Grammostola pulchripes

BRussell

Arachnopeon
Hi guys,
so I know the Grammostolas can be slow growers. My G.pulchripes I've had for about a year still pretty small 1/2" I think, she/he spends so much time hidden so I don't see much of her/him. I put in crickets and they disappear. So all is well. To get to my question, do they take 2 years to get to close to full grown or longer?? I thought 2 years but the way we're going It may take 5 lol.

assidreemz

Arachnosquire
What temps is the t kept at? Night/day?
How large was the t when you acquired it?
When you say you put crickets in, how often/many is that?

EDIT: How large is the t's enclosure?
That's an extremely long time to remain that size, in captivity atleast.

gizmosdeath

Arachnopeon
What temps is the t kept at? Night/day?
How large was the t when you acquired it?
When you say you put crickets in, how often/many is that?

EDIT: How large is the t's enclosure?
That's an extremely long time to remain that size, in captivity atleast.
+1 I received my G. Pulchripes in March of last year and she is now at about 4" and due for another molt soon. I think she hit the 3" mark at about a year and she was about 1/4" when I received her. My T room usually stays between 73 to 80 degrees and here enclosure is kept dry with a full water dish. She eats like a boss too.

BRussell

Arachnopeon
it is commonly kept at room temp 70 plus. I have put it thru high humidity at times. I feed about once weekly. it did go thru about an almost 10 month feed refusal then came out,fed and hid again. the enclosure is about a equal to 3 liquid cups (deli container).I agree a long time to remain that size which is my concern. my gut tells me that its eating so leave alone but my brain is not happy. has coconut substrate and a small piece of bark (cleaned) as a lean to for a hide. has pulled up alot of substrate around the bark

cold blood

Staff member
it is commonly kept at room temp 70 plus. I have put it thru high humidity at times. I feed about once weekly. it did go thru about an almost 10 month feed refusal then came out,fed and hid again. the enclosure is about a equal to 3 liquid cups (deli container).I agree a long time to remain that size which is my concern. my gut tells me that its eating so leave alone but my brain is not happy. has coconut substrate and a small piece of bark (cleaned) as a lean to for a hide. has pulled up alot of substrate around the bark
Personally I would feed it twice a week, slings want to grow, don't hold back.

gizmosdeath

Arachnopeon
I agree with cold blood and feed a little more. Also, I kept my sling in a 2" by 2" acrylic cube when it was that small and I was able to watch her at all times. I can't tell you how much she excavated in that thing and I was able to see it all. I almost named her dozer. She created some pretty cool tunnels and liked piling dirt up to the vent holes to spill dirt everywhere and create a mess for me lol.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Pulchripes slings can get 3"+ in a year. I have ones that I got a year and a half ago at 3-4", that just matured in males. Their growth rate is moderate if kept warmer and fed more often. If you don't do that, they can really slow down. They don't need to be on a diet.

assidreemz

Arachnosquire
They don't need to be on a diet.
Haha no they don't
But my Grammostolas sure are fatties, they have eaten 3-4 times a week for about 4 months straight.
*prays to spider gods begging to not let a fast befall my little guys*

awiec

Arachnoprince
Hi guys,
so I know the Grammostolas can be slow growers. My G.pulchripes I've had for about a year still pretty small 1/2" I think, she/he spends so much time hidden so I don't see much of her/him. I put in crickets and they disappear. So all is well. To get to my question, do they take 2 years to get to close to full grown or longer?? I thought 2 years but the way we're going It may take 5 lol.
2 years is not really realistic, I'd say 3-5 is more likely depending on how you keep it. I have a G.pulchripes that I bought as a 2nd instar 14 months ago and it is about 1.5 inches, granted I keep my collection cooler so that would explain the slower growth. But staying that small for such a long time is a little strange. Bump up the temps and/or feed it more often, mine has an appetite that would make my big south american species blush.