Enclosure Maintenance During Premolt

Sana

Arachnoprince
I'm the proud keeper of a supremely fussy avic sp. "pet store". I refer to her as fussy, though more likely she's just more reclusive than my other T's. She has been in premolt for almost eight weeks, which isn't news with her, but the slightest disturbance near her enclosure seems to upset her and delay her molt. I discovered earlier this year that if I suspected she was going into premolt, the process seemed to go smoother and a little quicker if I wrapped a sheet around a portion of her enclosure, creating a more private retreat for her with a bit less light. It also prevents me from staring at her endlessly and being impatient. I have to move one edge of the sheet every few days to check her water (darn dry climate) and I noticed this evening when I peeked in at her water that she has managed to really create an arboreal poop mess on the sides. Will her being messy pose a health risk in the next couple weeks? If it may pose risks, how long do you think it can wait to be cleaned? I would really rather not disturb her unnecessarily but I will if it would be risky not to.

TarantulaGuy84

Arachnopeon
Her poop causing a health risk for herself, is that what you're asking? If so, there is no health risk. I have a few arboreals who poo all over the place and I almost can't even look through the glass to see them. If someone says there is a health risk then I'll say they are mistaken, I've had dirty poo glass for years and all mine are still kicking and biting.

Sana

Arachnoprince
That was definitely my concern. Thanks for the information. I'm going to leave her and her messy enclosure alone.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Wait till she molts and then clean it..I take a paper towel and fold it four times grab it with my 10 in tonges dip it into hot water and scrub away..you don't need to take out the t or anything..I also roll up another paper towel and place it on the sub next to the side im cleaning so the poo water doesn't roll down the glass and get into it..

Tarantulaguy84...your post made me throw up a little bit! Clean that poo glass Man!!!! Lol!

Sana

Arachnoprince
I don't remove any of my T's in order to clean glass. If they are in my way and a generally docile personality I will attempt to nudge them out of my way with tongs or other suitable length T moving device, but if they don't feel like moving or they are having an attitude day, I leave them alone and clean that spot later. My immediate issue has been solved as my darn avic had me fooled. She was hunting last night when I peeked in at her and cheerfully accepted a cricket, so I was incorrect about her being in premolt. Thanks for the information about mites, that was my exact concern with her enclosure needing to be cleaned. I have plans on doing maintenance in her enclosure today.