Deadly Toxins

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Just a heads up since this has come up in several forums. A plant family that should NEVER find it's way into a terrarium or vivarium. Members of the Nightshade Family, Solanaceae. This includes Datura or Jimson weed, eggplant, mandrake, deadly nightshade or belladonna, capsicum (paprika, chile pepper), potato, tobacco, tomato, and petunia.

While this family is a source of many foods, it isn't one you should experiment with around your precious critters. Take the time to check any and all plants that you bring your animals into contact with just to make sure that are not one of this families members.

Solanine is a very powerful toxin present in various parts of the plants, sometimes only under certain circumstances. As a typical example, it is the reason why potatoes must be stored in the dark. The fruit reacts with light and produces Solanine. When a potato is green, it's poisonous.

Solanine is dangerous to just about all animals but especially targets invertebrates and their larvae. The toxin is so powerful it has been known to kill birds and mammals that have eaten grubs that have been feeding on these plants.

If in doubt, ...........

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Good to know. I have a parrot so some of these I have heard off being toxic but it wasnt explained why thanks for clearing up. Potato and tomato really surprised me though.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Good to know. I have a parrot so some of these I have heard off being toxic but it wasnt explained why thanks for clearing up. Potato and tomato really surprised me though.
Every now and then cattle get loose into a tomato patch, often resulting in a dead cow or two.

Around here where we have farmers and free range cattle and fences are few and far between it is common courtesy to warn the cattle ranchers when you are growing potatoes. After harvesting it is also common courtesy to turn the soil over and spray Roundup on new plant shoots. Or they bundle the green potato plants after harvest and burn them or lay out rice straw over the plants and set it on fire.

Last edited:

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Beef and tomato sauce wow meat loaf. Sorry couldn't resist. I will defiantly keep these away from my pets thanks again