Astronomy Flashlights

Spaceblues

Arachnopeon
Do any of you use these when doing a quick check on your T's (see if the food is uneaten, check on molts, etc)?

I used to have a tiny keychain astronomy flashlight that was a red LED so as not to ruin your night vision and my understanding is that T's don't "see" red light. My T's are in a dim room and this seems like a great way to do a quick check without turning on lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

samatwwe

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just use a regular small flashlight and it's done the trick for me. I use it all the time to see them. They never seem bothered by it either as I don't shine it directly on them.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I'm thinking about using a regular flashlight with a red gel. I work in theatrical lighting design and gel is a sheet of plastic like material of different colors that is used to change the color of the lighting on the stage. I'm planning to rubber band a piece over the bulb of the flashlight.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I use a headlamp. It has 3 settings, bright, not as bright, and red. I love it lol. It is great for viewing and maintenance, bright light and hands free!

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
i actually use a blacklight and one of them is from an old plastic airsoft mount [cheap stuff lol] works good and its purple so wont rewin it as much you still see bolus and uneaten food. but i also use a normal light from time to time. idk if they actually dont see red but they act the same for my red lamps, my black light and my flashlight.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I'm thinking about using a regular flashlight with a red gel. I work in theatrical lighting design and gel is a sheet of plastic like material of different colors that is used to change the color of the lighting on the stage. I'm planning to rubber band a piece over the bulb of the flashlight.
This is what I've used for over a year, and it works like a charm.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I have an LED light that came with a red gel lens. I've hunted all over for that lens, but could not locate it. But I totally forgot that I also have an astronomy red LED light!

Nosiris

Arachnosquire
I have a fancy Eagtac torch that came with interchangeable red and infra-red lamps. Usually I keep the red one fitted and leave it in the spider room. It works well - I don't get dazzled and the spiders don't even notice. Everyone's happy.