My B. smithi (4in DLS) stuck in molt :(

Sharno

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi all -
I returned from a trip to find my B.smithi mid-molt, so I have no idea how long she had been in the process. This was about 24 hours ago. She was on her back. It didn't look like it was going smoothly, but I can't really get specific - just compared to what I've seen. But I did not disturb her.

This morning she did not look much changed. When she does move, it appears she is trying to use her legs to lift the old exoskeleton off.

I put her in the bathroom and let it steam. I've read in a few places this might help. She had plenty of water in her water dish but it's still dry here and dry in her cage.

When she didn't make any progress after 4 hours today, I took a closer look and it is almost as if an area of her midsection is what's hanging it up, not any of the legs. I've read that glycerin can be used gently as a last resort to help free up an area, but would like a second or third opinion. She must be exhausted.

Thanks in advance for any ideas. She's my biggest girl and oldest tarantula. She usually doesn't molt until June/July, this was unexpected.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Her mid-section as in her pedisol? Or are the book lungs kinda stuck on her abdomen? A combination of warm soapy (1 drop of soap in the water) and a paintbrush and tweezers will be your best bet of getting her free. You just gently use the paintbrush or a cotton swab to moisten and brush the stuck areas and the tweezers can be used to help tug along ( I only use them for stuck legs though). I've never used glycerin but as long as you don't get it into her booklungs or mouth it might work. I'd go with the soapy water first.

Last edited:

Sharno

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Her mid-section as in her pedisol? Or are the book lungs kinda stuck on her abdomen? A combination of warm soapy (1 drop of soap in the water) and a paintbrush and tweezers will be your best bet of getting her free. You just gently use the paintbrush or a cotton swab to moisten and brush the stuck areas and the tweezers can be used to help tug along ( I only use them for stuck legs though). I've never used glycerin but as long as you don't get it into her booklungs or mouth it might work. I'd go with the soapy water first.
It is hard to tell as I have been trying to let her be as much as possible. It almost looks like her book lungs area I believe. She is staying upright now (her choice) and can move to the water dish. I am going to try what you suggest. Will post a picture although that shows nothing except how tragic it is. UGH. It's heartbreaking. bsmithibadmolt.jpg

awiec

Arachnoprince
I think it is the book lungs which if only one pair is stuck then she might live as long as she's provided with good ventilation. You can soften the exo and see if she gets herself out or cover her cage with a damp towel/add another water bowl to bump the humidity up so she may be able to free herself if your intervention don't work

Sharno

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think it is the book lungs which if only one pair is stuck then she might live as long as she's provided with good ventilation. You can soften the exo and see if she gets herself out or cover her cage with a damp towel/add another water bowl to bump the humidity up so she may be able to free herself if your intervention don't work
I tried some warm, soapy water as you suggested. It's definitely in the area of the book lungs but hard to see. Also, her abdomen is not fully molted properly either, but I've seen that before.

You mean leave her like this...and just make sure she gets nutrition? She has access to water and can move around pretty good despite her situation. Will give her another boost of humidity and try again.

I have to leave town in the morning which is a problem - I thought this would have resolved for better or worse in the 48 hours I've been home but apparently she's managed to keep it touch and go.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I tried some warm, soapy water as you suggested. It's definitely in the area of the book lungs but hard to see. Also, her abdomen is not fully molted properly either, but I've seen that before.

You mean leave her like this...and just make sure she gets nutrition? She has access to water and can move around pretty good despite her situation. Will give her another boost of humidity and try again.

I have to leave town in the morning which is a problem - I thought this would have resolved for better or worse in the 48 hours I've been home but apparently she's managed to keep it touch and go.
Well if there is old exo still stuck in book lungs then its a little dangerous to try to get it out since they are delicate. Seeing as you must leave as least cut away the majority if the already molted exo so she can move better. While its always best to try to get the old exo off, your best bet is just to keep the conditions favorable to getting the old exo to fall off itself.

Sharno

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sadly she did not make it.

I saw emboli. I guess she was a he. Depressing either way :(

cold blood

Staff member
Sorry for the loss...is it possible he was already mature and attempting a post-ultimate molt? I ask because while its attempted, its rarely successful.

Molting is a really bad time to let the water dish dry out.:(

Sharno

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
No, definitely not mature yet. I had two different hobbyists sex her (him) ventrally and they were adamant it was a female.

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry for your loss :(

I think 4" would not be close to a post ultimate or even MM molt.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Post ultimate male smithi molting at 4 inches? It may be the newly discovered dwarf smithi! -_-
well it woudlnt surprize me at 4.5" area.. now if it was a 3" genic, or something known to be large [like 4" mm lasi that would be weird] thats when we begin to worry/study imo ;)