Avic enclosure suggestion

Whaagh

Arachnosquire
Hi Guys

I got a Avic. Avic sling about a week ago, and i kept it in the holder that i bought it in for a bit (with adding extra holes for ventilation and a fake plant for her to web on). During the last week she hasnt really webbed at all and she keeps sitting at the holes i made for ventilation. Last night i decided to make a completely different setup. I will post some pictures soon, I did fill the holder with about half substrate that is dry. And i do mist regularly as my room is very hot. Now she is just sitting at the top of the enclosure not really doing much and i have lost a avic avic in the past so i dont really want her to die

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Misting is probably your problem, they do not need it regularly. With them, it's always best to err on the side of a little too dry, than a little too moist. Post pics.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
- Way too much substrate, they don't burrow. An inch is plenty for a sling, 2 inches for adults.

- Substrate looks moist, is it? it should be dry.

- It should have a water bowl for humidity, not misting.

- I put air holes on the sides, more than you have. I don't put holes in the tops of sling cages, as it lets out too much humidity, and then you feel compelled to mist regularly, and that creates new problems.

- In most cases condensation is not good, and especially for Avics. It can kill them. Moist cages (that are fine for many tarantulas) are the biggest killer of Avics in the US. We have all kinds of climates here: temp zones 3 thru 11, desert to subtropical. I would think that what works in the US would work for you. I live in a humid state, and for me, that cage would be a death trap for Avic slings.

Whaagh

Arachnosquire
ok will lessen the substrate, i chose the most dry substrate that i have. I am going to be putting in a waterbowl later today (waiting for a bottle cap) thanks for the help

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I would deffinately add more holes to the side..I would double the amount you have triple it if you remove some substrate..which I would do personally. A water dish is a must for avics..

Whaagh

Arachnosquire
Ok so i dropped the substrate, added and put in a smallish water bowl here are some more pics:

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd put it in a taller container too, though that's a personal preference of mine.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I'd put it in a taller container too, though that's a personal preference of mine.
For me, the height is fine. I start off my Avic slings in 16 oz deli cups.

To the OP: are any of the airholes are so big that the spider can squeeze thru them?

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
How big is the sling? I agree, that might be a little short. And what's the water dish made of? It looks rather sharp around the edges. Avics will spend most of their time at the top of the enclosure, a fall onto something sharp will probably kill it. For a sling, a water dish should provide all the humidity they need. I only overflow my juvies dishes a little.

Whaagh

Arachnosquire
Water bowl is made out of plastic, i took a round tablet holder and cut a bit of it off. The sling is very small 1.5cm (0.59") The air holes arent big enough for it to squeeze through.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
I'd fix the edges, they look sharp. I actually don't even give my Ts a dish until they're about an inch and I use a bottle cap or medicine cup then. That's personal preference. At that size you could probably wet a small part of the sub or spray the web a tiny bit for drinking water. If you insist on keeping the dish you might consider putting a small pebble or two in it so the T can climb out if it's stuck. Here's a good thread on water dishes, read Stan's reply.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?226051-Water-Bowls-for-Slings/page2

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Some of those holes look pretty big lol!..that setup is much better! I would drop a pebble in the water dish tho.

cold blood

Staff member
I'd use a cap from a water bottle instead. That one you have is steep on the sides and if the water levels drop, the t won't be able to reach the water without falling in.

I give my t's a water dish at 1/2" provided the enclosure has room for it, and always with arboreals.

Good adjustments so far.

Whaagh

Arachnosquire
the water bowl is a temporary solution, i don't have any extra bottle caps to put in hers. Going to sort that out today

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
For me, the height is fine. I start off my Avic slings in 16 oz deli cups.

To the OP: are any of the airholes are so big that the spider can squeeze thru them?
Yep I know, I prefer taller. It's just preference as I mentioned, whatever works for each person. I use Thornton vials for Avic slings, then upgrade to AMAC cubes, then 32 oz deli cups, then larger AMAC cubes

Whaagh

Arachnosquire
So after all the changes the sling seems to be doing fine now, however i do see her hanging around the water bowl a lot (my room is very hot some days) but she climbs up and down the log i put in.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
So after all the changes the sling seems to be doing fine now, however i do see her hanging around the water bowl a lot (my room is very hot some days) but she climbs up and down the log i put in.
The air is cooler nearer the floor, can you move it's cage lower?

Whaagh

Arachnosquire
I can, i have also ordered myself a mist fan for my room and i have 2 fans running 24/7 to keep airflow in my room up