P. metallica leg injuries

Fishcrunch

Arachnosquire
So I recently came into possession of a P. metallica sling for only $49, due to it missing a limb and a few tarsals. I'm not really worried about the limbs regenerating, and he/she's eating, which is good. I'm just curious if this physical condition may have some long-term effects on the spiders health, since I'd imagine that it's no small feat to regenerate all those body parts!

Methal

Arachnosquire
2 years from now that lil' bugger will look just the same as a 200.00 p Metallica.

Fishcrunch

Arachnosquire
I guess what I was wondering if there are any known, negative physiological effects for spiders that have grown through similar conditions? I'm sure it will grow to appear like any other spider of its species.

Methal

Arachnosquire
0.o No. Only vertebrates of higher intelligence will retain such info.

I'd go into it more but the wife is yelling to go to a stupid birthday party for a 2 year old. -_-

Fishcrunch

Arachnosquire
0.o No. Only vertebrates of higher intelligence will retain such info.

I'd go into it more but the wife is yelling to go to a stupid birthday party for a 2 year old. -_-
I'm talking physiological, not psychological.

cold blood

Staff member
Missing legs are about the least worry you could have with a t. In just months it will not even be noticeable and it will NOT have ANY long term effect on the spider. Nice pick up! Does the guy have any more with missing limbs he's like to sell on the cheap?

Fishcrunch

Arachnosquire
Actually, yes! He has one more P. metallica that's in a similar condition for the same price!

Fishcrunch

Arachnosquire
At the rate things are going, I'm gonna need to start a cricket/roach farm to feed all these guys, and I certainly don't have the room for that!:sarcasm: If anyone else wants to head on over to zookeeper for a cheap P. metallica, best do so soon!

Methal

Arachnosquire
I'm talking physiological, not psychological.
Yes it missing body parts, but then you said "...have grown through similar conditions?" which answered your own question.

My answer is still no, its not going to remember it was missing a body part, It wont have any lasting effects....are you thinking its going to be limping around like tiny tim after it grows a new leg?
clarify please.
There will be zero side effects after its grown its missing parts back. Until then yes, its function is handicapped. If it were in the wild its chances would be greatly diminished. Its like a car with a flat tire. fix the flat tire, and the car will go back to functioning exactly the same as it did pre-flat.

Fishcrunch

Arachnosquire
What I was thinking was that since the spider has to allocate more resources in its next molt towards replicating lost limbs, then perhaps that sudden need for energy may lead to defects in one of its many functions. So yeah, maybe a bit like Tiny-Tim, if it was a neurological disorder, causing the specimen to have less control over its movement than before it lost its limbs. The comment about spiders going through similar conditions was to see if anyone on here with more experience than me has a spider that has gone through something similar to what this little guy has and perhaps has had a noticeable change in behavior/etc.