Restless a hentzi

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My a hentzi is constantly climbing the walls of her enclosure, and frequently spends time upside down on the screen up top. Use the same substrate/cage as before I rehoused her a few weeks ago, but she goes on really crazy climbing missions... Any ideas why or how to remedy this folks?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
The cage shouldn't have a screen top, they can get stuck and hang there all night. Time for a new top, first priority.

BTW, it's A. hentzi.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ok great advice!!! I'm on it!!

--J.Haas

---------- Post added 12-22-2014 at 12:16 AM ----------

And I'll be sure to label it properly next time...

--J.Haas

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
No never was a borrower really... She had a small hole she would hang out in but I wouldn't call it much of a burrow really...

--J.Haas

14pokies

Arachnoprince
No never was a borrower really... She had a small hole she would hang out in but I wouldn't call it much of a burrow really...

--J.Haas
O word..my male never digs or really uses a hide much..my female digs a long hap hazard burrow like thing on the side of the enclosure.lol...both seem to get really stressed when I remove them from the cage or do a rehouse...they usually act skittish for a week or so..its probably just from the rehouse you did.you can get plexi at home depot to make a lid....its expensive tho..or you can do what I do and cover the inside with clear packing tape and cut out a few squares towards the middle for ventilation.. The tape is slick enough that most terrestrial can't get a grip on it while going from vertical to upside down..

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wonderful suggestion - it's almost 10pm here so I can't do ANYHHING ab the lid Til tomortow bc nothing is open right now :-$
It's been w few weeks since I rehouses her so maybe she is just taking a while to move in?

--J.Haas

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Ya maybe..mine don't stay mad that long lol! Try this..I did it with my girlfriends b.albo recently after a rehouse where he didn't seem to settle in well..take a good size lump of very slightly moist sphagnum moss and put it in there..her t started to hide in it that night..that's all I can think of sorry..

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
No that's very helpful thank u! I'll see if she digs the moss and post tomorrow!

--J.Haas

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Whats the dementions of her tank and how are the temps and humidity for her. Just keep them dry with a clean water dish. I soak one side of the enclosure every other week for the heck of it. I always have hentzi's on me and they always wonder. I've been through the same thing. What i do is rehouse. I take them out, clean the tank, put new substrate inside (close to 10") and a hide and water dish. I always start a pre made pet hole with the end of a large flash light or something. They will take to it and soon will be nothing but occupied digging a tunnel through the entire bottom. Good luck with the "A. hentzi" lol.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Whats the dementions of her tank and how are the temps and humidity for her. Just keep them dry with a clean water dish. I soak one side of the enclosure every other week for the heck of it. I always have hentzi's on me and they always wonder. I've been through the same thing. What i do is rehouse. I take them out, clean the tank, put new substrate inside (close to 10") and a hide and water dish. I always start a pre made pet hole with the end of a large flash light or something. They will take to it and soon will be nothing but occupied digging a tunnel through the entire bottom. Good luck with the "A. hentzi" lol.
Now I feel bad mine only have 4-5inches of sub! I'm gonna change that..I didn't realize they were the equivalent to new world haplos! I keep mine almost bone dry..Im going to start wetting the sub on one side like you suggest also..

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

--J.Haas
Ts like to explore after rehousing almost always, enjoy. My female LP like webbed everything... all walls in her 20gall long.

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
aphonopelma hentzis seem to like pre made burrows. Smaller ones will dig burrows my 2" female likes to dig but my 3 other mature females took to pre made burrows and have no problems. In the wild they have even taken up residence in the burrow of toads. Sort of cohabitation this I have personally witnessed in my back yard. Sometimes see toad sitting about 6" inches outside burrow and spider sitting in burrow entrance. They seem to prefer long tunnels right under some structure as in rocks, concrete,or wood in the wild. Most of my hentzi enclosures I use 2" PVC pipe buried right under the substrate with a flat rock over the top. photo (2).jpg photo (4).jpg
this is a large critter keeper.this is my mature A. hentzi females enclosure that produced egg sac in this enclosure. Hope this helps

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I will add substrate, maybe start a little hole and tape up my screen so she can't hang upside down anymore... Any other ideas? She is semi close to the heater, maybe she's a bit hot?

--J.Haas

Sana

Arachnoprince
I took a little bit of sub and some web from my pampho's previous enclosure and put it into the new one and s/he settled right in without the endless wandering that I've seen with some of mine. This is the first time I've tried it though, so I can't guarantee that it always works.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I took a little bit of sub and some web from my pampho's previous enclosure and put it into the new one and s/he settled right in without the endless wandering that I've seen with some of mine. This is the first time I've tried it though, so I can't guarantee that it always works.
+1 I always give my ts back some of there web

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
agree with this. i always try to bring a "mat" of silk over to the new enclosure they seem to settle in right away, those without mats seem to be those who go from webbaholics to lazy bums for a few weeks. but those who brought the silk with them. make it back as their home :p

Sana

Arachnoprince
I'm glad to hear from others that this is a valid idea. I intend to continue using it in the future.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I will do that too next time I rehouse!! I don't kno y I never thought of that lol

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wondering if a small amount of this behavior is due to having her in a semi close proximity to the heater? She's not at all boiling but she seems to get a little more rambunctious when it's on?

--J.Haas

---------- Post added 12-25-2014 at 12:50 PM ----------

She seems to enjoy the heat, tho... Every time the heater goes on, she presses her self up to the glass nearest to the heater, I assume to bask in the warmth.