Spiders Having Feelings?

Regalius

Arachnopeon
Okay, so this may sound weird or stupid to some people, but whatever :happy:

I love how expressive Jumping Spiders seem to be. I feel like they all have personalities.

Sometimes I wonder if my spiders get bored or depressed... :cry:

What do you guys think?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I am not sure what you mean(all spiders? or true spiders), They do not have Personality's like cats/dogs.
But each Tarantula, I owned ever seemed to have its own personality. Wolf spiders & jumpers also seem different Personality's, depending on specimen.
With many Ohio species of orb weavers I kept, I could not tell any difference in behavior(not much personality).

Id imagine the largest spiders , have decent sized or biggg brains for arthropods. Tiny jumpers however are very smart and small.
Biting to not getting eaten is part of there personality (defensiveness) , does not make a spider mean I had a WC jumper bite me once.

Science cannot prove anything like this(or disprove it). Emotions are a higher Intelligence thing usually Mammalls, reptiles Etc. Spiders usually have a survival of the fittest attitude, rare to find communal species.
Only God could know, how can we get into the mind of these creatures?? :laugh: ..

Last edited:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
It's an established fact animals feel depression and elation. A typical example is a dog dying and a close canine companion of it going into an acute depression, even losing the will to live. How far down the evolvement ladder this extends I don't believe has ever been established. Personally I would not rule out some degree of empathy among arachnids. What degree? And does it vary from species to species? Big unknowns there.