Keeping Curious T's In Their Enclosure

Spaceblues

Arachnopeon
My E. sp red seems to have the curiosity that I'd read about when researching them. Whenever she senses activity around her enclosure she slowly starts moving around to investigate.

I assume that when I open her enclosure for the first time she's going to want to "go for a stroll" so to speak. I've seen tons of videos of people that let their T's come out on their hands when they exhibit this behavior but I don't plan on handling her.

I've also seen people use a paintbrush or chopstick to coerce their T's along, but that's for making them go somewhere rather than keeping them in their place.

Any tips for me on what to do when she decides to go on an adventure up the wall when the top comes off? Sorry if this is an incredibly stupid question, but I just want to be sure I know what to do and there was nothing in the TKG about this that I saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
Keep a catch cup handy! It really is a good piece of advice,I've found.You can use the paintbrush/chopstick to keep her in place,as well as move her.

Spaceblues

Arachnopeon
Keep a catch cup handy! It really is a good piece of advice,I've found.You can use the paintbrush/chopstick to keep her in place,as well as move her.
Yep I always keep a cup handy just in case! So you can use the brush in their face to discourage their progress forward? I'd only seen people use it from behind to kind of steer them along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The only ones I have that regularly try to escape are my A.diversipes and A.versicolor slings. They'll run up the tongs and then hop from hand to hand as I attempt to guide them back into their enclosures.

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The only ones I have that regularly try to escape are my A.diversipes and A.versicolor slings. They'll run up the tongs and then hop from hand to hand as I attempt to guide them back into their enclosures.
In my experience they only do this when they don't have a proper hide or have made any tube webs. If you just rehoused an avic sling they tend to do this often, but once mine made their webs they feel a bit more secure and don't try to bolt out.

I am currently experiencing this with a P vittata sling, who feels it is necessary to hang out in the corner of the lid, rather than make use of the hide. He/she webs the lid to the container but if i have to open it the web is destroyed. Not sure what to do to help it out!

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In my experience they only do this when they don't have a proper hide or have made any tube webs. If you just rehoused an avic sling they tend to do this often, but once mine made their webs they feel a bit more secure and don't try to bolt out.

I am currently experiencing this with a P vittata sling, who feels it is necessary to hang out in the corner of the lid, rather than make use of the hide. He/she webs the lid to the container but if i have to open it the web is destroyed. Not sure what to do to help it out!
Mine all have webs established, but they do like to go for walks on occasion.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
If the t wants to come out let it! Into a catch cup that is...if you are constantly pushing it back in the enclosure with a paintbrush or chopstick your just gonna piss it off and stress it out..

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If the t wants to come out let it! Into a catch cup that is...if you are constantly pushing it back in the enclosure with a paintbrush or chopstick your just gonna piss it off and stress it out..
I take mine for walks every morning.

Sana

Arachnoprince

We're having a similar issue here with my S.O.'s vitatta. She webs her enclosure top to bottom and then hangs out at the top. I've noticed that if she feels a vibration from touching her enclosure and she's hungry she'll move down to the ground. I refuse to open the enclosure if she isn't hungry though, cause we had a close call and I don't want to lose her in the house. I just save any maintenance for when she has her mouth full.

Medusa

Arachnoknight
My little E.sp Red and Yellow don't move fast enough for me to have a problem discouraging them from leaving their container. These are the only Ts I have where I use my finger(s) to encourage them to move elsewhere. They certainly aren't typical. (I also own E. truculentus and E. pulcherrimaklaasi and they are both skittish and defensive. No touching them.)

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
bahahaha this got funny quick.. on a serious note iv used a brush to push mine back.. usually just tapping on their front foot keeps them in the enclosure. with the exception of my veri.. sucker has a nice established Y shaped web with 3 entrances/exits and still insists on making me play baton twirler with my tongs as i always hope hell just run onto the leaf but oh know versicolor thinks hes a racecar.. "lets run up the tongs, make the silly human twirl it ill pretend im going on the leaf and make a super sharp left turn, and fly up the other side and make him turn it again.. till he finaly gets bored and brushes me off the tongs.." lol but to coax a T i have tapped a brush gently on the front toes usually they either walk backwards a bit or in the case with the slings they sometimes curl up their front legs

cold blood

Staff member
Any tips for me on what to do when she decides to go on an adventure up the wall when the top comes off?
Put the top back on...its really that simple:)

How long do you really need the top off? And its not like its a species known for bolting.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I don't have to understand this statement, do I?

Honestly, with these unless they displayed any form of defensive behavior, I personally use my hands. They are by nature really "inquisitive" in lack of a better term. And while I don't support handling really, these are an exception as they are willingly, on their own accord, walking out onto your hand. There's no encouragement from the keeper even needed to, they just do. Because of that and the fact that I've yet to see one "scared" and displaying defensive behavior (friend of mine had an AF that kicked hairs like a boehmei) I use mine as "ambassador" for people scared about T's. All but one of mine are really sweet, calm and inquisive. The runt of the litter has actually thrown me a threat-pose a couple times, so I leave that girl alone and use catchcups if she ventures out.

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We're having a similar issue here with my S.O.'s vitatta. She webs her enclosure top to bottom and then hangs out at the top. I've noticed that if she feels a vibration from touching her enclosure and she's hungry she'll move down to the ground. I refuse to open the enclosure if she isn't hungry though, cause we had a close call and I don't want to lose her in the house. I just save any maintenance for when she has her mouth full.
Very interesting!

And yeah I only open it to water or feed it, but I hate destroying the webs it creates =/. Although today I noticed there was some webbing on the leaves. Maybe he/she will eventually learn to stay off the lid :p

gobey

Arachnoknight
My E. parvulus behaves this way... I think mostly because he's a MM... But usually gentle maneuvering with the lid of his enclosure is enough... These days he stays put more often than coming out for a stroll... My Avicularia used to walk outside all the time... That was a hassle.

My E. parvulus is recently the only T I've handled with no real worries. For myself at least. I always worry about the T
But I'd like you never open up the enclosure with the intent of handling. I still try to keep him in there first and foremost... But should he come out. He's not too hard to get back in. He takes a LOT to even start kicking a hair.