OBTs

annanlove19

Arachnosquire
Is it crazy to get an OBT sling/juvie as my third t? I'm still new to the hobby (I got my first t. about a month and a half ago, and my second maybe two weeks ago) and I swore I'd never get any baboon at all, let alone an OBT, but the more I look at them, the more adorable they are. I know they're hardy and easy to take care of, at least from what I've read, but I also know they're super fast and bitey (obviously :p). My current t.s are b. albo and a g. pulchra, both of whom are totally chill and don't really gaf about people, which is the exact opposite of OBTs. On the other hand, OBTs are orange fuzzbutts and I want them. I feel like I'm capable, but I also don't actually know what I'm talking about probably? Any advice/suggestions/opinions?

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Please don't..not yet..search the forums on this species, and the bite reports.

annanlove19

Arachnosquire
Thanks guys! I obsessively research, but it's always best to ask outright to people who know what they're talking about. I've been waffling over my next t anyway, so I'll probably go with a b. smithi, if I can find one that isn't too expensive. I felt so silly being stuck between super aggressive and easy beginner, so thanks for talking some sense into me :p

annanlove19

Arachnosquire
Oh holy wow that's fast :eek: Definitely going to add YouTube to my must check resources list.

Methal

Arachnosquire
lol you can see the smoke coming off that OBTs feet =) that guy was peeling out like a dragster!

but if you want to get one, keep in mind youre probably going to get bit. of my 10 T's 2 are OBTs. I've been bit by the calmest spider in my collection. The OBT no threat no nothing but slow movements then BAM! flew up the tongs and nabbed my hand before I could blink.

annanlove19

Arachnosquire
Wait seriously? I got a b. albo as my first because they're docile and slow and hard to kill. That's what I'm most afraid of, tbh. I can live through a bite, but being responsible for another creature's death terrifies me. That's what made me think an OBT might not be insane, because I hear they are hardy, but I am definitely definitely definitely waiting. Right now I'm torn between a b. smithi or an a. geniculata; I have to go get more crickets tomorrow anyway, so I'll see what my local shop has.

But Christ. An OBT as a first tarantula. That'll put you off Ts forever >.>

And to all of you, thanks so much for being upfront and honest while not being jerks about it. I think I really just needed experienced arachnophiles to tell me what I already knew: no, no no no, no no no no no no no, no no, no. Thanks for being definite and nice :)

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Wait seriously? I got a b. albo as my first because they're docile and slow and hard to kill. That's what I'm most afraid of, tbh. I can live through a bite, but being responsible for another creature's death terrifies me. That's what made me think an OBT might not be insane, because I hear they are hardy, but I am definitely definitely definitely waiting. Right now I'm torn between a b. smithi or an a. geniculata; I have to go get more crickets tomorrow anyway, so I'll see what my local shop has.

But Christ. An OBT as a first tarantula. That'll put you off Ts forever >.>

And to all of you, thanks so much for being upfront and honest while not being jerks about it. I think I really just needed experienced arachnophiles to tell me what I already knew: no, no no no, no no no no no no no, no no, no. Thanks for being definite and nice :)
obt ARE hardy. ever hear the joke they can live on a sub of broken glass. and no water dish.. lol

id say get a genic. super hardy love to eat and get nice size :)

also i do know some old keepers who still keep naja and other herps who had obts and poecs as first T's the first bolt or bite made them rehome it and never come back to arachnids :\

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think a good inbetween that is common for people is Chromatopelma cyanopubescens. They are just as hardy, but not as speedy or potent/aggressive. They require similar care and are downright beautiful. They are pretty skittish but not like the OBT.

Best of luck on your acquisition!

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Of course if you go out of your way to incite them to riot or run for the hills, they will generally accommodate. I never poke nor prod at mine, nor do I allow that much opening to invite escape. Other than a brief foot race when unpacking my first obt sling, I've never had any problems, not even a threat pose from any of mine. I still wouldn't recommend one for a novice keeper.

Nicolas C

Arachnosquire
Other than a brief foot race when unpacking my first obt sling, I've never had any problems, not even a threat pose from any of mine. I still wouldn't recommend one for a novice keeper.
Exactly the same for me: run race when unpacking / not threat pose since / wouldn't be my choice for a first tarantula (but they do are so beautiful!).

annanlove19

Arachnosquire
I ended up with an a. genic sling!! She's my first sling and I'm a little terrified because I know they're more prone to bad molts and death, but I'm trying to stay positive and believe in her. All Ts start off as slings and clearly they aren't all dead; that's my mantra.

(calling her a she is kind of silly because she's wayyyyy too young to be sexed, but I hate it, so she it is)

Currently her name is Katie, but I'll change it to Leung if it turns out she's male. And yes, all my Ts are named after HP actors, what of it? :p

katie welcome home.jpg

That's her!! She ate two crickets today, I'm so excited to watch her grow :love:

cold blood

Staff member
Put it in a deli cup. Vials don't offer good ventilation long term and can't offer any cross ventilation at all....plus its too big for that vial anyway. And IMO there's really no reason to feed a sling multiple items at once, wait till it gets big for that.

A deli cup will allow you to offer it more sub, a small hide and a little water dish. With as aggressive of eaters as they are...and as fast as they grow, it will do well with a little more room.

Nice species, you'll love it!

annanlove19

Arachnosquire
It was actually feeding day at the shop, so I wasn't the one in charge of her food, but I'll keep that in mind! They also threw in a bigger vial, like significantly bigger, so I can move her over as soon as I have more substrate. I'm gonna go to a garden shop and pick up some top soil because cheap = a+.

Thanks oodles for the help! Any sling advice is good sling advice :D

cold blood

Staff member
It was actually feeding day at the shop, so I wasn't the one in charge of her food, but I'll keep that in mind! They also threw in a bigger vial, like significantly bigger, so I can move her over as soon as I have more substrate. I'm gonna go to a garden shop and pick up some top soil because cheap = a+.

Thanks oodles for the help! Any sling advice is good sling advice :D
I'd still suggest not using a vial, even if its bigger. You can get a 16oz. deli cup at any store for 10 cents or even free and is a much better alternative. Same for the soil, just cause its cheap, doesn't mean you're setting up a ghetto enclosure...soil makes EXCELLENT sub for t's, I'm making the switch myself as I find its looks as well as burrowing and water holding properties to be superior or at least equal to much more expensive commonly used substrates.

Just make sure you buy the really cheap stuff without additives. No pesticides, fertilizers (even organic, which often means manure of sorts).