My friend is wanting to give me his P. Striata, but...

scarhbar

Arachnopeon
I'm still fairly new to the hobby, and everyone says you should gain some more experience before trying a Pokie. She's a lovely 2" specimen, and he wants to give her to me for free! (He is moving to some dorms and cannot take her with). I've seen how quick and skittish they can be, especially during feeding haha, so I'm not totally naive. I honestly think my A. Genic (aka the spawn of satan) is far more aggressive and skittish than his cute girl.

Now, the responsible side of me says that I should say no, and tell him to sell it to someone else who has some more experience.

The not so smart, risk taking side of me, says heck ya! She is free, cute, and something I've always wanted. Plus, if I need help, my friend is not far away. I know part of the reason he wants me to take her is because he wants to see her grow up too.

What do you guys think? Should I take the plunge and take her in? Or should I say no and maybe try a little bit easier spider before I ever consider a Pokie?

Btw, I am aware of their bite. I expect it to feel like my skin is being peeled back with extreme joint pain and maybe some tight breathing.

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
In my opinion and experience(I'm sure many will disagree), I think it would be fine for you to take it as long as you're careful and you think before you act when dealing with her.

I got a juvenile OBT(I know, it's not the same as a pokie) as my second T less than a year after my G. rosea/porteri and, although I made a few mistake(I discovered how fast she could be on the first day after leaving the top of her cage open to admire her) since I didn't have forum to research them back then, I never had any problem with her and never got bit.

I think that as long as you have enough experience with Ts and know the basic care of the species you're getting, you'll be fine as long a you're careful and getting a smaller one is a good idea since they're easier to deal with when you make a mistake. It's much easier and way less scary to catch an escapee that's 2" instead of one that's 7-8".

Sana

Arachnoprince
That's such a hard choice to make. I too think the P. striata are the most beautiful poec I've ever seen. I would probably have a very hard time making the more responsible choice in your position. My S.O. got a P. vittata a few months ago, and I learned immediately that none of my beginner and intermediate level NW's prepared me for a poec. I've never seen a threat pose from her, but she's so fast it's ridiculous and really skittish. It took me two months to be able to feed her without help and I'm still too worried about escapes to do maintenance alone. The only time I even consider opening her enclosure is when she's on the ground hunting as it opens from the top. I've also learned to barely crack the lid and watch her to see if she's going to be still or take off running from the vibration before I open it far enough to do whatever I was thinking about doing.

Bottom line for me, I'm not ready for an OW species. There are a lot of tricks I need to learn from a fast, skittish, intermediate NW species without a medically significant venom. I wouldn't be able to take appropriate care of a poec alone and would likely create a situation that is dangerous for it and myself. Given all of that, I would have to turn down one if it was offered, or recommend a local keeper with an appropriate experience level. If you can find such a keeper, you can watch the T grow and enjoy it's life, without endangering anyone.

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you want it, take it.
There is no reason you should get bit, unless you handle it on purpose.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
If you want it, take it.

And then we see bites reports of a lot more people getting bit by Poecs then you would think possible. Evidently it's not that hard to get bit by one. I have a lot of them, and don't understand how people manage to do it. There's really no reason anyone 'should get bit', but they do. No one should get bit by any tarantula, and plenty do. Part of it's during handling, part of it isn't.

Last edited:

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
And then we see bites reports of a lot more people getting bit by Poecs then you would think possible. Evidently it's not that hard to get bit by one. I have a lot of them, and don't understand how people manage to do it.
I'd wager people saying they're "no big deal"" from having owned a sling for six months coupled with no idea how fast or defensive they *can* be contribute to most of the bites.

scarhbar

Arachnopeon
Read a few more bite reports. No rush to get one.
Do you mean to say that the bites are worse? I've seen the videos from tarantula guy on YouTube, and I've read a few on the forums about the bites, and I fully expect the worse from a Pokie. When you say "no rush to get one" do you mean to say that I should wait? I'm just a tad confused (sorry)

---------- Post added 12-23-2014 at 11:20 AM ----------

In my opinion and experience(I'm sure many will disagree), I think it would be fine for you to take it as long as you're careful and you think before you act when dealing with her.

I got a juvenile OBT(I know, it's not the same as a pokie) as my second T less than a year after my G. rosea/porteri and, although I made a few mistake(I discovered how fast she could be on the first day after leaving the top of her cage open to admire her) since I didn't have forum to research them back then, I never had any problem with her and never got bit.

I think that as long as you have enough experience with Ts and know the basic care of the species you're getting, you'll be fine as long a you're careful and getting a smaller one is a good idea since they're easier to deal with when you make a mistake. It's much easier and way less scary to catch an escapee that's 2" instead of one that's 7-8".
Haha oh yes, without a doubt the smaller size (at the moment) is far more appealing than taking on a monster haha! I don't think care is too difficult, especially since Ive seen how my friend raised her from a sling. Good response! Thank you!

---------- Post added 12-23-2014 at 11:23 AM ----------

That's such a hard choice to make. I too think the P. striata are the most beautiful poec I've ever seen. I would probably have a very hard time making the more responsible choice in your position. My S.O. got a P. vittata a few months ago, and I learned immediately that none of my beginner and intermediate level NW's prepared me for a poec. I've never seen a threat pose from her, but she's so fast it's ridiculous and really skittish. It took me two months to be able to feed her without help and I'm still too worried about escapes to do maintenance alone. The only time I even consider opening her enclosure is when she's on the ground hunting as it opens from the top. I've also learned to barely crack the lid and watch her to see if she's going to be still or take off running from the vibration before I open it far enough to do whatever I was thinking about doing.

Bottom line for me, I'm not ready for an OW species. There are a lot of tricks I need to learn from a fast, skittish, intermediate NW species without a medically significant venom. I wouldn't be able to take appropriate care of a poec alone and would likely create a situation that is dangerous for it and myself. Given all of that, I would have to turn down one if it was offered, or recommend a local keeper with an appropriate experience level. If you can find such a keeper, you can watch the T grow and enjoy it's life, without endangering anyone.
You know what? Now that you mention the dealer, maybe it'd be worth trying to keep her for a few months, then if I feel that she is way too challenging, I could trade her in for store credit and get an avic (or something similar) instead? Kind of like testing the waters I guess? Not sure if that is a great way to do it, but that's why I'm asking! I like this forum :) and yes it is a hard struggle

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
At least you're here,and getting good advice,that's a start.I don't know you to tell you whether or not you should take her,but it seems you'd be ok,at least you know the dangers beforehand,and you should respect her venom,but I think you're off to a good start.

scarhbar

Arachnopeon
If you want it, take it.
I really don't think Tarantulas should be handled in the first place. Like fish, I think they are best to just be looked at :) with a few exceptions of course

---------- Post added 12-23-2014 at 12:20 PM ----------

At least you're here,and getting good advice,that's a start.I don't know you to tell you whether or not you should take her,but it seems you'd be ok,at least you know the dangers beforehand,and you should respect her venom,but I think you're off to a good start.
I think I'd go as far as putting her cage in a large cardboard box before I feed her or do any matinence, just in case she got out, so I'd have slightly more time to react! I also have very long aquarium tongs (used for planting plants) that I'd use to feed her. I have a healthy fear and respect for them :)

---------- Post added 12-23-2014 at 12:30 PM ----------

You know what, I think I made up my mind as to what I'm doing! As I mentioned to an earlier post, I think I may try keeping her for a few weeks or months and see how I do with her. If I feel comfortable, I'll keep her. If I feel uncomfortable, I'll trade her in to my local reptile store for an easier arboreal like an avic! I may start a "journal" of some sorts to keep track of her on here or get advice. Not sure if there's really a forum section for that, but we'll see. Thanks guys and gals!

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
Expect the cardboard box to maybe not help much, I've once had a t get out of its enclosure, run half the lenght of a kitchen table, do the same under, climb down the leg in the middle(I assume since I didn't see it jump) and then run off a good portion of the room before stopping completely before I could even react and that wasn't something as fast as a pokie(I can't remember which one it was though, but I never expected it to be that fast for that long).

It ended well since I simply used a catch cup I had ready and slowly put it over her to get her back since she was in plain view.

My point is whatever you do to try and control the situation, always expect it's not enough and have a couple of backup plans ready like prepare a place for her she may prefer to hide in instead of running away further(it worked a couple of times for me) and always have a couple of catch cup ready.

There's no better way to gain experience with something than to experience it yourself first hand, just prepare yourself the best you can with research and logic first.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Well if you do not feel comfortable with keeping it, then why not post an ad here on AB? I'm sure there will be someone to buy it or trade a calmer spider for it. It's still a win-win, the spider gets a good home and you don't end up over your head with a pokie.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Since none of us knows you, the only "advice" we can give is the general one. However, it really comes down to yourself:

* do you think you can deal with that T now and when it grows? As in feeding, maintenance, rehousings (!!!)
* do you think you can deal with that T if it turns out to be more high strung than expected?
* do you feel comfortable with that T around? Now as in "small", as much as in "later" when 6"+ ?

If the answer to these questions would be yes, then perhaps it would work - as long as you keep in mind not to overestimate yourself / underestimate the T.

If you are worried, uncomfortable, not sure if you could deal with that T once it has grown into a self-confident, large specimen - than certainly "no" - wait some before getting into them.

Reason I'm saying it this way is the fact that some people started on more high-strung species right away, with no incidents. But on the same note, plenty do and receive nasty bites because of being careless, negligent, overestimating themself and underestimating the spider. It all really boils down to you and your common-sense and self-confidence.

In other words: Please, please keep in mind that bite-reports of any kind of tarantula make it harder and harder for the hobby. Less we have, the better it is.

scarhbar

Arachnopeon
Expect the cardboard box to maybe not help much, I've once had a t get out of its enclosure, run half the lenght of a kitchen table, do the same under, climb down the leg in the middle(I assume since I didn't see it jump) and then run off a good portion of the room before stopping completely before I could even react and that wasn't something as fast as a pokie(I can't remember which one it was though, but I never expected it to be that fast for that long).

It ended well since I simply used a catch cup I had ready and slowly put it over her to get her back since she was in plain view.

My point is whatever you do to try and control the situation, always expect it's not enough and have a couple of backup plans ready like prepare a place for her she may prefer to hide in instead of running away further(it worked a couple of times for me) and always have a couple of catch cup ready.

There's no better way to gain experience with something than to experience it yourself first hand, just prepare yourself the best you can with research and logic first.
Ya, I know a cardboard box won't do a damn thing haha. At least the little vertical climb might provide a slight bit of extra time. I also might just have another person like my wife or friend be an extra set of hands in case. My friend keeps telling me that she's really one of a kind. Fairly slow moving out of his collections of Pokies (that's what he tells me) . From what I've experienced is, she's more likely to curl up than to dash, except when he feeds her. I've also seen her hanging out near the ground more often than not. Interesting girl! I bet that personality changes as she gets bigger!

---------- Post added 12-23-2014 at 03:18 PM ----------

Well if you do not feel comfortable with keeping it, then why not post an ad here on AB? I'm sure there will be someone to buy it or trade a calmer spider for it. It's still a win-win, the spider gets a good home and you don't end up over your head with a pokie.
And you're like the voice of reason in my head haha. The only thing is, I'm just scared at how much is pay down the road for a confirmed female one of these when I can get it free now. But I will certain to post her here first if I feel uncomfortable with her. Are you interested at all, by chance? If so, and I want to sell her, I'll make sure to contact you first!

---------- Post added 12-23-2014 at 03:48 PM ----------

Since none of us knows you, the only "advice" we can give is the general one. However, it really comes down to yourself:

* do you think you can deal with that T now and when it grows? As in feeding, maintenance, rehousings (!!!)
* do you think you can deal with that T if it turns out to be more high strung than expected?
* do you feel comfortable with that T around? Now as in "small", as much as in "later" when 6"+ ?

If the answer to these questions would be yes, then perhaps it would work - as long as you keep in mind not to overestimate yourself / underestimate the T.

If you are worried, uncomfortable, not sure if you could deal with that T once it has grown into a self-confident, large specimen - than certainly "no" - wait some before getting into them.

Reason I'm saying it this way is the fact that some people started on more high-strung species right away, with no incidents. But on the same note, plenty do and receive nasty bites because of being careless, negligent, overestimating themself and underestimating the spider. It all really boils down to you and your common-sense and self-confidence.

In other words: Please, please keep in mind that bite-reports of any kind of tarantula make it harder and harder for the hobby. Less we have, the better it is.
Oh no, I completely agree! I think bites can be prevented for the most part (Of course accidents happen). To answer your questions, Yes! I absolutely love the larger T's. Even the more free-spirited ones.

I never fail to plan and do my research, before buying any pet, really. I started planning a Pokie tank, feeding schedule, decor, food type, and everything the minute after I saw a P. Metallica. I'm certainly an analyzer and a planner (must be my INTP personality type haha). I really appreciate your response! You gave me a lot of of good questions to consider, and a lot of other things to consider! So thank you!

Just on a side note, is there any sort of subforum for journals? On a lot of reptile and fish forums, people have "Tank Journals" where they can share progress and get advice from other members. I think I may be blind or this site may not have one.

cold blood

Staff member
I'm still fairly new to the hobby...I am aware of their bite. I expect it to feel like my skin is being peeled back with extreme joint pain and maybe some tight breathing.
Part of me really wanted to tell you to get it because you already deal with a genic. But seeing as you are new, I can't say just how much experience the genic offered you...I also don't know how big it is....that said, the above quote has me saying to just pass on it. See, if you were really ready, you would be aware of its capabilities, but no experienced keeper should ever go into a purchase EXPECTING the bite and accompanying pain.

In time, when you have the experience, you won't expect a bite, and its effects will be less of a cause for concern as you already know how to properly deal with the specimen in a safe, controlled manner. I know you may not have meant it exactly like that, but I see it as a comment an appropriately experienced keeper would be unlikely to word in that manner.

Just my opinion based on the little info I have been given, ultimately you know better than those that don't actually know you....but there will always be another available in the future...I mean, what are you really out by buying one in the future...less than $50....that's not really enough $ in the grand scheme of things to force your hand too early.

If you feel you have to ask, chances are that you aren't ready quite yet.;)

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Part of me really wanted to tell you to get it because you already deal with a genic. But seeing as you are new, I can't say just how much experience the genic offered you...I also don't know how big it is....that said, the above quote has me saying to just pass on it. See, if you were really ready, you would be aware of its capabilities, but no experienced keeper should ever go into a purchase EXPECTING the bite and accompanying pain.

In time, when you have the experience, you won't expect a bite, and its effects will be less of a cause for concern as you already know how to properly deal with the specimen in a safe, controlled manner. I know you may not have meant it exactly like that, but I see it as a comment an appropriately experienced keeper would be unlikely to word in that manner.

Just my opinion based on the little info I have been given, ultimately you know better than those that don't actually know you....but there will always be another available in the future...I mean, what are you really out by buying one in the future...less than $50....that's not really enough $ in the grand scheme of things to force your hand too early.

I think it's a figure of speech, like I'd expect it to be wet after raining. I don't think he's expecting to get bit, but knows how it would mess him up.

cold blood

Staff member
You know what, I think I made up my mind as to what I'm doing! As I mentioned to an earlier post, I think I may try keeping her for a few weeks or months and see how I do with her. If I feel comfortable, I'll keep her. If I feel uncomfortable, I'll trade her in to my local reptile store for an easier arboreal like an avic! I may start a "journal" of some sorts to keep track of her on here or get advice. Not sure if there's really a forum section for that, but we'll see. Thanks guys and gals!
Keep in mind that at 2", things are still going to be fairly easy compared to when its a few molts larger. 2" may not give you the best idea as to the possible challenges of a 3.5, 4.5" or larger one as at smaller sizes they tend to be less defensive and more prone to just hiding, which can make dealing with smaller ones quite a bit easier than a larger confident one that stays right where it is when you open or move the enclosure. And they can grow quite fast.

---------- Post added 12-23-2014 at 05:19 PM ----------

I think it's a figure of speech, like I'd expect it to be wet after raining. I don't think he's expecting to get bit, but knows how it would mess him up.
Like I said "I know you may not have meant it like that but...an appropriately experienced keeper would be unlikely word in that manner"

I know I would have never worded it like that, figure of speech or not. Just sayin'

Last edited:

scarhbar

Arachnopeon

Oh no, I definitely don't go in expecting a bite. I'd compare it to a gun. I'll treat it like it's always loaded and deadly, even though it may not be. I just don't want to sound like one of those people who think a bite would be nothing more than a bee sting. I honestly just posted that so people didn't think I sounded like I didn't have a clue. Ha TLDR: I know this bite will probably hurt, but I don't expect it to bite me. I just know it's always a possibility.

And you're exactly right! I came on here to get advice as to whether or not I was ready. It does make perfect sense that since I'm asking, then I probably means that I'm not ready. I've done a ton of research, and planning for the day where I could get a Pokie, but that obviously doesn't equate to experience. I think I posted on here looking more for reassurance.

Once again, it comes down to that impulsive risk taking side vs. the responsible, patient side. Like I mentioned above, maybe a few weeks with her would give me a good idea as to what she's going to be like? Or is that a bad idea? Idk what you'd call it...a "trial"?

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
And you're exactly right! I came on here to get advice as to whether or not I was ready. It does make perfect sense that since I'm asking, then I probably means that I'm not ready. I've done a ton of research, and planning for the day where I could get a Pokie, but that obviously doesn't equate to experience. I think I posted on here looking more for reassurance.
my feelings exactly - if you need reassurance, you're not ready.

Once again, it comes down to that impulsive risk taking side vs. the responsible, patient side. Like I mentioned above, maybe a few weeks with her would give me a good idea as to what she's going to be like? Or is that a bad idea? Idk what you'd call it...a "trial"?
a few weeks with a 2"sling isn't going to show you how an adult behaves. And it's an animal, not a car or a blender. To think you can "test drive" an animal is just wrong, imo.

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
I'd say coming in here proves he's responsible enough to care for it and understand the risk so he's ready as he'll ever be. All you need to be is careful and you'll figure it out.

A few weeks with a 2" sling will let him know if he's ready for a 2" sling and he'll slowly gain the experience needed as it grows, you don't need to be ready to care for an adult now if you're not getting an adult.

Why not compare it to going on a date with someone instead. It's a better comparison since it's two living things, you won't know if you like someone unless you spend time with them.