Best Asian Arboreal?

Ashton

Arachnoknight
I have been pondering this question a lot since I am looking into getting one or four, but am unsure which to get. Is there a species that would be less defensive or skittish or is it a jump on and expect the expected with them? Thanks for all input.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
I'd say it's more "expect the unexpected". Though there are norms, a Ts personality varies depending on the individual. I believe p metallica and p regalis are fairly docile, for pokies at least. My p fasciata is usually just flighty and nervous but she has been defensive. This has some info on a few Lampropelma and cyriopagopus species, although you'd have to find the temperament info elsewhere
https://sites.google.com/site/asianarboreals/cyriopagopussp."sumatrantiger"

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They're all pretty skittish and flighty, it just really varies by individual. I'd say P.regalis and metallica are a bit calmer than most others, but even they can be very skittish.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Asian arboreals are advanced species. They're big, fast, and except for Poecs, pretty secretive. Are you at that level yet?

Pokie Master

Arachnosquire
I feel I am ready to have one.
If you feel ready just make sure you have done multiple multiple research on what you are considering. Check region of where it comes from and adjust climate to that. Any old world has the "normal" temperament but even those few can exhibit "docile" characteristics. Always use caution and never let your guard down. That's usually when accidents happen. If you are always cautious and do your research you should be fine.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I feel I am ready to have one.
What tarantulas have you had so far, as adults? For how long? I just don't want to see you get in over your head, and it's happens to a number of people, who felt good about it up front, and as the spiders grew, they became afraid of them and sold them. That doesn't do anyone any good.

Last edited:

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
+1 I bought a p irminia a little prematurely. Ive said this in many threads, she ended up on the ceiling the first day I got her because I underestimated her speed, unpredictable nature, and I shoulda been in the bathroom when working with her. Nothing replaces research but trial and error is a dangerous game to play when dealing with OWs. You don't want your first T chase or first defensive rehouse to be OW. But if youve dealt with juvie and adult Ts like psalmos, taps, p cancerides, pamphs, ephebopus etc. then go for it.

Ashton

Arachnoknight
The things that have prepared me are: a really defensive pampho, a T. gigas, a P. irminia, a P. cambridgei and an E. murinus I had and always held. I would also like to attribute being a catcher in baseball to help with reflexes of very fast things

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
What tarantulas have you had so far, as adults? For how long? I just don't want to see you get in over your head, and it's happens to a number of people, who felt good about it up font, and as the spiders grew, they became afraid of them and sold them. That doesn't do anyone any good.
+1 I wasnt ready for my 1st obt And I kept Ts for 5-6 yrs. P miranda I suggest for any pokie noob, but do not expect a docile T. OBT is more advanced I think than Pokie, except Ornata. A few of my regalis, escaped in my room and P ornata be prepared for a smart T and lightning fast(I re-caught them).

---------- Post added 12-20-2014 at 08:42 PM ----------

The things that have prepared me are: a really defensive pampho, a T. gigas, a P. irminia, a P. cambridgei and an E. murinus I had and always held. I would also like to attribute being a catcher in baseball to help with reflexes of very fast things
Got OBT?? my Ornata is just as crazy sometimes but she runs mostly laps so much. Threat postures I often get for no reason.

I suggest P regalis/striata if you got plenty of expereince.

---------- Post added 12-20-2014 at 08:44 PM ----------

I have been pondering this question a lot since I am looking into getting one or four, but am unsure which to get. Is there a species that would be less defensive or skittish or is it a jump on and expect the expected with them? Thanks for all input.
Pokies are my favorite, but bite is of most potency. You live in a good state you should have plenty of woods to explore if you get bit. Sometimes a docile acting T is most dangerous,. unpredictable FYI. Predictable angry spiders, are easier to read.

Last edited:

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
I've handled my e murinus before but I stopped that. She's just so mean sometimes I wonder if she's possessed. She finally made a decent burrow so maybe she'll calm down. I wish being a catcher in softball helped with my T catching reflexes. Go for a pokie. Regalis is a good first. Although l nigerrimum looks awesome.

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I feel OP is ready for pokies at least.

I think sometimes people try to scare people away from them on purpose. As long as you use common sense and keep your wits about you (how many "I was drunk and held a pokie" threads have we seen?) you will be fine. They are a very rewarding genus to keep.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron

I think sometimes people try to scare people away from them on purpose. As long as you use common sense and keep your wits about you (how many "I was drunk and held a pokie" threads have we seen?) you will be fine. They are a very rewarding genus to keep.
I feel like a lot of it is the venom and the fact that many of them get pretty big. They aren't that bad. My girl usually stays put when I'm in her enclosure. I really need more of these guys.

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I feel like a lot of it is the venom and the fact that many of them get pretty big. They aren't that bad. My girl usually stays put when I'm in her enclosure. I really need more of these guys.
But if you don't ever put yourself in a position to get bit then the question of the venom potency will never matter to you! :p

Yes they usually try to hide during cage maintenance.. except for a certain P vittata sling I have, he runs around his enclosure like crazy so I usually opt to just not open it. Haha

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
But if you don't ever put yourself in a position to get bit then the question of the venom potency will never matter to you! :p

Yes they usually try to hide during cage maintenance.. except for a certain P vittata sling I have, he runs around his enclosure like crazy so I usually opt to just not open it. Haha
Well yeah but people read bite reports and the information about how bad it is gets around and then the poor pokies become monsters. My pokie was my first OW. My GBB runs around like a nut. She's bald but still kicks nonstop until youre gone or until she's figured out its her food she's kicking at. My e murinus darts out almost every time I do maintenance.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor

I think sometimes people try to scare people away from them on purpose.

Read some bite reports. Yes, we do try to 'scare' some people away from them. People should fully understand the downsides before getting one, not after it escapes or they get bitten.

---------- Post added 12-21-2014 at 12:26 AM ----------

But if you don't ever put yourself in a position to get bit then the question of the venom potency will never matter to you!
In a perfect world, but there's a lot more OW bites than I thought there would be, especially from Poecs, which aren't overly defensive spiders. So a number of people are making avoidable mistakes and getting nailed. I really don't want the OP writing up a bite report.

---------- Post added 12-21-2014 at 12:30 AM ----------

Well yeah but people read bite reports and the information about how bad it is gets around and then the poor pokies become monsters.
They're not monsters at all, but like all tarantulas, they're unpredictable wild animals. They do have a limit for how much carelessness and poor judgment they'll put up with from humans. Apparently a number of people are oblivious to that and have to learn the hard way.

Last edited:

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
Read some bite reports. Yes, we do try to 'scare' some people away from them. People should fully understand the downsides before getting one, not after it escapes or they get bitten.
I agree. Its so important to know that their venom packs a serious punch but sometimes I think people overdo it and pokies are made out to be these fire breathing monsters that will come to eat you in the night and then teleport away. Im sure you know better than I do but since I came into the hobby there just seemed to be more commotion surrounding them when there are other species that have bites just as significant.

awiec

Arachnoprince
As with anything you will get varying degrees of personality. I have 6 OW aboreals in my care, 5 being pokies and the other a Orphnaecus. I would say out of all of them, the O. sp Blue is actually the most relaxed as it prefers to stay in its hide but will come out for a stroll at least once a day/night. The P.vitatta and P.regalis are generally pretty laid back as well as I don't get much trouble from them during maintenance (the regalis still attempted an escape). On the other hand the P.metallica and P.miranda just have straight up foul tempers, the former gives threat poses like it's going out of style and is always try to get out; the latter has done the same but not to an extant as the metallica. Lastly there is the P.rufilata which doesn't not seem very flighty or defensive but I haven't had it long enough to get a good read on it. At the end of the day though each and every one of my spiders have the capacity and ability to decide that I'm a threat and attempt to bite me, this is always at the back of my head no matter how "calm" the spider is. I would suggest a P.regalis as a first pokie as they are cheap and for the most part more "relaxed", but others in the genus might be suitable too.