Unidentified Theraphosidae (No ID Requests)

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
This thread is for undescribed, or unidentified species in the hobby. Spiders that have not been identified down to a genus level yet. ( this is not a thread to post ID me pics) I've got many species that have been coming in with vague names like Theraphosinae sp. "anything", and they need a place to post photo's of them.

Theraphosidae sp." Cundinamarca"

Theraphosinae sp. "cuzco"

Theraphosinae sp. "Costa rica" ( also traded as Cryspidromus sp. "Black emilia" , or Lasiodora icecu ).

Theraphosinae sp. "Panama" spiderling

Theraphosinae sp. Ecuador ( also traded as Cyclosternum sp. Machalla )

Later, Tom

Maximoshtenberg

Arachnopeon
What's the care for these guys like? I've been considering picking up one soon

EDIT: The sp. Panama that is

Last edited:

dactylus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Tom do you have adult females of the Theraphosidae sp." Cundinamarca" variety?

c.h.esteban

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Theraphosinae sp. CUNDINAMARCA
female BL ca. 35 mm

this picture was made in 2012.
now the female is a little bit bigger (BL 40 mm) and has the same coloration like the bigger juveniles.

Gekkotan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Tom, do you know more about this Monte Carmelo? Like where is this locality and what its looks like when adult? Thanks

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Just speculation, but the Theraphosinae sp. "Rotan" looks like a Holothele.
I doubt it. Not sure what it is yet, but wouldn't be surprised if its a new genus. The males are a pretty purple-ish color. See here.

Tom, do you know more about this Monte Carmelo? Like where is this locality and what its looks like when adult? Thanks
I don't know anything about them yet. Monte Carmelo seems to be a Brazil local. It kind of reminds me of a Plesiopelma species, but who knows. I don't think there are any pictures of adults available yet.

Later, Tom

dactylus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Tom I have a lead that I'm tracking down for more info on the Monte Carmelo animals. I'll let you know if I receive any worthwhile info.

I like the looks of the Theraphosinae sp. "Rotan" too.

David

Gekkotan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am brazilian and I can tell you they are just not existent in brazilian hobby. Maybe it is from here, but I think it is pretty much improbable. Never even saw any picture of it in brazilian forums or FB groups.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I am brazilian and I can tell you they are just not existent in brazilian hobby. Maybe it is from here, but I think it is pretty much improbable. Never even saw any picture of it in brazilian forums or FB groups.
Hello from the U.S. and thanks for the comments. I just assumed it was from Brazil, as when you Google " Monte Carmelo" the following sentence comes up. "Monte Carmelo is a Brazilian municipality located in the northwest of the state of Minas Gerais" I could be very wrong though. With that said I wouldn't be surprised if we have a spider from there that's not known in the Brazilian hobby yet. It's my understanding that you have restrictions in place on keeping tarantulas ? Can you confirm that ? If so I could see many species popping up outside of Brazil first. Since spiders usually do not leave Brazil in a legal fashion, I'm sure its very hush hush when people are collecting and leaving the country with them. In most cases they have to travel through a few countries before we can legally obtain them here in the U.S. Sort of a silly loop hole in the system, but that's how it is. David (dactylus) and I have some good leads on who got there hands on them first, and we are tracking down more info on them. I'll post more about it here when I know more.

Thanks, Tom

Last edited:

Gekkotan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello from the U.S. and thanks for the comments. I just assumed it was from Brazil, as when you Google " Monte Carmelo" the following sentence comes up. "Monte Carmelo is a Brazilian municipality located in the northwest of the state of Minas Gerais" I could be very wrong though. With that said I wouldn't be surprised if we have a spider from there that's not known in the Brazilian hobby yet. It's my understanding that you have restrictions in place on keeping tarantulas ? Can you confirm that ? If so I could see many species popping up outside of Brazil first. Since spiders usually do not leave Brazil in a legal fashion, I'm sure its very hush hush when people are collecting and leaving the country with them. In most cases they have to travel through a few countries before we can legally obtain them here in the U.S. Sort of a silly loop hole in the system, but that's how it is. David (dactylus) and I have some good leads on who got there hands on them first, and we are tracking down more info on them. I'll post more about it here when I know more.

Thanks, Tom
Thats true Tom, here we are not allowed to keep them. I just think that this species may not be brazilian. Besides the prohibition, spiders are still kept by a lot of people, and when new and differents individuals are collected, they pop up in brazilians forums and FB groups. I am very interested in this. For example, I saw Oligoxystre diamantinensis and Pterinopelma sazimai pictures about 3 times at least before they were described, one of them was even here in AB. Also, they were kept and bred before they were exported from Brazil and I know the stories about who did this. Brazil is a very big country, but the hobby is pretty tight. It is almost like those small towns where anyone knows everybody. I am not saying that this is not a brazilian species, just that I would not, at any chance, bet all my coins in that.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I just think that this species may not be brazilian.
Well, you were right. They are from Peru. I spoke to the original collectors and here's what he had to say.

Well I collected this Theraphosinae last year in Peru at Amazon river beween Iquitos and Leticia.
It´s a medium sized species (around 4/5cm body). This nice spider is a little nervous and fast. Found them under rotten wood.

Got a single aggsac of this species. The picture you sent me should be one of my babies.
I'm still confused where the name "Monte Carmelo comes from though. He gave me permission to share a photo of the adult female.

Photo credit: Hans-Werner Auer

Later, Tom