In an ideal world...

sunnyle

Arachnopeon
Hey community, I was just curious...
So everyone has their statements and opinions on tarantulas and which species are deemed suitable for beginners and veterans. I believe it is the common opinion that in order to own more advanced tarantulas, a hobbyist must "work their way up" and progress with more and more skittish/aggressive/intermediate tarantulas. I would like to know, in an ideal world, what would the order of tarantulas a hobbyist should own? I personally have a 3.5-4" A. seemani and that is my first and only T (so far).

What would be the appropriate next step? next step after that? and after that? I don't want to sound like I'm getting too ahead of myself, I just want to know what is appropriate as I progress in the T hobby.

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just stick with NW for a while and get a mix of arboreals and terrestrials. There are so many different and wonderful spiders that it is difficult to name an exact species. It sounds like you are still in the beginner stage however so I wouldn't get any arboreals for now, just get a few terrestrials that aren't too defensive like A. geniculata or L. parahybana or something along those lines. Just don't backpedal to a rosea or some other super docile species. (And yeah I know even a rosea can be mean)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
It's best to start off with some of the calmer NW terrestrials, like Brachypelma and Aphonopelma. Get familiar with them. Then some of the tropical NW terrestrials, like Acanthoscurria, Lasiodora, Pamphobeteus, Phormictopus, & Nhandu. Don't be in a hurry to get Avics; many beginners lose them, as their care is different than other tarantulas.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
I agree with poec. That's the order I essentially went in. I kept rosea and geniculata and parahybana and I got my avics after I got OWs. GBB is a good step in the direction of NW arboreals. They're nervous and quick. Most of the Ephebopus genus are defensive and quick and need a bit more humidity (at least e murinus, I don't keep the others yet). Psalmos are good to start defensive arboreals. Some might suggest taps, but apparently they're obnoxiously fast. After time with those then maybe a calmer OW terrestrial. Some pokies can be less defensive but they have paparticularly potent venom.

Pokie Master

Arachnosquire
No matter what you choose to go with even if you would skip straight to any old world species or progress slowly it's always best to do your research. Even if you can't find info in that species then look for info from where it's from. Try to match climates from where the species is from. Remember each species has different levels of tolerances but all command respect. I say if you have done the research and feel ready to take on a challenge and responsibility then don't be afraid to try anything out there.

cold blood

Staff member
IMO research doesn't mean squat until you have actual experience. Without proper experience, research merely leads to a false sense of security, which is why many of us recommend going slowly and working your way up in steps. The more experience you have, the more research will help. Newbies research and don't really always know which piece of info they read/see is good advice and which is poor and all too often we see newbies fixating on less than desirable information as their research has led them astray.

I concur with both problemchild and poec. Stick with NW terrestrials for a while, raise them to decent sizes and only when you are confident with them in every facet, should you then move up. Next step, like mentioned would be something like an avic, but like poec said, jumping to them too early very often doesn't end well, especially with small slings. Once you have avics down, go to Psalmopeous or a camler OW terrestrials like C. mashalli or A. ezendami. When you are comfortable there, the t world is your oyster.

Don't be in a hurry, it will take most years to progress, which is ok, because they aren't going anywhere, in fact by the time you are ready, the number of available species could vastly increase and there may end up being t's available that you really like that just aren't available or reasonable now. The future of the hobby just keeps getting brighter.

There are PLENTY of really special and even spectacular NW terrestrials available, more than enough to keep you busy and happy. Plus those big NW terrestrials are some of the best eaters out there, they almost all grow quickly and many look simply fantastic, not to mention they tend to be the most visible. The entry level t's available today are abundant and fantastic to own.

Best of luck in the hobby sunnyle.

Last edited:

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
+1 I wouldn't suggest just reading and jumping right in because you feel ready. I could read all I want about juggling chainsaws and feel ready but that doesn't mean I should rev 4 of them up and give it a go. I'm sure we all know how that would end. I should probably juggle knives or rattlesnakes first. But i do think research is key, because just trial and error isn't a great approach either. Like CB said, there's so many beautiful beginner and intermediate NWs. Even though I have OWs and am still moving into them, I still buy NWs if I see species I really want. Even though I want a lot of OW Ts and will begin to focus on them, I'm in no hurry to stop acquiring NWs. I haven't even gotten a pamph sp. yet!

Pokie Master

Arachnosquire
+1 I wouldn't suggest just reading and jumping right in because you feel ready. I could read all I want about juggling chainsaws and feel ready but that doesn't mean I should rev 4 of them up and give it a go. I'm sure we all know how that would end. I should probably juggle knives or rattlesnakes first. But i do think research is key, because just trial and error isn't a great approach either. Like CB said, there's so many beautiful beginner and intermediate NWs. Even though I have OWs and am still moving into them, I still buy NWs if I see species I really want. Even though I want a lot of OW Ts and will begin to focus on them, I'm in no hurry to stop acquiring NWs. I haven't even gotten a pamph sp. yet!
That's a good point too. I'm not saying everything you read you can believe. But doing as much research as possible is a big key. Slow progressing is the safest way I agree. In the end it's your choice just so long as you fully understand what you may be getting yourself into. If your looking for an old world besides an arboreal Asian look into a monocentropus balfouri. Usually calmer old world species but still very fast!

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
That's a good point too. I'm not saying everything you read you can believe. But doing as much research as possible is a big key. Slow progressing is the safest way I agree. In the end it's your choice just so long as you fully understand what you may be getting yourself into. If your looking for an old world besides an arboreal Asian look into a monocentropus balfouri. Usually calmer old world species but still very fast!
Oh absolutely. It would be a terrible idea to just go buy a rando spider but the OP already knows that. Sadly not everyone does and then they end up with a pokienado in their room, or theyre super into juggling and juggle pokies (staying with my dumb theme here). Yeah m balfouri are relatively docile for an OW. I have yet to get one but I really need to. They're just so good looking.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
It's best to start off with some of the calmer NW terrestrials, like Brachypelma and Aphonopelma. Get familiar with them. Then some of the tropical NW terrestrials, like Acanthoscurria, Lasiodora, Pamphobeteus, Phormictopus, & Nhandu. Don't be in a hurry to get Avics; many beginners lose them, as their care is different than other tarantulas.
+1 remember some of those hairs can be worse than a OW bite(or just as painfull) if your alergic like me.:geek:

So best advice try not to get haired every if you are new.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's probably a little unnecessary, but I prefer to wear eye protection when working with hair kickers. At least that's one less thing to worry about.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
It's probably a little unnecessary, but I prefer to wear eye protection when working with hair kickers. At least that's one less thing to worry about.
I wear glasses, but if I didn't, I'd need to wear eye protection working with NW terrestrials.

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
1. Brachypelma, Gramastola or Aphonopelma
2. Acanthoscurria or other semi- defensive tropical NW's
3. Psalmopoeus
4. Ceratogyrous
5. OBT
6. Avicularia
7. more OW's
8. Tapis
8. Pokies
After you deal with OBT's and Pokies you are at a fairly advanced level and can deal with pretty much any OW T in my opinion.