Day/Night schedules?

Azarath

Arachnopeon
I couldn't find anything like this in the forum, so I figured I'd post a thread. If there is a thread where my question is answered, please send the link, and I'll gladly move on.

Anyway, my question is this: Is it a good idea to give any tarantulas a day and night schedule? I'm 100% new to keeping Ts and I've only had this one for about a week and a half. But it's been in my closet where it's dark because I know they don't need light. However, I wouldn't think it should be dark 24/7, right? I mean, in the wild they're exposed to daylight unless they retreat in their hide, of course.

Opinions? Right now, it has a night time heat lamp that doesn't give off any light (not enough to make any difference, anyway, just a very, very dull purple glow) that I shut on and off according to the temperature it says in the tank (I'll be upgrading to a heating pad soon that will be set on a temperature controlling device), but I was curious as to if they needed some 'sunlight'. I have a full spectrum bulb that currently isn't being used, and I wouldn't put it directly on the tank, but rather set it up on the other side of my room and just open my closet door during the day so it can get some daylight. Is this necessary or am I just worrying about nonsense?

If it matters, my T is a juvenile pink toe. Can't tell the sex, being as it's too young. And I only have the heating lamp on it when needed because I tend to keep my room quite cold.

cold blood

Staff member
I couldn't find anything like this in the forum, so I figured I'd post a thread. If there is a thread where my question is answered, please send the link, and I'll gladly move on.

Anyway, my question is this: Is it a good idea to give any tarantulas a day and night schedule? I'm 100% new to keeping Ts and I've only had this one for about a week and a half. But it's been in my closet where it's dark because I know they don't need light. However, I wouldn't think it should be dark 24/7, right? I mean, in the wild they're exposed to daylight unless they retreat in their hide, of course.

Opinions? Right now, it has a night time heat lamp that doesn't give off any light (not enough to make any difference, anyway, just a very, very dull purple glow) that I shut on and off according to the temperature it says in the tank (I'll be upgrading to a heating pad soon that will be set on a temperature controlling device), but I was curious as to if they needed some 'sunlight'. I have a full spectrum bulb that currently isn't being used, and I wouldn't put it directly on the tank, but rather set it up on the other side of my room and just open my closet door during the day so it can get some daylight. Is this necessary or am I just worrying about nonsense?

If it matters, my T is a juvenile pink toe. Can't tell the sex, being as it's too young. And I only have the heating lamp on it when needed because I tend to keep my room quite cold.
The t has no light requirements. A light above it would be too much. Ambient light from the room or a distant window are just fine and will never cause an issue, other than the t hiding a little more. No reason to worry about light, whatever your preference is will be fine as long as it isn't in the window or having a big light blaring above it. If you want, you could just use a red light above it. This won't bother the t as they fail to see red light. Or do what I do, carry a small flashlight for viewing.

Heat lamps are dangerous and heat pads are also not a good way to warm your t. Good ways for reptiles, not spiders.

At what temp is the room they are kept in? Few t's really require added heat. I only heat slings under 1.5" and I live in a cold climate and my heat's not free either...lol.

Azarath

Arachnopeon
Well, it's in my bedroom and I keep my room cold. However, I try to never let it drop below 68 degrees and the peak is usually 72 degrees. It all depends on whether I'm playing on a video game console or not. I would keep my pink toe in a different room, but my roommate constantly threatens (jokingly, but I wouldn't put it passed him) to shoot it if it ever got out. That, and the only other room to keep it in would be the guest room. I'm sure his guests would be none too happy to know there's a tarantula hiding in the closet.

Is anywhere between 68 and 72 okay for it? Sometimes it does get colder. Once I get used to keeping this one, I do plan on getting more. So for the future, if I have a tarantula that needs extra heat, what is a good heating source?

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I don't like temps that low..many will tell you its fine and it probably is but I dont keep any ts except my north american terrestrials lower than 78.. Get a cheap electric space heater with a fan and thermostat.. You can find them pretty cheap at Walmart.

cold blood

Staff member
Well, it's in my bedroom and I keep my room cold. However, I try to never let it drop below 68 degrees and the peak is usually 72 degrees. It all depends on whether I'm playing on a video game console or not. I would keep my pink toe in a different room, but my roommate constantly threatens (jokingly, but I wouldn't put it passed him) to shoot it if it ever got out. That, and the only other room to keep it in would be the guest room. I'm sure his guests would be none too happy to know there's a tarantula hiding in the closet.

Is anywhere between 68 and 72 okay for it? Sometimes it does get colder. Once I get used to keeping this one, I do plan on getting more. So for the future, if I have a tarantula that needs extra heat, what is a good heating source?
That's pretty much exactly what my room is kept at during the winter (I used to let it drop to 64-66 at night). You shouldn't have an issue unless its a sling.

If shooting a loose t is your roommate's solution, god help you...cause that's not exactly the brightest solution.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
That's pretty much exactly what my room is kept at during the winter (I used to let it drop to 64-66 at night). You shouldn't have an issue unless its a sling.

If shooting a loose t is your roommate's solution, god help you...cause that's not exactly the brightest solution.
He better be a great shot or have a shot gun with bird shot! Sounds like he's to scared to get close enough to shoot it point blank!lol!

Sana

Arachnoprince
My sub adult avic took up burrowing when her enclosure was below 72 F. I was worried that such behavior from an arboreal was a sign of a problem, so I raised the temperature for her. She returned to the top of her enclosure where I was used to seeing her when it was closer to the temperature range from this summer. I've taken that as an indication of her temperature preference, even though I've heard a lot of people say they have no trouble with temperatures in the high 60s.

Azarath

Arachnopeon
I don't like temps that low..many will tell you its fine and it probably is but I dont keep any ts except my north american terrestrials lower than 78.. Get a cheap electric space heater with a fan and thermostat.. You can find them pretty cheap at Walmart.
I do have a little fan that emits heat. Same thing, right? I could just set that little thing up in my closet and let it do its thing? But then I'd worry about it getting too hot. What do you think is a good temperature to keep it at?

It's not a sling, but it is a juvenile. Don't remember if I already mentioned that. And yeah, my roommate isn't exactly the brightest. He's kind of in the class of 'redneck'. He goes shooting and loves his signature redneck camouflage get-up, including romeo shoes and camouflage Carhartt jackets and pants. It's pretty scary, actually. I always tell him that shooting it would be ridiculously dramatic and overkill.

---------- Post added 12-20-2014 at 09:51 PM ----------

My sub adult avic took up burrowing when her enclosure was below 72 F. I was worried that such behavior from an arboreal was a sign of a problem, so I raised the temperature for her. She returned to the top of her enclosure where I was used to seeing her when it was closer to the temperature range from this summer. I've taken that as an indication of her temperature preference, even though I've heard a lot of people say they have no trouble with temperatures in the high 60s.
Mine hasn't burrowed or anything. In fact, it's still settling from when I first got it home. But I have the wrong tank for it anyway, thanks to the lady not telling me whether it was an arboreal or terrestrial tarantula. I'm going to order an arboreal enclosure on Monday, though. I was just too excited to take it home that I forgot to ask. But I haven't seen anything strange so far. Of course, I don't exactly know what to look for. It seems to finally be exploring though, so I thought that was a good sign, even if the enclosure is too big for it. I feel terrible, really. A juvenile in a giant 10 gallon tank. It's no wonder it's stressed out, still. Whoops, got off topic... Anyway, it seemed to be okay when the temperature hit 82, once. I panicked though, and thought that was far too warm. But it chose to sit on the glass next to the lamp, so I don't know. I know heating lamps are dangerous and I hate using it. That's why I'm happy to adopt an alternative. I do always feel the glass to make sure the glass isn't hot and it never gets warmer than lukewarm.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor

Oh come on, how can you say that? What's the big deal about a few holes in the walls and ceiling? Just don't hit the TV.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
If the op doesn't mind I would like to hijack the post for a sec sort of cuz some knowledgeable keepers are visiting..I want to add night lighting to my t room..I don't like the red infared bulbs or red lights in general..I want to use moon light blue LEDs for reef tanks.

Will it disrupt there night cycle and potentially disturb their natural behavior? I'm a night person and it kills me that I can't view all the amazeing ts that I have during there peak hours of activity..Thanks for your thoughts..I should have mentioned that if the consensus is that these light pose no detrimental side effects that I will incorporate it into there daily cycle..they will come on when the sun sets and go off when the sun rises..that way it won't suddenly and randomly get brighter in the room when I feel like taking a peek.

Last edited:

Azarath

Arachnopeon
If the op doesn't mind I would like to hijack the post for a sec sort of cuz some knowledgeable keepers are visiting..I want to add night lighting to my t room..I don't like the red infared bulbs or red lights in general..I want to use moon light blue LEDs for reef tanks.

Will it disrupt there night cycle and potentially disturb their natural behavior? I'm a night person and it kills me that I can't view all the amazeing ts that I have during there peak hours of activity..Thanks for your thoughts
See, I always wondered how one could just sit and watch their Ts because they like to hide from light. But we can't see them without it, so how am I to just sit and watch my tarantula? I find it relaxing to just watch it crawl around. Something in the way that they move is beautiful. So delicate and graceful.

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know people will attack me for saying this but...

I like to use a heat lamp. I use a red bulb that is only 50 watts (these bulbs tell you what temperature it is at what distance) and about 6 inches away it is about 75 degrees F. In the daytime I clip the lamp onto a box that I keep all my slings in and they get rotated frequently and have a good exposure to some warmth. I keep humidity levels perfect for each sling this way so I know which ones need moisture and which don't. In the nighttime I put the lamp over my P metallica and she obviously likes the warmth because she will come out and bask in it.

This solution is perfect for MY tarantulas and if you have some other setup I would caution you before following suit. If I had more or even less Ts I would not use this option. It is quite cost effective for me because we like to keep the heat turned down most of the time.

Bear in mind I do not use thermometers or hygrometers because they are a waste of time.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I do have a little fan that emits heat. Same thing, right? I could just set that little thing up in my closet and let it do its thing? But then I'd worry about it getting too hot. What do you think is a good temperature to keep it at?

It's not a sling, but it is a juvenile. Don't remember if I already mentioned that. And yeah, my roommate isn't exactly the brightest. He's kind of in the class of 'redneck'. He goes shooting and loves his signature redneck camouflage get-up, including romeo shoes and camouflage Carhartt jackets and pants. It's pretty scary, actually. I always tell him that shooting it would be ridiculously dramatic and overkill.

---------- Post added 12-20-2014 at 09:51 PM ----------

Mine hasn't burrowed or anything. In fact, it's still settling from when I first got it home. But I have the wrong tank for it anyway, thanks to the lady not telling me whether it was an arboreal or terrestrial tarantula. I'm going to order an arboreal enclosure on Monday, though. I was just too excited to take it home that I forgot to ask. But I haven't seen anything strange so far. Of course, I don't exactly know what to look for. It seems to finally be exploring though, so I thought that was a good sign, even if the enclosure is too big for it. I feel terrible, really. A juvenile in a giant 10 gallon tank. It's no wonder it's stressed out, still. Whoops, got off topic... Anyway, it seemed to be okay when the temperature hit 82, once. I panicked though, and thought that was far too warm. But it chose to sit on the glass next to the lamp, so I don't know. I know heating lamps are dangerous and I hate using it. That's why I'm happy to adopt an alternative. I do always feel the glass to make sure the glass isn't hot and it never gets warmer than lukewarm.
My girl seems to be completely content at any temperature between 72 and 90 (summer high in her enclosure).

14pokies

Arachnoprince
You could buy a cheap digital thermometer and put in the closet and move the heater closer or away..just make sure you monitor it during the day and at night and plan for ambient temp fluctuations(your roommate turning the heat up or down,the outside temp changing etc etc..) Just remember tarantulas can tolerate the colder side of their temp range longer than the hotter side..so be carefull how you add heat!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
- But I have the wrong tank for it anyway, thanks to the lady not telling me whether it was an arboreal or terrestrial tarantula.

- it seemed to be okay when the temperature hit 82, once. I panicked though, and thought that was far too warm.

- I know heating lamps are dangerous.
- It's up to you to know what kind of tarantula you're getting and what it's cage requirements are. Research that before you buy.

- Most of my spiders aren't under a/c and are 90 days/80 nights for 6 months of the year.

- Yes, heat lamps are dangerous.

cold blood

Staff member
I know people will attack me for saying this but...

I like to use a heat lamp. I use a red bulb that is only 50 watts (these bulbs tell you what temperature it is at what distance) and about 6 inches away it is about 75 degrees F. In the daytime I clip the lamp onto a box that I keep all my slings in and they get rotated frequently and have a good exposure to some warmth. I keep humidity levels perfect for each sling this way so I know which ones need moisture and which don't. In the nighttime I put the lamp over my P metallica and she obviously likes the warmth because she will come out and bask in it.

This solution is perfect for MY tarantulas and if you have some other setup I would caution you before following suit. If I had more or even less Ts I would not use this option. It is quite cost effective for me because we like to keep the heat turned down most of the time.

Bear in mind I do not use thermometers or hygrometers because they are a waste of time.
Its not the heat that is the danger with the lamp (like it is with the mat), lamps really dry the air out, and when its cold outside in winter, the air is already at its driest point of the year.

The problem with mats is that t's are drawn to heat light moths to light and will burrow right on top of them or hang on the side its mounted on. You just can't keep a t sufficiently away from the mat unless you heat a large enclosure with it, and then place the enclosure with the t inside that.

---------- Post added 12-21-2014 at 09:31 AM ----------

azrath, a small space heater is a good way to heat your t's.

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
Bear in mind I do not use thermometers or hygrometers because they are a waste of time.[/QUOTE]
You must not be interested in breeding your T's.Where you live,you would probably be horrified if you did put a hygrometer in your hot box in the winter.I'm willing to bet it's about 30% humidity,same as a desert.Water dishes/flooding brings it up MAYBE 10% if you're lucky.So you're keeping your tropical spiders in basically a desert.

Last edited:

truecreature

Arachnoknight
On the day/night thing, I was recently brushing up on my T knowledge after starting to collect them again. It was generally recommended to give them some sort of indication it was day or night. However I don't think there's been any actual research behind it to back it up. I like to err on the side of doing what's best, so I keep a dim ceiling light on during the day and off at night. If there are sockets in your closet you could try hooking up a night light

cold blood

Staff member
Hygrometers are notoriously inaccurate, especially in smaller enclosures. They have no place in a t enclosure and IMO are a complete waste of money. In fact we have seen over and over again that a hygrometer actually causes more problems than it will ever solve as people add water until the doohickey reads some magic number the new keeper is attempting to achieve....by the time the thing reads the "proper" number, the enclosure is over-loaded with moisture and you've put your t in a danger zone instead of the comfort zone the keeper is aiming for.