OBT keeps burrowing, and unable to see it

Pokezilla1231

Arachnosquire
Hello everyone! I hope everyone is having a great winter but my OBT is being a pain lol. She makes a burrow and then covers it up, I want to be able to view her. Could I make a custom burrow with a tunnel leading to a big chamber and if so do you guys have any suggestions or could I manipulate the enclosure to make it so that when she burrows she can be easily viewed. I am getting a 10 gallon tank for her next week (This is when I will be doing all of this) and I want to know if you guys have any suggestions. Thank you!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
They often love burrowing, Get A genic if you want a display T. Would you rather have an arboreal OBT that wants to bite you? Some keepers give them less substrate but they web:mask:.

Pokezilla1231

Arachnosquire
So basically there is no way to be unable to view her and no I would rather the OBT not bite me, and how low would the substrate have to be so she could web and what should I use as supports for the web? Leaves, cork bark, anything like that?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
So basically there is no way to be unable to view her and no I would rather the OBT not bite me
+1 got any display Ts?? You could house her with less substrate but a 10gallon is too tall. All my OBT are visible, but web a lot. None are in 10gallons., but they are 4.5-5" not full grown.

Pokezilla1231

Arachnosquire
Ok, what size tank should I use? And I want an idea on what the enclosure should look like so she can web alot.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Ok, what size tank should I use? And I want an idea on what the enclosure should look like so she can web alot.
DO you have a GBB? House it like one of those. Give it plenty of climbing space also maybe bark or something , but not like tall cage aboreal style. It might still hide in a tube-web but worth a try some of mine aren't webbing they always in open.

cold blood

Staff member
A 10 gal will only give it more room to burrow, but you could put a large rock or piece of wood in the middle before you fill it with substrate. This would force the t to burrow closer to the sides, where you will have a good chance of seeing it.

IMO a fast, defensive t with a burrow is an advantage for you as they tend to dive into it before anything else, I like to see them create a burrow.

I have a pair that, so far (hasn't been long), are out, or at least their feet are, more than I expected, but I notice that every time they go back in, they cover the burrow...one with sub and web, the other with just webbing. I see them on their terms, which makes seeing them more special. Doesn't bother me, if they got a burrow they are constantly in, it means they are happy with their home. Like said, not the best t for a display t.

I would not advise to reduce the sub. You don't want a fast, nervous t to have no secure place to hide.

Pokezilla1231

Arachnosquire
No, I do not have a GBB, and ok

---------- Post added 12-20-2014 at 09:09 PM ----------

A 10 gal will only give it more room to burrow, but you could put a large rock or piece of wood in the middle before you fill it with substrate. This would force the t to burrow closer to the sides, where you will have a good chance of seeing it.

IMO a fast, defensive t with a burrow is an advantage for you as they tend to dive into it before anything else, I like to see them create a burrow.

I have a pair that, so far (hasn't been long), are out, or at least their feet are, more than I expected, but I notice that every time they go back in, they cover the burrow...one with sub and web, the other with just webbing. I see them on their terms, which makes seeing them more special. Doesn't bother me, if they got a burrow they are constantly in, it means they are happy with their home. Like said, not the best t for a display t.
Ok, so a hiding T is a happy T. Got it lol

14pokies

Arachnoprince
You could get a small exo terra..there pretty nice cube shape tanks with front opening doors..it will give your obt only one way to go tho if it decides to bolt..so wear your running shoes when you work on it.lol.

Pokezilla1231

Arachnosquire
I have a exo terra for some of my arboreals and I like how it gives them climbing space BUT it gets annoying when they have a easy way out lol, I will consider it thought lol

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
So basically there is no way to be unable to view her and no I would rather the OBT not bite me
- They like to spin, so even if you made a custom tunnel/chamber, she may cover it in silk so you couldn't see anything. They live in a harsh environment and need to feel protected.

- If you've read any OBT bite reports, especially Methal's recent one, the statement "I'd rather the OBT not bite me', you wouldn't be so cavalier about it. The spider's not 'a pain'. It's doing what thousand of years of evolution have fine-tuned.

It's looking like this spider may not be a good fit for you. For what you want, a geniculata would be a much better choice.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
- They like to spin, so even if you made a custom tunnel/chamber, she may cover it in silk so you couldn't see anything. They live in a harsh environment and need to feel protected.

- If you've read any OBT bite reports, especially Methal's recent one, the statement "I'd rather the OBT not bite me', you wouldn't be so cavalier about it. The spider's not 'a pain'. It's doing what thousand of years of evolution have fine-tuned.

It's looking like this spider may not be a good fit for you. For what you want, a geniculata would be a much better choice.
+1 mine are all visible, but I leave them to web spin or dig whatever they want. I housed them aboreally/terrestrial for a long time but now they do not web a lot. As slings I didn't see them a lot.

Last edited:

horanjp

Arachnosquire
Good thread- I was wondering the great burrower dilemma myself this week. On the most intense day of thought, when I was closest to action, I came home and my balfouri had made a viewing hole for me and all but surfaced in plain sight. Very rewarding. I will not disturb her, and I've learned some patience. Put the enclosure in the dark, your T may try to come out for a look....patience..... :coffee:

I almost forgot! I wanted to mention that I have an experience with a balfouri that I SKIMPED on substrate as well. At first, he made huge elaborate webbing to my delight, but he was always jumpy and looking pretty upset. The veterans are right in my opinion, if you want a spider that you can see 24/7...................................try a different hobby.

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
+1 Hmmmm, you MUST be doing something wrong? :laugh:
+1 I agree. LOL do everything right tarantulas are not a boring spider they are crazy !!. I kept orb weavers, Ts are not boring like them. crazy in a good way :biggrin:.

Last edited: