G. rosea hasn't molted in four years

LovelyOnions

Arachnopeon
So, yeah, I have a G. rosea that I've had for maybe six or seven years and she's molted twice since I had her: once within a few months of getting her and once two years later. This was fine by me because she was molting at the opposite times than one would expect, as if she was still on the Chile clock and not the North American clock of the seasons so I always figured she's an old girl that may have been imported at an old age. Sure, that's great!

However, I was wondering if other people have these longggggg periods of moltless times, because four years seems like a lot
. I give her way less food in the winter than summer and try and give her more "rain" in the spring (really I just over fill the water and pretend I'm controlling the weather). I don't know if I just underfed her so much that she's frozen in time or what, but every few days she moves like the good pet rock she is.

She's never done that Chilean rose fast I've heard of either where they just don't eat, except for like, around when she molted those two times and I didn't feed her until three months after because I don't want crickets to kill her because that would be embarassing for everyone involved.

Sorry for typos. iPhones and late.

But yeah, main point: do other people see this lack of growing?

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is not abnormal, roseas have very slow growth rates, and all Ts when they are fully grown moult very infrequently.

cold blood

Staff member
Mine has been on a 4 year schedule since I got her 14 years ago. There was someone here that posted a while back that had one on a 6 year molting schedule.

On another note, 2 weeks is plenty to wait after a molt, they NEED food to recover from the stresses of molting and that's a bad time to deprive her of food for 3 months.

Sounds like you have her on a good schedule otherwise.

Mine shuts down instantly if water so much as spills, I never "flood" anything with mine.

LovelyOnions

Arachnopeon
Mine has seemed pretty ok with my "floods" because they're really more comparable to water spills. I let myself be a little careless with it since I don't really have any rooms without a lot of artificial light so I do what I can.

I keep my girl on the three month fast because I think somewhere there was a thing where you could just wait to feed them the same amount of time when they decide to stop eating. Mine stops eating three months ahead which is why I'll wait three months after for her. I think the first molt j had her for she didn't even eat the next time I offered her a meal and I had to get rid of the food anyway, so I think she's fine with that. Her abdomen always seems a fair size to me, neither big or small, which is usually what I go by.

Thanks for letting me know these long molt schedules are definitely a thing, because I had always felt like often they're yearly and then tarantulas skip a year or two as they're older but her schedule seemed like a bit much. Thank you!