Pamphobeteus rehouse

Sana

Arachnoprince
I'm doing my first rehouse of an intermediate species and it's giving me a little trouble. I've got the work on a cool morning part, rehousing inside a larger tub to minimize escape routes is also complete, catch cup in hand, and my favorite long tongs for nudging in the direction I'm looking for. However, when I attempt to guide my pampho into the cup for the move, it turns around in the blink of an eye, rears at the tongs, and holds it's ground. Hmm... Now what?

As I wasn't making any progress, I've closed up my pampho's habitat and left it alone. I would like to complete the move sometime soon so that s/he has ample time to arrange the new digs before the next molt. On the other hand, I would rather not have disaster strike for my lack of experience. I would think that with a large number of considerably more aggressive species out there I'm not the first to encounter a T with this attitude. Suggestions anyone?

skippydude

Arachnobaron
Place a cup over the T, then slide a piece of cardboard underneath it. May get a little pissy about it, but won't be able to argue much with this method.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I'll use either a prod, or the cup lid, to nudge a spider in a transfer cup. If you use the lid, by the time it urns around the lid is on. Try it again tomorrow morning; mine are definitely a little sluggish in the mornings now. You were right to stop when you did; it only gets worse when they're worked up.

Sana

Arachnoprince
Thanks for the great suggestions guys! I'll have to give it a try next time, as when my S.O. heard me grumbling about pampho issues he went and did it for me. Guess I'll learn next rehouse.

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree with Poec, it's best to stop at a certain point before they just get too pissed off and it becomes bad for everyone involved. I have tried several methods with different sizes of catch cups, but the one that has worked out best is a larger tuppereware container that you would use for a salad or something (like 9x9x9) so that you minimize the amount of space that you need to trap the spider in.

Best of luck next time!!

awiec

Arachnoprince
The lid and cup method works very well as you can guide and close the spider into the container when needed. I opted for using a paintbrush and 32oz container and scooted the T inside, yes the T did try to steal my paint brush multiple times but it tired out after a few minutes and went into the cup. Of course if it would have gone longer I would have left the spider alone and tried later as I did not want to stress it more than I needed. Also try plumping it up really good as they are *less* inclined to think of you as food or wait until they are in early pre-molt, the spider is more sluggish and easier to manipulate in most cases. Good luck with your next try, eventually you will get it into that new cage.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ah I guess u did manage to get some advice on this feisty guy!! Did UR next rehouse attempt go well? Or have u tried?

--J.Haas

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
I usually rehouse after they have fed, rested and digested. There are several methods I use depending what mood they're in. I start with a paint brush and catch cup or the lid and place it directly in the new enclosure. If that doesn't work I put the cup on top of the spider and scoot the lid under. For my defensive arboreals, I have 2 catch cups handy and manipulate them to go on their own (while making sure they don't fall) using a paint brush. This usually works fairly well if they aren't crabby. I have used the lid of the enclosure as sort of an elevator, for lack of a better word, for one terrestrial rehouse so that way they don't get injured from a fall and they feel in control walking into the new enclosure on their own. There's always something in front and back of them in case they dart or something else. Catch cup method is usually the preferred method, just thought I'd share something different.

Sana

Arachnoprince
The one frustration that I've discovered with this pampho is that the darn thing is always hungry. It will eat three or four medium crickets daily for a month right up until it molts. The only time that it isn't trying to eat everything in sight is for a week post molt and I don't want to try a rehouse that soon after a molt if I can help it. It is absolutely adorable to watch it doing a flying tackle the instant a cricket land in it's enclosure. On the other hand, it's a little nerve wracking to think about it doing the same maneuver full grown. S/he is officially settling in her new house and thrilled with the addition of a flower with large petals to hide under. It has a small starter burrow under a piece of driftwood as well, but as with the last enclosure, does not seem inclined to use/expand the burrow. Strange little sling.

cold blood

Staff member
The one frustration that I've discovered with this pampho is that the darn thing is always hungry. It will eat three or four medium crickets daily for a month right up until it molts. The only time that it isn't trying to eat everything in sight is for a week post molt and I don't want to try a rehouse that soon after a molt if I can help it. It is absolutely adorable to watch it doing a flying tackle the instant a cricket land in it's enclosure. On the other hand, it's a little nerve wracking to think about it doing the same maneuver full grown. S/he is officially settling in her new house and thrilled with the addition of a flower with large petals to hide under. It has a small starter burrow under a piece of driftwood as well, but as with the last enclosure, does not seem inclined to use/expand the burrow. Strange little sling.
They are a hungry genus! I personally do re-housing when in pre-molt.

Mine never burrowed or used a hide until it was 3", then it finally made one heck of a burrow. Most of the time its still out sitting in the open.

Sana

Arachnoprince
They are a hungry genus! I personally do re-housing when in pre-molt.

Mine never burrowed or used a hide until it was 3", then it finally made one heck of a burrow. Most of the time its still out sitting in the open.
I know that most slings burrow, but apparently not these guys huh? I figured I would make sure that the opportunity was available and offered a nice deep substrate (bringing the ground level of the enclosure to about one and a half time the T's leg length from the top) and added the plant after observing in the original enclosure that it wasn't burrowing. So far s/he seems to be feeling pretty comfortable with the new environment, and is as always eating like it's going out of style.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I know that most slings burrow, but apparently not these guys huh? I figured I would make sure that the opportunity was available and offered a nice deep substrate (bringing the ground level of the enclosure to about one and a half time the T's leg length from the top) and added the plant after observing in the original enclosure that it wasn't burrowing. So far s/he seems to be feeling pretty comfortable with the new environment, and is as always eating like it's going out of style.
Mine burrowed a little when it was very small, it is content with its log hide and only retreats there for a few hours a day, generally it just hangs out. I only have deep sub for mine for fall protection and to hold humidity, these are bold spiders, they don't hide too often.