so the inevitable happened today.

sezra

Arachnosquire
I've had my OBT for just over a year now, and he has been really docile. I've had the odd teleport escape when rehousing and cleaning, but never had a threat posture.

Anyway, I was doing some routine maintenance today and although I have NEVER let my guard down around him, I got quite the shock when this angry ball of orange venomous hate pounced at my tongs. Damn I knew he was quick, but when he wants something dead, he really puts in 100% lol.

Anyway, I composed myself and finished cleaning up after him, at which point he settled down and returned to his hide. just like a grumpy teenager. :p

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I've had my OBT for just over a year now, and he has been really docile. I've had the odd teleport escape when rehousing and cleaning, but never had a threat posture.

Anyway, I was doing some routine maintenance today and although I have NEVER let my guard down around him, I got quite the shock when this angry ball of orange venomous hate pounced at my tongs. Damn I knew he was quick, but when he wants something dead, he really puts in 100% lol.

Anyway, I composed myself and finished cleaning up after him, at which point he settled down and returned to his hide. just like a grumpy teenager. :p
+1 The earth tiger genus Ornithoctoninae is pretty mean also, But I do not have any right now.

Last edited:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
For the right people, yes. For thrill-seeker beginners, no. That could wind up getting tarantulas banned.
Its like newbs keeping naja naja because of the price,availability and machismo effect instead of starting with aspidelaps lubricus..quirks among species and individuals will appear, expected or not..the difference is measured in miles! Newer keepers need to gear down...psalmos are feisty and more forgiving of "compilations" caused by inexperience..

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
But in order to become a man I need an OBT, are you going to rob me of my manhood 14pokies?

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Its like newbs keeping naja naja because of the price,availability and machismo effect instead of starting with aspidelaps lubricus..quirks among species and individuals will appear, expected or not..the difference is measured in miles! Newer keepers need to gear down...psalmos are feisty and more forgiving of "compilations" caused by inexperience..
If they really want a terrestrial OW, starting with Ceratogyrus sp. is a good way to go, too. I should get more of those actually. They're pretty awesome tarantulas.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
But in order to become a man I need an OBT, are you going to rob me of my manhood 14pokies?
The road a boy walks to become a man is long and winding! Lol!

---------- Post added 12-26-2014 at 09:48 PM ----------

If they really want a terrestrial OW, starting with Ceratogyrus sp. is a good way to go, too. I should get more of those actually. They're pretty awesome tarantulas.
I have never worked with ceratogyrus but I have heard they are somewhat calm..my train of thought is this..if your going to keep defensive/aggressive somewhat unpredictable ts with a potent venom, start with a new world species that has all the characteristics of that species except the potent venom.
Its better to get hit by a nhandu or psalmo,or tappi than a haplo or baboon spider..fast defensive new worlds are the way to "train" for fast defensive old worlds in my opinion.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
One of the many reasons why I will never own one. I have been keeping T's for 3 years and realize a few years ago when I was close to getting one....I was stupid. I don't think I want that in my collection.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
go lift weights, obt don't make a man. A girl could keep one easily, with enough T experience.
Exactly. There's women with OBT's, Poecs, and Stromatopelma. I don't understand these guys who pound on their chests and grunt because they have an OBT.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
One of the many reasons why I will never own one. I have been keeping T's for 3 years and realize a few years ago when I was close to getting one....I was stupid. I don't think I want that in my collection.
There more trouble than their worth..I only take them in on rescue(not lps rescues,just overwhelmed keepers) I rehome them immediately to experienced keepers that I know personally.. I do wish there was a species that flaunts a similar orange paint job though...

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
There more trouble than their worth..I only take them in on rescue(not lps rescues,just overwhelmed keepers) I rehome them immediately to experienced keepers that I know personally.. I do wish there was a species that flaunts a similar orange paint job though...
+1 experienced keepers have no trouble with OBT ill take/adopt any extremely Mean angry Ts. As long as the owener pays the shipping or most of it :). I only got bitten by a Texas tan I pinched grabbed never by a OW. Get a fireleg, I have 3 but im allergic to the hairs.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Exactly. There's women with OBT's, Poecs, and Stromatopelma. I don't understand these guys who pound on their chests and grunt because they have an OBT.
There not grunting and pounding there chest from testosterone, There groaning and motioning shortness of breath from cramping after the bite! Lol!

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
I picked up an OBT years ago from a pet store and kept him until he matured and later passed away. I can't say that I'll ever rush out to own another one anytime soon. It was almost nerve wracking every time I ever had to do any sort of work in his enclosure or when it became feeding time. I was very new to the hobby as well.
On the upside, He was quite the webber and very cool to watch. Just not one for me.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
+1 experienced keepers have no trouble with OBT ill take/adopt any extremely Mean angry Ts. As long as the owener pays the shipping or most of it :). I only got bitten by a Texas tan I pinched grabbed never by a OW. Get a fireleg, I have 3 but im allergic to the hairs.
I have been bitten by a few ts,once because of ignorance and a few times from being a cowboy..I have gained respect for tarantulas as living creature since my younger days..they want to be left alone..its selfish of us keepers to not respect that..in my opinion,(I don't wish to start a handling debate)

---------- Post added 12-27-2014 at 12:11 AM ----------

Orphnaecus philippinus is orange.
Obts are almost metallic..thanks though!

---------- Post added 12-27-2014 at 12:14 AM ----------

This pretty much made my thoughts of not wanting an OBT...get set in stone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eeWGtHs-J8
Yaaaa...... That was fast!