My tarantulas live in a

assidreemz

Arachnosquire
My tarantulas live in a bathroom cabinet

I have been keeping my t's in my bathroom this winter and let me tell you...
It has been so much easier to keep temps consistent: 78 lows and highs of no more than 86.
My bathroom has it's own electric heater on the wall and a thermostat by my lightswitches, and I have a pretty nice digital thermometer with a wireless sensor device which I place inside my larger medicine cabinet oposite of the electric heat register. Then my tarantulas reside inside of that cabinet/vanity.
I have only read a few times of keepers doing this, and I was seeking advice or opinions...
I know to not use any air fresheners and I have been taking my t's out of the room when I do any cleaning of the bathroom.
I live by myself so there's very low to no foot traffic in that room specifically, and I only shower once a day for no more than ten minutes. Also I work minimum 9 hours a day but most days it's a 12 hr shift so I don't spend muh time at home as it is.
Any thoughts or experienced based advice?
Thanks in advance

EDIT: tried to change the title, looks like it already got taken down.... Oops... Sorry? :o_O:

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I am not sure to say humidity & heat would be good, You either have a tiny T collection or a Immense bathroom..:biggrin: Mine would not fit in my parents bathroom even with everything removed. Could you get a pic of your unusual set up??

I cannot find a job right now, mega depression sucked all the jobs that pay anything out of Ohio. If there are any I am not qualified. Good thing you found a job, good news!! :) An apartment wouldn't fit my Ts unless it was big, I need to buy a house its cheaper to buy than to rent here.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I used to house my emerald and amazon tree boas in my bathroom..it can get pretty humid in there! I guess it depends on what species of t..

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I used to house my emerald and amazon tree boas in my bathroom..it can get pretty humid in there! I guess it depends on what species of t..
+1 humidity benefit might work for pre-molt Ts. Sadly no one in my family would allow me to use bathroom as a T housing space. :(((

assidreemz

Arachnosquire
I have three tarantulas:
1" G. rosea
1 1/4" G. pulchripes
1/4" A. metallica
They are all slings, obviously.
I use my bathrooms exhaust fan and open my door during my >10 minute showers and run the fan for about 10 mins after. The temps never rise more than 3 degrees, but they drop 5-6 when the fan is on.
Also I close the vanity doors except when doing maintenance, which are sealed by cork cabinet stripping.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
My 8 yr old would ask what kind of tarantula lives in a 4 star hole! Lol!

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have been keeping my t's in my bathroom this winter and let me tell you...
I do not understand why you think most of this is important, much less necessary. Care to elaborate?

... It has been so much easier to keep temps consistent: 78 lows and highs of no more than 86. ...
Read Temperature.

... I know to not use any air fresheners ...
I don't know that air fresheners have ever caused any problems with tarantulas. Are you sure this is really a concern?

... and I have been taking my t's out of the room when I do any cleaning of the bathroom. ...
What are you using to clean your bathroom with? :eek:

... I live by myself so there's very low to no foot traffic in that room specifically, and I only shower once a day for no more than ten minutes. Also I work minimum 9 hours a day but most days it's a 12 hr shift so I don't spend muh time at home as it is. ...
I can't imagine why this might be a concern either, unless you thought you were in danger of disturbing the tarantula. If so, let me put your mind at ease. Read Stress? You Wanna Know About Stress?.

I would strongly urge you to go to the Spiders, Calgary website and start reading. At least scan through the entire website, picking out topics that catch your attention, but be sure to read the following webpages. (Even experienced aficionados can sometimes benefit from a little review.)

STAN'S NEWBIE INTRODUCTION. No! You start out with the RIGHT foot first.

STAN'S RANT. Read as many of the books mentioned here as you can find.

MYTH WEBTREE. How did we ever get into this mess?

CARE SHEETS: THE MOTHER OF ALL MYTHS. How to avoid both going crazy and killing your spider at the same time.

TEMPERATURE. You may suffer hot flashes or cold chills but your tarantula doesn't.

RELATIVE HUMIDITY. You've been lied to!

GROWING YOUR OWN. No, we're talking about tarantulas here, not the other "stuff."

SUBSTRATE. Getting to the bottom of it all.

ADDENDA AND ERRATA. Changes, additions and all the material that never made it into the printed version of TKG3.

CARE AND HUSBANDRY OF THE CHILEAN ROSE TARANTULA. The pièce de résistance for everybody who has a Grammostola rosea. This one is necessary only if you already have a Chilean rose or are getting a Chilean rose. Otherwise it may only be interesting reading to give you a broader data base. Also, remember that this webpage was written primarily for Northern Hemisphere enthusiasts. Keeping a Chilean rose in another Southern Hemisphere country should not pose any issues like the dreaded Hemisphere Shift.

The best news is that 90% of the questions you wanted to ask plus a lot, LOT more that you didn't think to ask are all laid out for you for ABSOLUTELY FREE if you read that website and take advantage of your friendly, neighborhood, public library! All you need do is read.

Best of luck. Hope this helps.

YOU NEED TO BE REPROGRAMMED! Yes, this is genuinely, sincerely, profoundly correct! While you may have developed some proficiency at the proper care of aquarium fish, lizards or snakes, parakeets, gerbils, and even the family dog (although there is some genuine question about who has who as a pet with this last one - see More Than Man's Best Friend), you need to set all those prejudices and practices aside, and start again with a clean slate.

-- /The Tarantula Keeper's Guide, Edition Four/, S. A. Schultz (In progress.)

telepatella

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I used to go to lengths to control heat but no more; in beautiful San Diego, the yearly temperature range is like 50's the low 100's - just saying what mine is - and I use no heating, the only thing I control is the humidity for my slings. I couldn't get Stan's links to open but, if you have The Tarantula Keeper's Guide (if you don't, get it) it'll tell you all you need to know about temps and Mike's Basic Tarantula website (both indispensable resources) tells you what temperatures these things come from. The basic idea is, if you're comfortable with the temperature, they are. They are just too easy to care for and we are not used to that, or, we're over-sold at the pet store... Enjoy!

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
...I couldn't get Stan's links to open ...
The University of Calgary's IT department (where all my webpages are hosted) has temporarily shut down most of their services for an end-of-the-year maintenance. They'll be back up and running Tuesday morning. Sorry for the inconvenience. Bookmark my links and try again next week.

Don't you just love it when things begin to fall together... Instead of always falling apart?

There is a great need for a sarcasm font.

assidreemz

Arachnosquire
I do not see why you think most of this is important, much less necessary. Care to elaborate?
Well, my thread was posed as a series of questions searching for thoughts and advice. And it was posted in the sub forum "Tarantula Chat". Therefore I don't know if you could classify any of it's content as "important" or, "necessary".

I don't know that air fresheners have ever caused any problems with tarantulas. Are you sure this is really a concern?
My concern for the use of products such as "Lysol disinfectant spray" and "Frebreeze air deodorizer" we're never sure things, hence the inquisitive format of my original post. But if you ask me, I don't think anything like Lysol should be around any arachnid due to the sheer amount of viruses and such it kills on contact.

What are you using to clean your bathroom with? :eek:
Um... Bleach. What do you use to clean your toilet and surrounding areas? Haha

I can't imagine why this might be a concern either, unless you thought you were in danger of disturbing the tarantula. If so, let me put your mind at ease. Read Stress? You Wanna Know About Stress?.
I mentioned this merely to show one of my reasons to contain my t's in a smaller environment. More controllable, and consistent then a larger room of my house. And as I keep stating I was only looking for thought and advice on keeping t's in a bathroom! Sheesh haha. And let me put your mind at ease, I have done an immense amount of reading and research on the species I keep and tarantulas in general. That reading includes all the links you posted and also the 3rd edition of the TKG.

My original post was not meant to be a discussion about proper temperature, or anything other than the fact that they are now kept in a bathroom, really. I may be a newb by experience but most definitely not by knowledge. I researched the species I have now for over a year before I began to look for a breeder or otherwise source for my pets. No need for your "NEWBIE ALARM" haha

Other than the strange questions you posed thank you for your interest in my topic.

Also, thanks for putting this tiny picture of a Brachypelma on the corner of the book so every time I see it my heart flutters because I think I have an escapee somehow haha!

image.jpg

:cool:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Well, my thread was posed as a series of questions searching for thoughts and advice. And it was posted in the sub forum "Tarantula Chat". Therefore I don't know if you could classify any of it's content as "important" or, "necessary".

My concern for the use of products such as "Lysol disinfectant spray" and "Frebreeze air deodorizer" we're never sure things, hence the inquisitive format of my original post. But if you ask me, I don't think anything like Lysol should be around any arachnid due to the sheer amount of viruses and such it kills on contact.

Um... Bleach. What do you use to clean your toilet and surrounding areas? Haha

I mentioned this merely to show one of my reasons to contain my t's in a smaller environment. More controllable, and consistent then a larger room of my house. And as I keep stating I was only looking for thought and advice on keeping t's in a bathroom! Sheesh haha. And let me put your mind at ease, I have done an immense amount of reading and research on the species I keep and tarantulas in general. That reading includes all the links you posted and also the 3rd edition of the TKG.

My original post was not meant to be a discussion about proper temperature, or anything other than the fact that they are now kept in a bathroom, really. I may be a newb by experience but most definitely not by knowledge. I researched the species I have now for over a year before I began to look for a breeder or otherwise source for my pets. No need for your "NEWBIE ALARM" haha

Other than the strange questions you posed thank you for your interest in my topic.

Also, thanks for putting this tiny picture of a Brachypelma on the corner of the book so every time I see it my heart flutters because I think I have an escapee somehow haha!

View attachment 133205

:cool:
Hahahahaha...wow!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've had some bad experiences with inverts and bleach, at least I 'think' it was bleach that killed some scorpions I had years ago so I'd be careful with that. I live by myself too and have 30+ Ts in a bathroom, they are all juv CB A. moderatum, I keep the door closed so it gets cool in the winter for them. It's that way in their natural habitat so, just thought I'd do it that way. It's pretty weird over here, it'd be embarrassing if I died right now haha.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, my thread was posed as a series of questions searching for thoughts and advice. And it was posted in the sub forum "Tarantula Chat". Therefore I don't know if you could classify any of it's content as "important" or, "necessary". ...
No, no, no! You're misinterpreting my questions and motives. I'm not criticizing your questions, I'm trying to figure out why you're doing, or proposing to do, what you describe? What your reasons or motives are in the first place. Is it an experimental arrangement? Are you blindly following someone else's instructions? Are you merely overreacting to something you read someplace? How well do you know tarantulas? (And no, I'm not asking you these questions now, and I don't expect answers to them. I'm offering them only as examples of what I was trying to find out in my original post.) The problem is that your questions and circumstances are a bit unusual, not easily answered by the normal, stock, trite answers we often give to newbies.

... My concern for the use of products such as "Lysol disinfectant spray" and "Frebreeze air deodorizer" we're never sure things, hence the inquisitive format of my original post. But if you ask me, I don't think anything like Lysol should be around any arachnid due to the sheer amount of viruses and such it kills on contact. ...
Now I understand! Sorry. In answer to your implied question, "Will chemicals like Lysol, Febreeze or chlorine harm my tarantula," as with humans, it's a dose dependent sort of thing. If you spray the place up like you were fighting Ebola, yes, they will harm your tarantulas. But, few of us use these chemicals so intensely. And, the bathroom door is usually open unless the place is in use, thus allowing for significant airing out before the tarantulas might suffer any harm.

... Um... Bleach. What do you use to clean your toilet and surrounding areas? Haha ...
CLR. Because motorhomes are constantly on the move and refilling their freshwater holding tanks with water of variable qualities, lime buildup is a significant problem throughout the plumbing system. CLR is acidic (as opposed to chlorine bleach which is very alkaline), and not only removes the lime encrustation but also acts as a strong disinfectant.

WEN-Site01-010.jpg

Now you ask, "Why is he going through all that explanation?" It's an example of how we sometimes make incorrect assumptions before checking the facts. That's what I was trying to do in my original post; and of course I failed miserably.

... I mentioned this merely to show one of my reasons to contain my t's in a smaller environment. More controllable, and consistent then a larger room of my house. ...
In a very general sort of way, larger rooms are usually more environmentally stable than smaller ones. For instance, the thermal mass of the air in a larger room will change temperature slower than in a small, confined space. Unless of course, there are lots of windows or doors that are often opened or left open for instance. We can't help you very much with that assessment.

... And let me put your mind at ease, I have done an immense amount of reading and research on the species I keep and tarantulas in general. That reading includes all the links you posted and also the 3rd edition of the TKG. ...
Had you stated that it would have saved me a lot of typing. Don't panic! I'll survive! :biggrin:

... My original post was not meant to be a discussion about proper temperature, ...
Just trying to be helpful, to make sure you understand what tarantulas are really like, not what 90% of the care sheets tell you. I just went back and read your original posting, and it still sounds like you're doing a lot of worrying and fussing over some basically very resilient and sturdy creatures. And, I'm worrying that in your attempts to fine tune or micromanage their environment you're going to do some thing that'll kill them.

... or anything other than the fact that they are now kept in a bathroom, really. ...
Oh, well. Keep them in the bathroom then. No problem. They'll do just fine as long as you don't do anything to kill them.

... I may be a newb by experience but most definitely not by knowledge. I researched the species I have now for over a year before I began to look for a breeder or otherwise source for my pets. No need for your "NEWBIE ALARM" haha ...
Had you given us some hint of the level of your expertise in the first place I probably wouldn't have bothered. No offense intended. I just wanted to help.

... Other than the strange questions you posed thank you for your interest in my topic. ...
We aims to please. Really!

... Also, thanks for putting this tiny picture of a Brachypelma on the corner of the book so every time I see it my heart flutters because I think I have an escapee somehow haha! ...
Sorry. I can't accept the credit for that one. The publisher's design team had complete control over the appearance of the cover. I wasn't even consulted. The publisher also inserted a bunch of full page photos (the ones without captions) from a stock photo company throughout the text even though I supplied full sized copies of every other photo in the book with captions precisely for that purpose. Sometimes politics and the bureaucracy override common sense.

Question: What's worse than finding a poisonous spider in your tent?

Answer: Losing a poisonous spider in your tent!

assidreemz

Arachnosquire
All good bub!
I'm actually psyched you commented on this thread, it's my first one you've done so with. Haha!
I feel honored.