But Honey!

scarhbar

Arachnopeon
Aww man, you just saw that your favorite online Tarantula dealer just got some really nicely priced P. Metallica slings. You start making plans as to where you are going to keep it, what tank you'll buy, and all of the other fun stuff, but then out of no where, your wife/husband/boyfriend/girlfriend notices. Then they give you the "no-more-Tarantulas" stare followed by some conversation about how you already have so many T's as it is. Or maybe even your parents (though that's a little different story). What are some of the reasons and excuses you've tried using to get another one?

I know most of us are adults here, and are free to make our own choices. I'm just writing this to see what fun excuses you've come up with.

"But, honey, I'm pretty sure this one is a male. I need another one so that I might have a chance of getting a female!"

"But, honey, this one is so rare! It might not be around for very long." (it was an OBT :wink: shhh)

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Aww man, you just saw that your favorite online Tarantula dealer just got some really nicely priced P. Metallica slings. You start making plans as to where you are going to keep it, what tank you'll buy, and all of the other fun stuff, but then out of no where, your wife/husband/boyfriend/girlfriend notices. Then they give you the "no-more-Tarantulas" stare followed by some conversation about how you already have so many T's as it is. Or maybe even your parents (though that's a little different story). What are some of the reasons and excuses you've tried using to get another one?

I know most of us are adults here, and are free to make our own choices. I'm just writing this to see what fun excuses you've come up with.

"But, honey, I'm pretty sure this one is a male. I need another one so that I might have a chance of getting a female!"

"But, honey, this one is so rare! It might not be around for very long." (it was an OBT :wink: shhh)
The trick is to buy it and get it set up and added to your collection without telling them. Then (if you already have a good number) they won't notice! ...usually :p

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I'm lucky,my gf likes ts as much as I do...almost....its usually her that is like hey baby do we have room for a couple more spiders? These are really pretty do you want to buy some? I'm still having trouble with her letting me bring hot species of scorpions or lactrodectus and sicarius sp. Into the house tho.. I don't force the issue when she's comfortable with the idea I'll get some..PS warnings against the species listed above are not needed..I've been a venomous reptile keeper for most of my life..its only because of local laws that I don't own any hots..

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
I'm usually saying "Oh we have room." "They aren't even hard to care for" "This one is free" "This one is cheap" "This one is pretty". My collection lives at my bfs. He's laid down the law and said no more. My roommate has a "no pet bugs in the house" rule. So I have begun tactically placing them in my room because not buying them isn't an option :)

samatwwe

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My excuse I use quite often is that "Look at them as investments. A $10 sling can sell for $100 as an adult female." :sarcasm: or I say that I will sell a few after I get the new one I want....I still have yet to sell any... :laugh:

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My excuse I use quite often is that "Look at them as investments. A $10 sling can sell for $100 as an adult female." :sarcasm: or I say that I will sell a few after I get the new one I want....I still have yet to sell any... :laugh:
This will be my excuse when I start breeding! :p

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ME/ look what followed me home. Her/why is it in a box? ME/So it doesn't get lost. Her/ why is there a label on the box with our address. ME/Incase it becomes separated it can find its new home. Me/ Its name is and quickly make up name. Her/ dont you have enough? Me/ I am only replacing one that died. Then/ Pull out one of my old molts and show her with sad face. I know true sign of a addict

David VB

Arachnosquire
I really never have to come up with excuses tbh. My GF doesn't like those hairy fur balls with eight legs, but she will never tell me not to get another. In fact, when she asks what i want for christmas, i tell her enclosures for new spiders and then she usually gets them from the LPS :)

MrDave

Arachnosquire
"But honey, I don't have them all yet!"

When my wife looked at my collection and asked "How many of these things do you have?" I answered '5'. Some a bit smarter would have just said '10'.

---------- Post added 12-17-2014 at 07:51 PM ----------

Pull out one of my old molts and show her with sad face.
Ok, THIS is brilliant.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I am 20 and single, so i do not have much room to say anything, but i would ignore the other half and when asked why i purchased more tarantulas, i would reply, "sorry señora i didn't hear you, say that again"

Methal

Arachnosquire
Wife and I just put "mad money" for each other into our budget....You know? money you spend on whatever you want? Keeps me from going mad, but makes my wife mad. I get about 100 bucks a pay check to spend on whatever I want. she really doesn't like the Ts, but she understands its my thing, and doesn't say no. I give her the same respect.

Trust and respect.
works with tarantulas too. You respect them, and trust that they wont bite you :laugh:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Wife and I just put "mad money" for each other into our budget....You know? money you spend on whatever you want? Keeps me from going mad, but makes my wife mad. I get about 100 bucks a pay check to spend on whatever I want. she really doesn't like the Ts, but she understands its my thing, and doesn't say no. I give her the same respect.

Trust and respect.
works with tarantulas too. You respect them, and trust that they wont bite you :laugh:
I am single, but Ts are often misunderstood. Uneducated, schools brainwash everyone these days you cannot expect anyone to not be afraid of spiders because it is programmed into people by media.

No jobs exist in most degrees, I am having fun paying A house payment & get nothing in return.

sugarsandz

Arachnosquire
My husband and I are living with my parents while I'm in school so I still have to okay pets with them. The first spider was brought in by my younger sister then she gave it to me and I became tarantula crazy.

My parents were leery at first of me bringing in any more spiders but soon realized that I was a responsible adult. They don't want any old world t's in the house but I'm not into those yet so I don't care.

When I go to ask if another spider is okay I usually just get right to the point and am prepared for any questions. I haven't been turned down yet! :)

MrDave

Arachnosquire
Trust and respect.
I always tong-feed my wife and keep my fingers out of her enclosure. No bites yet.

scarhbar

Arachnopeon
These are awesome! Keep them coming!

---------- Post added 12-17-2014 at 11:44 PM ----------

The trick is to buy it and get it set up and added to your collection without telling them. Then (if you already have a good number) they won't notice! ...usually :p
I have 2 :/ She would definitely see!

---------- Post added 12-17-2014 at 11:46 PM ----------

I'm usually saying "Oh we have room." "They aren't even hard to care for" "This one is free" "This one is cheap" "This one is pretty". My collection lives at my bfs. He's laid down the law and said no more. My roommate has a "no pet bugs in the house" rule. So I have begun tactically placing them in my room because not buying them isn't an option :)
Ah, I really wish I could do this! I really want that tiny P. Metallica, but they require a little more care than normal :/ I think she would notice fairly quickly grrrr

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That one is HILARIOUS because it was an OBT!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I've never made up reasons actually. I lay down the ANIMAL LAW in my relationships. They either like it or they can leave.

---------- Post added 12-17-2014 at 10:52 PM ----------

.I've been a venomous reptile keeper for most of my life..its only because of local laws that I don't own any hots..
There are some beautiful hots that are stellar looking. What have you owned?

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
i do mention im thinking about a order sometimes.. but.. when it boils down to it.. im like "im probably going to place an order for.." and ALWAYS get the "you dont need any more" look or the "why would you get more you have enough" talk/comment.. im like "meh its already at the fedex office":biggrin::love: