Psa. Iriminia

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
Hello, I am picking up an approx. 2" leg span Venezuelan Sun tiger today. My enclosure is set between 70-80 humidity where it ranges throughout the day between that. What is the correct range of humidity for this Tarantula? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.:angelic:

cold blood

Staff member
care sheet conundrum

Please don't follow care sheets that closely. They don't require (nor do 99% of species) a number specific humidity...that's only gonna lead to trouble down the line.

Just make sure it has a water dish and moisten a small area of sub occasionally.

Post a pic of the set-up....as long as its properly set up, its an easy t to maintain.

If you have a hygrometer, as I suspect by your comments, return it, it will only get you and your t in trouble.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
That's a first sign of a bad care sheet to me - when they list specific humidity percentages. Not only is humidity next to impossible to accurately measure, but it ends up not mattering at the end of the day. Like cold blood said, just provide a water dish and moisten one side of the enclosure once per week or so.

This was literally my second species, and in my opinion, it's a pretty easy T to care for. Just make sure you have plenty of ventilation, they don't deal with stuffy cages very well.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Moist (not too wet or too dry) sub is fine, don't mist the enclosure, you can just wet the sub once it gets too dry, also a water bowl is important it also provides enough humidity, don't use screen top enclosures, but make sure there is adequate ventilation, also cork bark and fake plants + tall enclosure is fine, sub must be at least 2" deep, and please don't use water gel/sponges/cotton wool or any other "fancy" stuff in your water bowl, they provide a growing haven for mould and water gel has a high calcium content, and also Ts can not drown in their water bowls.. is this your first T?

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
Thank you all for your help. I am having complications with regards to photos. But my enclosure is a critter keeper. Yes, not the ideal setup. My substrate is moist enough to squeeze into a clump yet dry enough that no water seeps out when i squeeze it. I have a corner dampened with a water dish no larger than the T's leg span (2"). i have cork bark setup in which i glued two pieces together to make a hide. i have it pitched at an incline to offer as much of an arboreal setup as possible. I also glued a strip of cork bark on to the side as well.I used reinforced tape to make a ventilation design that offers good, not excessive ventilation. All in all its climbing height is 6" from substrate to top of cork bark.

---------- Post added 12-24-2014 at 05:13 PM ----------

and No this is my 19th T.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Thank you all for your help. I am having complications with regards to photos. But my enclosure is a critter keeper. Yes, not the ideal setup. My substrate is moist enough to squeeze into a clump yet dry enough that no water seeps out when i squeeze it. I have a corner dampened with a water dish no larger than the T's leg span (2"). i have cork bark setup in which i glued two pieces together to make a hide. i have it pitched at an incline to offer as much of an arboreal setup as possible. I also glued a strip of cork bark on to the side as well.I used reinforced tape to make a ventilation design that offers good, not excessive ventilation. All in all its climbing height is 6" from substrate to top of cork bark.
Hope you glued it with non toxic marine sealant.. but the setup sounds good enough.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
I dont like to leave anything to chance, I get very OCD with my T's lol.

---------- Post added 12-24-2014 at 05:16 PM ----------

I used hot glue

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
I keep my AF irminia on dry sub and overflow her dish a little more than my other tropical species. They'll spend most of their time near or on the ground. I have a few fake plants as web anchor points but she hasn't webbed yet. I might give her a round cork bark hide so she can make a burrow in it. Your set up sounds good though. Sounds like you have the ssme critter keeper i have mine in! Do you have moist sub all over and then a spot in the corner more damp or is it just damp in that corner?

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
I think the OP said they covered some of it to make sure there wasn't too much ventilation to where it is excessive.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
I have my critterr keeper covered on the top I carefully taped it from the inside of the lid, and on the sides of the lid i have the ventilation partially covered with tape so all in all I have the top covered, with 1 1/2 gaps that are open for ventilation. For some of my other T's I have used plastic to cover the top of the Lid. I've also done this set up a two years ago with my Lampropelma Violaceopes. For IHeartTs, my soil is dampened all around but not moist. I then have a corner moistened fairly where my water dish sits. I

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
I have my critterr keeper covered on the top I carefully taped it from the inside of the lid, and on the sides of the lid i have the ventilation partially covered with tape so all in all I have the top covered, with 1 1/2 gaps that are open for ventilation. For some of my other T's I have used plastic to cover the top of the Lid. I've also done this set up a two years ago with my Lampropelma Violaceopes. For IHeartTs, my soil is dampened all around but not moist. I then have a corner moistened fairly where my water dish sits. I
I'd keep it dry and just overflow the dish and a corner. That's just how I keep my girl. Preference I guess.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
Alright. My plan was to allow it to dry out, and go from there. Thanks for the advice I'll keep that in mind when the enclosure dries out.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
Not a great idea. It keeps that spot moist and encourages mites and mold. It's better to sprinkle water randomly in the cage.
I turn the sub over in the area and under the dish so it's not just sitting compacted. Haven't had mold or mites yet. But yeah I guess you're right, less work too. What's your opinion on springtails? I got a few new Ts which I later found were seeded with them. I might consider adding them to my more humid enclosures.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I turn the sub over in the area and under the dish so it's not just sitting compacted. Haven't had mold or mites yet. But yeah I guess you're right, less work too. What's your opinion on springtails? I got a few new Ts which I later found were seeded with them. I might consider adding them to my more humid enclosures.
Never needed springtails. I have spiders on moist substrate, Theraphosa, Ephebopus, and Hysterocrates, and don't have mite/mold issues. Part of that is due to cross ventilation.

Last edited:

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
Never needed springtails. I have spiders on moist substrate, Theraphosa and Hysterocrates and don't have mite/mold issues. Part of that is due to cross ventilation.
I don't have mold problems either I was just curious if they're THAT beneficial to clean up boluses, prevent mold etc. I mean since they're already in there.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I don't have mold problems either I was just curious if they're THAT beneficial to clean up boluses, prevent mold
As owners, we're the janitorial service; we should be cleaning up boluses and dead prey, and not hiring that job out to springtails. Whenever I feed and water, I use forceps to pick out boluses.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
As owners, we're the janitorial service; we should be cleaning up boluses and dead prey, and not hiring that job out to springtails. Whenever I feed and water, I use forceps to pick out boluses.
Thats what I was already doing. I was still on the fence about using them or having them continue their service. I would just prefer my Ts didn't hsve roommates but I read they were supposed to be beneficial. I'll have some unemployed springtails after the holiday.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thats what I was already doing. I was still on the fence about using them or having them continue their service. I would just prefer my Ts didn't hsve roommates but I read they were supposed to be beneficial. I'll have some unemployed springtails after the holiday.
Species like E. murinus who need excessive humidity in their tanks can have tropical isopods (Trichortina tormentosa if memory serves right) in the substrate to help with any issues that might arise. For an irminia - not necessary however.