's very intertaining to watch. Congrats on your newest acquisition!

awiec

Arachnoprince
My sling is a kind of an orangish color, I've noticed the legs get dark and the abdomen is somewhat shiny. I usually see mine out every day and when it is close to molting I will not see it for a while along with the disinterest in eating my fingers or roaches. I got a .75 one in January and it has molted about 3 times and is maybe 1.3 inches, my G.pulchripes is growing faster than that, so they are a very slow burn T. Probably adds to why they are suggested as an early OW, you get used to them in the 8 years it takes for them to grow up.

MadMauC

Arachnopeon
I started keeping Ts with them, kept warm and well fed they molted an average every 40-50 days - its difficult to view them pre molt when they are burrowed and the entrances are plugged up. I normally wait 10-14 days and let their enclosure dry out completely following which I will heavily mist (almost flooding) and raise the temp will induce them to molt. I have never seen a complete exoskeleton - usually they will break it up and bind it into their burrows.
Growth wise - they are slow in their early instars to juvenile but when they reached to late stage juveniles their growth is quite significant with each subsequent molt.
Their temperaments are quite varied - some individual stridulate and rear up and strike - the ones I have now are quite docile and calm.
Have raised a couple from 1" slings to full adults in 6 years - all females.

tbrandt

Arachnosquire
Thanks all for your advice on this. Much appreciated and very helpful!

Mine closed off the burrow about 3 weeks ago. Since then, when I get a glimpse of it through the side of the deli, it seems as though there has been a darkening of its abdomen.

Based on other's experiences here, I would say that I have a pre-molt situation that will probably see some action in the next week or two.

Thanks again for the advice.

---------- Post added 12-17-2014 at 02:07 PM ----------

Interesting info MadMauC,

I haven't read anything before about inducing molts by controlling temp/humidity. I know that humidity and proper access to moisture is important for successful molts and I have heard these variables used to influence mating, but never for inducing molting. I am pretty new to this hobby so its not surprising that I might not have heard of something.

Is this a common practice with certain species? Thanks.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Thanks all for your advice on this. Much appreciated and very helpful!

Mine closed off the burrow about 3 weeks ago. Since then, when I get a glimpse of it through the side of the deli, it seems as though there has been a darkening of its abdomen.

Based on other's experiences here, I would say that I have a pre-molt situation that will probably see some action in the next week or two.

Thanks again for the advice.

---------- Post added 12-17-2014 at 02:07 PM ----------

Interesting info MadMauC,

I haven't read anything before about inducing molts by controlling temp/humidity. I know that humidity and proper access to moisture is important for successful molts and I have heard these variables used to influence mating, but never for inducing molting. I am pretty new to this hobby so its not surprising that I might not have heard of something.

Is this a common practice with certain species? Thanks.
If I suspect a molt I will pump up the humidity a little to help make the spider feel like it's a safe time to molt. Even CB spiders have their natural cycles programmed into them so you can use that to your advantage.

tbrandt

Arachnosquire
Ha. Came home from work today and P. Muticus had successfully molted. Awesome! Thanks again for your advice. I will wait to see if my Muticus reopens its burrow.

14pokies

Arachnoprince

Is this a common practice with certain species? Thanks.[/QUOTE].

I wouldn't say its common practice, but it is proven..

MadMauC

Arachnopeon
If I suspect a molt I will pump up the humidity a little to help make the spider feel like it's a safe time to molt. Even CB spiders have their natural cycles programmed into them so you can use that to your advantage.
+1 = it has worked for other dry scrubland species - eg the brachy mex red legs genre when I see their bald abdomens blacken I wait about 2 weeks and heavily mist their enclosures which will almost always induce the bald black spots to become shiny, followed up with a slight increment of temp and misting they will start rubbing hairs off their abdomen to lay their molting "mattress".

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What is the average pre-molt for a P. Muticus sling (1") from your experiences?

Bonus question: Are their any physical coloration changes with this species to look out for?
I acquired a 1.0 inch sling in 10/4/2012. He has had 5 known molts in my care, possibly one or two more. Last exuvium from 8/26/2014 measured 3.5+ inches. Time between known molts ranged from 2 to 8 months, increasing with age/size. He stays burrowed much of the time, sometimes allowing me a 'window', sometimes not. He typically destroys his molts and incorporates the parts into his network of tunnels. In August I was able to snag the exuvium before he shredded it.

I've noticed only the vaguest dulling of color prior to a molt.

+1 = it has worked for other dry scrubland species - eg the brachy mex red legs genre when I see their bald abdomens blacken I wait about 2 weeks and heavily mist their enclosures which will almost always induce the bald black spots to become shiny, followed up with a slight increment of temp and misting they will start rubbing hairs off their abdomen to lay their molting "mattress".
I have seen local weather changes instigate molt fests in my collection, regardless of individual husbandry or species land of origin. Change of husbandry in mid molt cycle may speed up the cycle. However, if their abdomens are already blackening, then a molt is imminent anyway. Increasing temp and/or humidity at that point doesn't induce a process that is already in the works.

MadMauC

Arachnopeon
I acquired a 1.0 inch sling in 10/4/2012. He has had 5 known molts in my care, possibly one or two more. Last exuvium from 8/26/2014 measured 3.5+ inches. Time between known molts ranged from 2 to 8 months, increasing with age/size. He stays burrowed much of the time, sometimes allowing me a 'window', sometimes not. He typically destroys his molts and incorporates the parts into his network of tunnels. In August I was able to snag the exuvium before he shredded it.

I've noticed only the vaguest dulling of color prior to a molt.

I have seen local weather changes instigate molt fests in my collection, regardless of individual husbandry or species land of origin. Change of husbandry in mid molt cycle may speed up the cycle. However, if their abdomens are already blackening, then a molt is imminent anyway. Increasing temp and/or humidity at that point doesn't induce a process that is already in the works.
Increasing the temp and humidity will shorten the molt cycle process significantly - no harm trying if you have a T that appears to be "caught" in a limbo - off feed in premolt but not molting. I have about 85 slings of various species kept with same conditions - I experimented with 30 slings again of various species - Out of the 30 slings that were in premolt (shiny fat abdomens and off feed) - I divided them into 2 groups - 15 were kept their regular conditions - other 15 were allowed a slight drying out period (7 days) followed by heavy misting and increment of temp from 26C to 29C. 12 of these molted within 4 days of each other the remainer molted out 3 days later. Of the other regular 15 slings - they all molted about 6-9 days later. I do have to caution with slings, the drying process has to be monitored closely, slings are very prone to dehydration, I did lost 1 sling to that this year.

I got two 1" Muticus slings in July this year, they have molted 4 times and grew to 3.5"- could be males havent had opps to sex them - i have never gotten to raise a male Muticus, all the slings I have raised grew into females, so these 2 could be my lucky break:)

Last edited:

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Increasing humidity and conditions suitable to moulting does not 'induce' moulting in tarantulas, however it does encourage the tarantula to moult. Ts are waiting not just for their second layer to be prepared but also for the right moment to begin the process. If a T is constantly disturbed during the premoult phase or if the conditions are not right, it will wait to moult. However eventually it is going to get to the point where it must moult regardless of conditions and this can be dangerous for it

By supplying good conditions, we are not forcing the T to moult but are rather encouraging it to choose to moult sooner than wait longer =)

---------- Post added 12-18-2014 at 11:46 PM ----------

Ha. Came home from work today and P. Muticus had successfully molted. Awesome! Thanks again for your advice. I will wait to see if my Muticus reopens its burrow.
Great to hear! I would be interested in the size growth when you can get the information safely (as in safely for the T)

MadMauC

Arachnopeon
My 2 juveniles are kept 7" of dirt/zoo med clay - 1 is in an opaque container - the other is in a clear transparent tub - the one in the opaque container rarely plugs the burrow whereas the one in clear glass almost always has the burrow plug. Not sure if this has anything to do with the transparency of the container, but the clear container T has gotten more "outgoing" since I decided to
Cover sides of the transparent Tub with a black sheet of paper.

Last edited:

awiec

Arachnoprince
Increasing humidity and conditions suitable to moulting does not 'induce' moulting in tarantulas, however it does encourage the tarantula to moult. Ts are waiting not just for their second layer to be prepared but also for the right moment to begin the process. If a T is constantly disturbed during the premoult phase or if the conditions are not right, it will wait to moult. However eventually it is going to get to the point where it must moult regardless of conditions and this can be dangerous for it

By supplying good conditions, we are not forcing the T to moult but are rather encouraging it to choose to moult sooner than wait longer =)

---------- Post added 12-18-2014 at 11:46 PM ----------

Great to hear! I would be interested in the size growth when you can get the information safely (as in safely for the T)
This what I meant by my post, the spider is already in the cycle, I'm just trying to make it as comfortable as possible when it does molt.

tbrandt

Arachnosquire
Just following up on this request. Growth on the P.Muticus from last molt on 12/18/14 was .5" increase. So it went from about 1" to 1.5." It was a pretty sizable increase, which was pleasing.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I got one that was 1 1/2" a year ago, that's over 3" now. That's a moderate rate, certainly not as bad as some people make it out to be.

tbrandt

Arachnosquire
Yeah, thats not bad at all. I am ok with being patient on this one. There is a part of me that will be very happy when it reaches about 2"

Do you know how many molts yours went through in that time? Thanks!

I got one that was 1 1/2" a year ago, that's over 3" now. That's a moderate rate, certainly not as bad as some people make it out to be.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Yeah, thats not bad at all. I am ok with being patient on this one. There is a part of me that will be very happy when it reaches about 2"

Do you know how many molts yours went through in that time?

Several sheds in 12 months. I can't complain.

cold blood

Staff member
I got one this past summer at maybe 1/2", maybe a little bigger. I keep it warm, and feed it well (although slightly less often than other slings)...its molted about every 45 days and its pre-molt fast period has averaged about 9 days. Growth has been anything but a snails pace...I'd say moderate, as said above. Mine has been a good eater as well. Pre-molt the things abdomen looks like a well fed tick.

Mine is now about 1.25"