Aphonopelma

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Chat about any aphonopelmas you would like to see more of in the hobby.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd like to see more CB A. moderatum. Hopefully I'll even contribute to the effort in a few years when mine matures. Also that Aphono with markings like a GBB (I'm drawing a blank on the name somebody please help me out).

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Chat about any aphonopelmas you would like to see more of in the hobby.
I'd like to see more dwarf Aphonopelmas become available for sale, whatever the scientific community chooses to call them. Hint hint Brent H!

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
aphonopelma bicoloratum I would be happy to see a few of these on my shelves.these are on my list.

TarantulaGuy84

Arachnopeon
I would definitely love to see moderatums. That's a species on my to get list/wish list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TarantulaGuy84

Arachnopeon
go to the valley you are bound to find something in the rural areas.
That was actually something I thought about doing for next year. Was thinking of hitting up different places all over the place just to see what I can find.

cold blood

Staff member
As said, moderatum and bicoloratum...especially the latter though. On my list, too tonypace;)

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
That was actually something I thought about doing for next year. Was thinking of hitting up different places all over the place just to see what I can find.

just try to keep clear of alamo and parts of pharr. Hwy 77, 281 and expressway 83 seem like places tarantulas would inhabit.

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have had several species of Aphonopelma and they are still my least favorite species. Boring behavior and patterns/colors. If there was a new Aphonopelma that was more interesting I'd totally go for it.

I would like to fall in love with a US native species for sure.

Feriat

Arachnopeon
A. moorei I thinks called. The blue one. Micro dots for $200 ish is a bit much. Those need to be bred way more.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
As said, moderatum and bicoloratum
Those, along with moorei. There's some pretty US Aphonopelma, especially the blonde species. Behlei is very nice, as is Flagstaff Orange. There's one known as 'sp. Panama' that looks interesting, no wild colors but an unusual build.

In the mid 1970's a local Michigan reptile dealer got in a single Mexican Aphonopelma, big-bodied and robust, all blonde, gentle as a G pulchra. It was called a 'Sinaloan Rock Tarantula.' I've yet to see a picture of it anywhere. That was a great spider and would be ideal for beginners.

---------- Post added 12-21-2014 at 12:53 AM ----------

I have had several species of Aphonopelma and they are still my least favorite species. Boring behavior and patterns/colors. If there was a new Aphonopelma that was more interesting I'd totally go for it.
True, they don't have the sex appeal of many of the tropical species, but there are definitely some attractive ones. For me, a selling point is that these big spiders are native to the US. That's pretty cool. If there were no tarantulas in the rest of the world, we'd be falling over ourselves to get Aphonopelma. I'm envious of people in the SW who have these native.

I've got some AF chalcodes(?) and they truly are beautiful spiders with the mix of colors.

Last edited:

MadMauC

Arachnopeon
I had a delivery of A sp Cana Blue - 1st instars 2 months ago - a new blue Aphonopelma from Mexico
My A Moderatum slings are "difficult" to care for compared to other species.
Bicoloratum & Mooreae are on my watch list.

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I believe the reason there are not as many of these species in the hobby is there ridiculously slow growth rate. I know temperature and power feeding is the key to there growth rate and have read post that have had decent growth rate out of these species.I am still working on my technique still waiting to see results.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I believe the reason there are not as many of these species in the hobby is there ridiculously slow growth rate. I know temperature and power feeding is the key to there growth rate and have read post that have had decent growth rate out of these species.I am still working on my technique still waiting to see results.
Warmth and food will speed up growth, but with some species there won't be a huge difference. Species from dry areas can't afford to grow too fast during times of unusually plentiful food and water, as it won't last, and a freshly-molted spider without food and water for months is in trouble. They have to grow more gradually so they don't outpace their resources. Spiders from regions with more evenly-distributed rain (and therefore food) can take full advantage of surpluses.

That being said, if you want a slow-growing species to grow even slower, keep it cool and feed it less often.

Experiment397

Arachnopeon
I've had chalcodes and hentzi and the personality were worlds apart my chalcodes was sweet, my hentzi a hair kicking monster. Id love to see more of one I saw called sp. "Joshua tree black" looks like an interesting dwarf with a black abdomen and chocolate body/legs. The blue fangs are another on my list A. burica. Personally I love this genus- especially considering I can find multiple species of it within a few hours of my house naturally. I also love how easy it is to re-create their natural habitat. Just go camping and create exactly what you see! Can't do that with a Blondi or Pokie!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Warmth and food will speed up growth, but with some species there won't be a huge difference. Species from dry areas can't afford to grow too fast during times of unusually plentiful food and water, as it won't last, and a freshly-molted spider without food and water for months is in trouble. They have to grow more gradually so they don't outpace their resources. Spiders from regions with more evenly-distributed rain (and therefore food) can take full advantage of surpluses.

That being said, if you want a slow-growing species to grow even slower, keep it cool and feed it less often.
+1 I had a A anax 2" female grow to 5" full grown in 2-3yrs. Ofc I am not sure how long it took 1/4-2" she was not in my care. Could have took 8 yrs for all I know, Cb from swifts I think.

She was a unusually hungry spider though , oddly fast for the genus.

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
+1 I had a A anax 2" female grow to 5" full grown in 2-3yrs. Ofc I am not sure how long it took 1/4-2" she was not in my care. Could have took 8 yrs for all I know, Cb from swifts I think.

She was a unusually hungry spider though , oddly fast for the genus.
1/4 I think mine took months before they even reached 1/4 DLS. LOL When they molt they don't seem to grow I gave up trying to keep up with there molts because I accidently mixed some of my already molted ones and couldn't see a size difference.
+1 POEC54 that makes perfect sense.