Haplopelma minax

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I recently saw that it's moved to a different genus and even given a different name? Can anybody shed some light onto this matter? Is it true that H. minax is now Ornithoctonus aureotibialis?

advan

oOOo
Staff member
I recently saw that it's moved to a different genus and even given a different name? Can anybody shed some light onto this matter? Is it true that H. minax is now Ornithoctonus aureotibialis?
No, they are two different species in different genera.

Quote from: New insights into the bird spiders – Subfamily Ornithoctoninae, with description of Ornithoctonus aureotibialis sp. n. and Haplopelma longipes sp. n. (Araneae, Theraphosidae) VOLKER VON WIRTH & BORIS F. STRIFFLER 2005
Ornithoctonus is (distinguished)
- from the Haplopelma minax – species group (see VON WIRTH 1991b) (Haplopelma
SIMON 1892) distinguished by the following features:
- Not more than 6 spines on metatarsus IV Leg
- Less than 12 distinct spines on the prolateral palpal coxa below the suture (compared
with Haplopelma albostriatum 8 - 11 spines) (Fig. 3, 9)
- bulb of male with a distinct notch ventrally on the transition to the embolus (Fig. 13, 14)
- On the tibia of leg I of the males anterior / apical / retrolateral and prolateral no
significant spike present (Fig. 16)
- Receptacles with distinct notch in the middle (Fig. 4, 10)
- Distinguished from the Haplopelma schmidti - species group (see VON WIRTH 1991b)
(Haplopelma SIMON 1892) by the following features:- No brush of long white hair above the Scopula on the retrolateral chelicerae
- Less than 12 distinct spines on the prolateral palpal coxa below the suture (Fig. 3, 9)
- bulb of male ventrally with a distinct notch on the transition to the embolus (Fig. 13, 14)
- On the tibia of leg I of the males anterior / apical / retrolateral and prolateral no
significant spike present (Fig. 16)

Last edited:

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
From when is that information? I'm really not into all that taxonomy stuff LOL

PS: Oh, my bad, I guess I flew through the paper that I had read and seems like I hadn't payed much attention. It says that in the past, before Ornithoctonus aureotibialis' description, it was thought to be H. minax.

Last edited:

advan

oOOo
Staff member
From when is that information? I'm really not into all that taxonomy stuff LOL

PS: Oh, my bad, I guess I flew through the paper that I had read and seems like I hadn't payed much attention. It says that in the past, before Ornithoctonus aureotibialis' description, it was thought to be H. minax.
From the same paper:
Ornithoctonus aureotibialis sp. n., is long time known in pet trade as Haplopelma sp. “aureopilosum”. It was recently described by SCHMIDT & SAMM 2005 as “Haplopelma chrysothrix”, a name, which is not available according to the ICZN, as no type depository was included in the description.