Life changers

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I have only been in this hobby for almost five months, but in that short time, my life changed for the better. I no longer am a 5'6 1/2 ft 244 pound arachnophobe that would look for the first throwable object that i could use to kill the innocent little spiders that are just out minding their own and not causing any harm. I ask now, how has the tarantula hobby and individual specimens changed your life (in apositive way)?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have only been in this hobby for almost five months, but in that short time, my life changed for the better. I no longer am a 5'6 1/2 ft 244 pound arachnophobe that would look for the first throwable object that i could use to kill the innocent little spiders that are just out minding their own and not causing any harm. I ask now, how has the tarantula hobby and individual specimens changed your life (in apositive way)?
Humans are terribly egocentric, your past behavior is definitely proof of that, as many others have demonstrated as well. However, SOME people have the capacity for change, even beyond their own expectations, again you are proof of that too.

The salient question is what contributed towards your change?

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Arachnophobia is a disease spread by hollywood that i was ready to cure my self of

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
No one should fear creatures that god created, since they have to live with them no matter where they go and i am a big animal lover and spiders are animals an i had been hating them, so in january of this year i decided it was time to do some research and eventually buy a tarantula and get over the fear. Buying a tarantula is the only way a person can get over a fear of spiders. No amount of research or television can help recovering arachnophobes get over the fear, if anything it makes the fear worse, i wanted no part of it and now here i am in december wuth three very healthy, active and amusing B. Albopilosum slings.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No one should fear creatures that god created, since they have to live with them no matter where they go and i am a big animal lover and spiders are animals an i had been hating them, so in january of this year i decided it was time to do some research and eventually buy a tarantula and get over the fear. Buying a tarantula is the only way a person can get over a fear of spiders. No amount of research or television can help recovering arachnophobes get over the fear, if anything it makes the fear worse, i wanted no part of it and now here i am in december wuth three very healthy, active and amusing B. Albopilosum slings.
Well if only everyone else thought like you, the animals would be better off. Now pass on your story to others when you are able to. That you were once phobic and how you changed.

You picked a great species to start with. They are tough as nails, and are amazing eaters. Mine is a cricket compactor ;) She went from half dollar DLS to young almost adult size in one summer. The growth gains were amazing and surprising. Also the only T w/wild curled setae. I have noticed that the degree of curl can vary. I saw one once years ago that had REALLY curly setae.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
They attack their prey item like it is going to come back to life and run off.

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
....You picked a great species to start with. They are tough as nails, and are amazing eaters.....
I concur, GREAT first species, they are ALMOST idiot proof. I have four (3 slings & 1 JF), all came as freebies with orders. Tough as nails for sure, Viper. They'd be my choice as the one species to survive a nuclear blast. And voracious eaters! I wouldn't be surprised to one day see one of them do a ninja roll when tackling prey, they go with such gusto. :)

Panzo, it was a HUGE step you took to get over your fear, not everyone has that kind of courage (and being a police officer, I've seen my share of what does & does not constitute courage). Wishing you many more years in the hobby & many more slings to raise.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I got into the hobby 35+ years ago due to an arachnophobia that was neither familial nor Hollywood generated. I decided to face my fears head on. "Changed my life for the better"? Well, if being poorer due to my addiction is better, then, yes. LOL

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Arachnophobia is a disease spread by hollywood that i was ready to cure my self of
Hollywood may perpetuate it, but it certainly isn't the cause. Remember, our species was born on the African grasslands where OW's and scorpions pack a potent, and in some cases fatal, punch. I imagine we have a genetic memory that reminds us to avoid these creatures, and some of us still live where such an aversion can be helpful. But the great thing about people is we can recognize our fear and overcome it. Kudos to you overcoming yours.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hollywood may perpetuate it, but it certainly isn't the cause. Remember, our species was born on the African grasslands where OW's and scorpions pack a potent, and in some cases fatal, punch. I imagine we have a genetic memory that reminds us to avoid these creatures, and some of us still live where such an aversion can be helpful. But the great thing about people is we can recognize our fear and overcome it. Kudos to you overcoming yours.
I speculated the same myself. I'm pretty sure that has been tested and disproven scientifically. However, recently this year I believe scientists did fine a part of the brain that responds to snakes, and is connected to fear centers.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I concur, GREAT first species, they are ALMOST idiot proof. I have four (3 slings & 1 JF), all came as freebies with orders. Tough as nails for sure, Viper. They'd be my choice as the one species to survive a nuclear blast. And voracious eaters! I wouldn't be surprised to one day see one of them do a ninja roll when tackling prey, they go with such gusto. :)

Panzo, it was a HUGE step you took to get over your fear, not everyone has that kind of courage (and being a police officer, I've seen my share of what does & does not constitute courage). Wishing you many more years in the hobby & many more slings to raise.
which species?? A lot of terrestrials fit this.:o_O:

I was never arachnophobic, but my first G rosea looked huge to me I was scared to handle it. G porteri is my stockiest 5.5" T , i DO NOT handle my Ts anymore.

Last edited:

Azarath

Arachnopeon
I myself have a fear of spiders. It's not extreme, but I get these horrible shivers sometimes when I'm surprised by a big fatty one. So, I figured landing myself a tarantula after doing months and months of research would push me to the point of getting over it. Luckily it's a small juvenile, so nothing too gaudy for me to get overwhelmed with. And it's adorable, so there's that, too. I'm slightly afraid to handle it, but at the same time, I've been reading that even if they're good for handling, it's not recommended, because they don't really enjoy it. So, I'll just leave it alone. For now, at least. Until I'm completely comfortable with holding it and completely prepared to deal with whatever consequences might arise from it. Urticating hairs, a bite, a leap, etc. I like to prepare calmly for the worst.

But anyway, I can concur that having an actual tarantula in your care does indeed help with getting over the fear. But... What I find interesting though, is that I still balk at spiders I find in the house. I get those shivers and immediately look for something to put it down with. I think it's because I don't think of tarantulas as spiders, really... I find them too large to be considered as spiders, I guess, so to me they're like a small rodent-like pet. By rodent I just mean by size. Not by mannerisms and appearance, obviously. I guess I'm just strange, huh?

gobey

Arachnoknight
I just think they're cool. :)

I wanted one as a kid/teenager. Now I have one.

16 actually...

Changed my life for the positive? Well in 6 months I've gained a new hobby. One that connects me with a new group of people (you fun bunch of peoples), has sparked a desire to learn and educate others about something, got me to do a lot of reading again, and gives me my little spider friends to care for. They're just a blast to have and watch and see the wee babies grow.

Something new and different. I needed it at the time. I was injured and taken out of my powerlifting competition that I trained for years to enter, so I was very depressed. And a little grey grouchy Grammostola would change all that as well as a nervous little male Avic with the pinkest of feet. :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I myself have a fear of spiders. It's not extreme, but I get these horrible shivers sometimes when I'm surprised by a big fatty one. So, I figured landing myself a tarantula after doing months and months of research would push me to the point of getting over it. Luckily it's a small juvenile, so nothing too gaudy for me to get overwhelmed with. And it's adorable, so there's that, too. I'm slightly afraid to handle it, but at the same time, I've been reading that even if they're good for handling, it's not recommended, because they don't really enjoy it. So, I'll just leave it alone. For now, at least. Until I'm completely comfortable with holding it and completely prepared to deal with whatever consequences might arise from it. Urticating hairs, a bite, a leap, etc. I like to prepare calmly for the worst.

But anyway, I can concur that having an actual tarantula in your care does indeed help with getting over the fear. But... What I find interesting though, is that I still balk at spiders I find in the house. I get those shivers and immediately look for something to put it down with. I think it's because I don't think of tarantulas as spiders, really... I find them too large to be considered as spiders, I guess, so to me they're like a small rodent-like pet. By rodent I just mean by size. Not by mannerisms and appearance, obviously. I guess I'm just strange, huh?
Do yourself a favor and observe and/or own some jumping spiders. They don't enjoy being handled. They don't even like the touch of human flesh because it's too soft in my opinion from my observations. Ts like firm ground. Plus, if handled, there's the potential of hurting your pet in some fashion, and of course being bitten.