Colombian Pamphobeteus Information

Pitter

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I posted an image of what is probably either insignis or nigricolor (guessing it's the latter) on the photo ID page. There doesn't seem to be much information on either one of them on the net. Where can I find more detailed information including distribution in Colombia?

Sana

Arachnoprince
Best of luck with that. The most detailed information I've found on the genus and the differences between the species within is at this website.

http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2008/f/zt01826p058.pdf

I'm looking for the same information. This is my favorite genus and I am always trying to learn more about them. I'm going to enjoy following this thread. Hopefully someone out there has more information than I do.

kongekilde

Arachnosquire
U have P.cf. insignis or p. insignis (the true one) but the true one is werry rare and comes at werry hige price
Nigricolor sp u have the true P.nigricolor (werry rare) or sp. Nigricolor (comes in different forms) light/dark forms and the hobby forms
Witch have been breed in to the hobby over many generations and Are not a clean bloodline but generations off crosse breed :(
Now i havent seen the pic u have posted but i must say the chance for u having other than sp Nigricolor is slim and if u got true clean line on Any off
the 2 u have got your selv a rare awsome T

cold blood

Staff member
U have P.cf. insignis or p. insignis (the true one) but the true one is werry rare and comes at werry hige price ��
Nigricolor sp u have the true P.nigricolor (werry rare) or sp. Nigricolor (comes in different forms) light/dark forms and the hobby forms
Witch have been breed in to the hobby over many generations and Are not a clean bloodline but generations off crosse breed :(
Now i havent seen the pic u have posted but i must say the chance for u having other than sp Nigricolor is slim and if u got true clean line on
Op lives IN Columbia....I'd bet they aren't hobby t's. The chances of us having the real deal may be slim, but I bet its the opposite for him.

kongekilde

Arachnosquire
Yep i founde out when tjekking his profile ;)
Allso founde the pic that Was posted

Sana

Arachnoprince
I keep hoping that someone will offer a source of information on these guys. I heard a comment at one point however that this was a genus like Avicularia with many of the species poorly described and that it was likely to be a while before that changed.

Pitter

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes sorry guys I should have included in my post that I live in Colombia and my photos are of animals I've found on my property rather than leaving it to you to go to my profile. I've posted photos of two different individuals of male blue/black either P. insignis or P. nigricolor (???) and one photo of the light brown one which according to kongekilde may be from a different genus altogether. One thing I found curious in the little information I did come across is that the temperature recommendation for both species is like 75-80 degrees F. Here where I've found them the high temperature mid day is around 65F and much cooler at night. Thank you Sana for that link.

Sana

Arachnoprince
Would you be willing to share more about the area that you live in? It's hard to figure out the specifics for less described species. I was earlier today having a discussion regarding humidity specifically with another member and figured that now was a good time to ask. What is the average humidity where you live?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Best of luck with that. The most detailed information I've found on the genus and the differences between the species within is at this website.

http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2008/f/zt01826p058.pdf

I'm looking for the same information. This is my favorite genus and I am always trying to learn more about them. I'm going to enjoy following this thread. Hopefully someone out there has more information than I do.
You'll also like Phormictopus, very similar to Pamphobeteus, except they're Caribbean. Many adult females of the two genera are similar, and both have brightly colored adult males.

Sana

Arachnoprince
You'll also like Phormictopus, very similar to Pamphobeteus, except they're Caribbean. Many adult females of the two genera are similar, and both have brightly colored adult males.
As I've gotten more involved in the hobby, I've come across them and you're absolutely right. They are beautiful! Definitely a genus that has been added to my ever growing wish list.

kongekilde

Arachnosquire
I realy love to see the females off the sp u posted
But they Will be hader to finde than the males
As the males u founde was out looking for females witch ar hiding in there borrows ;)
I Hope to see and here mutch more from u Pitter :)

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I'd like to see a female of the male that wasn't a Pamphobeteus that you posted. And that other brown one as well, that I commented looked like Agnostopelma. Maybe some more habitat shots while your at it lol. Come on man, you're living in a dream world for most of us over there! Share some more stuff from your yard and neighborhood! ;)

Later, Tom

Pitter

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks guys for your interest and ID help. I live on what they call a "finca" (country property) here. My place and my two neighbor's places have essentially been cut out of cloud forest at 2100m located on the eastern slope of the western cordillera above the city of Cali in Valle de Cauca department. The humidity is very high, usually 90% or more. Daytime temperature is around 65 degrees and can get into the fifties at night. Logically the animals dwell in the surrounding forest but the few times I see them they are in open areas like my yard or sometimes just walking around the base of my house. This a website that is my "scrap book" collection of nature subjects I've photographed in Colombia. The majority were taken on or close to my property. I try to get things identified to genus and species wherever I can.

http://colombianature.smugmug.com/

Sana

Arachnoprince
Wow! I love your pictures! Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I dream about seeing places like this someday when I am in a place in my life to be able to travel. My pamphobeteus will certainly thank you as well for the information that will improve my ability to give it the most natural habitat possible.

Wadew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very nice, Thank you. You are blessed to live among such landscape! The Spectacle parrotlets are so cute.

-Wade

Pitter

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank you spider friends. I'll keep posting them as I find them.