When to breed?

lucarelli78

Arachnosquire
I did a forum search for breeding and found a lot of threads, but not the one I was looking for. I have a 4.5-5 inch female OBT. I got her via mail order, listed as a 1.5 in. juvie, but arrived as a 2.5-3 inch female about 1 year ago.

Do I wait until she is a certain age, or is she ready now?

Attachments

awiec

Arachnoprince
Generally with spiders, the bigger they are the better off the future offspring are. So I think you certainly could breed her, their max size is around 6 inches. I personally would wait until she is a solid 5 inches or grows another .25-.5 inches. I would also suggest looking at her molt to make sure she is mature (the spermathecae will be darkened). Just make sure you have a place to send off the slings to as these are notorious to double clutch and the slings are everywhere, besides that good luck with your future breeding plans

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Generally with spiders, the bigger they are the better off the future offspring are. So I think you certainly could breed her, their max size is around 6 inches. I personally would wait until she is a solid 5 inches or grows another .25-.5 inches.
+1. I wouldn't breed an OBT female until she hit 5". There's no hurry, the market's usually flooded with them and you may sit on the slings for a long time.

Neoza

Arachnobaron
Can anyone post a picture of a normal murinus and not a RCF? Sorry that i ask it in this thread but i dont wanted tot start a new thread for that. Its because i have one (sling), and i already looked in the gallery and on the net and i only see RCF's.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Can anyone post a picture of a normal murinus and not a RCF? Sorry that i ask it in this thread but i dont wanted tot start a new thread for that. Its because i have one (sling), and i already looked in the gallery and on the net and i only see RCF's.
Those used to be common in the US in the 1990's, when they were coming in from the wild. Back then the orange/red form was scarce and much more desirable. Unfortunately people didn't keep breeding that other color form (brown with green carapace) and it seems to have disappeared. It's a shame, as prolific as they are, it wouldn't have taken much effort to keep them going here.

Neoza

Arachnobaron
Those used to be common in the US in the 1990's, when they were coming in from the wild. Back then the orange/red form was scarce and much more desirable. Unfortunately people didn't keep breeding that other color form (brown with green carapace) and it seems to have disappeared. It's a shame, as prolific as they are, it wouldn't have taken much effort to keep them going here.
Well i have one, and he/she looks dark orange, but not with a green carapace? But maybe you cant see it at this stage? (3/4 inch)? Or the seller set me up, and sold me a bastard.

Last edited:

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
I was wondering this as well. I have a GBB thats female and would like to breed her. she's almost a solid 6, not quite though. How do you go about finding a male....? Besides asking around. And I'm assuming breeding would work the same way as buying Ts? There's steps. Like don't make your first breed a pokie?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Well i have one, and he/she looks dark orange, but not with a green carapace? But maybe you cant see it at this stage? (3/4 inch)?

I've forgotten what the brown/green form looked like as slings. Sure wish I had some now though.

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
There's a picture of a tan color form on tarantula canadas website, not sure if that's what you're looking for or if it's just yet another color form.

Neoza

Arachnobaron
Mines are more orange but very dark orange. But ive seen slings from the RFC and they were also dark, others not but it depends. Maybe there are more forms then just the RFC and the one with green. Because this one has no green carapace.

lucarelli78

Arachnosquire
Generally with spiders, the bigger they are the better off the future offspring are. So I think you certainly could breed her, their max size is around 6 inches. I personally would wait until she is a solid 5 inches or grows another .25-.5 inches. I would also suggest looking at her molt to make sure she is mature (the spermathecae will be darkened). Just make sure you have a place to send off the slings to as these are notorious to double clutch and the slings are everywhere, besides that good luck with your future breeding plans
Thanks for answering

---------- Post added 12-17-2014 at 05:50 PM ----------

+1. I wouldn't breed an OBT female until she hit 5". There's no hurry, the market's usually flooded with them and you may sit on the slings for a long time.
Thanks for answering

Thanks for hijacking my thread

Neoza

Arachnobaron
Thanks for answering

Thanks for answering

Thanks for hijacking my thread
A lot of people are complainig that there are to much threads about small things!!!! And i ensure you, a lot! Sorry that i want to help with that!! It happens so mich that people start to talk about orher things in a thread! How do tou think that threads get 4 pages long? Not because they stick to the same subject, and i dont mean a totally other subject, a subject that is relevant. And in my case it is revelant because were talking about a murinus! And the words 'MY thread' are not correct! You started the thread, but its from everyone!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
It happens so mich that people start to talk about orher things in a thread! How do tou think that threads get 4 pages long? Not because they stick to the same subject, and i dont mean a totally other subject, a subject that is relevant. And in my case it is revelant because were talking about a murinus! And the words 'MY thread' are not correct! You started the thread, but its from everyone!
You're right. Once you submit a topic on an international forum, it becomes a public conversion and you can't control people's responses. It's no longer 'the OP's thread.' It's people talking and the person who started them talking doesn't get to control or censor what's discussed and where the conversation flows... the moderators do. When you're talking to someone in person, do you tell them to 'shut up' every time they veer from your intended topic? We're only human, and a lot of times the extraneous input on related topics provides some good info. Most threads would be much shorter with all that filtered out, and also less informative.

Neoza

Arachnobaron
image.jpg So, this is one of my OBT slings, what do you guys think? RCF or normal murinus?