What do you guys do when you're anticipating new additions?

MythicQuasar

Arachnopeon
I personally just constantly browse prices on my favourite place, Tarantula Canada, now if only the shipped enclosures haha! I got a nice wad of Christmas cash because my family likes that I have a hobby now! I currently have six specimens, a G. rosea 3.5", 2 P. Cambridgei 1/2", a half inch B. Verdezi, B. Vagans and a half inch LP :)

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congrats on the additions!

I usually just make sure I have the enclosures set up properly and the appropriate amount of airholes drilled. I also browse pictures of adults of tje species I'm getting even though I know I'm just getting a sling!

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
I personally just constantly browse prices on my favourite place, Tarantula Canada, now if only the shipped enclosures haha! I got a nice wad of Christmas cash because my family likes that I have a hobby now! I currently have six specimens, a G. rosea 3.5", 2 P. Cambridgei 1/2", a half inch B. Verdezi, B. Vagans and a half inch LP :)
With any species I go online ASAP and get an understanding of the natural habitats and eating habits the T's have such as wheather conditions, humidity habitats whether it be arboreal or terrestrial, obligate burrowers or opportunistic burrowers etc.. From there I set up enclosures appropriately. Make sure you don't have excessive ventilation, and always include water dishes for your T's. Perhaps you knew these things already. But replicating the conditions to a certain extent is what I do. Temperature conditions I keep consistently for all species between 70--80, but humidity i keep controlled per enclosure. I've got a 1" LP, awesome little species! Little for now that is lol.

---------- Post added 12-28-2014 at 05:06 PM ----------

If you dont have it look into the Tarantula Keepers Guide as well!

Sana

Arachnoprince
With any species I go online ASAP and get an understanding of the natural habitats and eating habits the T's have such as wheather conditions, humidity habitats whether it be arboreal or terrestrial, obligate burrowers or opportunistic burrowers etc.. From there I set up enclosures appropriately. Make sure you don't have excessive ventilation, and always include water dishes for your T's. Perhaps you knew these things already. But replicating the conditions to a certain extent is what I do. Temperature conditions I keep consistently for all species between 70--80, but humidity i keep controlled per enclosure. I've got a 1" LP, awesome little species! Little for now that is lol.

---------- Post added 12-28-2014 at 05:06 PM ----------

If you dont have it look into the Tarantula Keepers Guide as well!
When I'm awaiting a T I've already done all of the research before making a decision, so I put my excited energy into preparing enclosures and having everything ready to go.

cold blood

Staff member
When I'm anticipating new additions I a) ready enclosures, more than I think I need and a few larger and smaller than I believe I need, just to be prepared for a surprise in the sizes of the incoming spiders. And b) I wait for their arrival.

Research is done well before I choose the animal.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
maybe i understand anticipate :p because i set up enclosures when i decide on what im getting.. and when im waiting/anticipating.. i peek out the front blinds at every little sound i hear ;)

however when im LOOKING to add to my colection. i decide what on my list i want, take a look at whats available. and try to get as many from one of my favorite breeders as possible :p as iv already looked into the sp i like and desire long before putting them on my plausible list ;)

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
When I'm anticipating new additions I a) ready enclosures, more than I think I need and a few larger and smaller than I believe I need, just to be prepared for a surprise in the sizes of the incoming spiders. And b) I wait for their arrival.

I couldn't agree more with having larger and smaller cage sizes available to prepare for an oversized/undersized T. I once ordered a 1.5" sling only to receive a 3.5" sub adult. Loved the upgrade, but had nothing ready for a T this size.

And doing the research BEFORE buying a new T is another one. I'm amazed at how many folks post things like "I just ordered xxxxx, but I have no idea how to care for it. Anyone keep these?". The responsible thing to do is look up care and talk to people who keep it before you hit the buy button.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I couldn't agree more with having larger and smaller cage sizes available to prepare for an oversized/undersized T. I once ordered a 1.5" sling only to receive a 3.5" sub adult. Loved the upgrade, but had nothing ready for a T this size.

And doing the research BEFORE buying a new T is another one. I'm amazed at how many folks post things like "I just ordered xxxxx, but I have no idea how to care for it. Anyone keep these?". The responsible thing to do is look up care and talk to people who keep it before you hit the buy button.
Hah try expecting a 3-4" T and getting a 1/3.. nothing like having a 5.5 ready and waiting and the 8-32oz cup your looking for.. ends up being a prob 10dram vial... wasnt happy.. i like mine in bigger enclosures so after this insodent i keep 3 sizes on hand for ALL arivals.. 32oz being smallest cup and rest totes ready.. always 5+ shoebox totes with dry sub for no reason xD JUST incase

But agree on last part to ugh makes me mad.. only in exotics do you see this iv never heard somebody say online "hey i just bought a bull mastiff today he was so cute and small. Will he stay this size orget bigger? What should i feed him? Can i take him to the park?"

Sana

Arachnoprince
I'm shortly going to be receiving my first shipped T, and it hadn't occurred to me that I might need to be prepared for the size to be different than I believe it to be. Thanks for sharing that. I'm also overjoyed to have something else to do while I wait on the frigid weather here to clear up so my new friend can be shipped.

Mariner1

Arachnosquire
I do the normal prep for a new T. Try to find out as much as i can about it and the all the care sheets out there. Then I make an enclosure which most likely will be a deli cup because I always buy slings to watch them grow. The one thing that I look forward to most is the first feeding. I love to see that first feeding reaction. Does it take 'em down nice and gentle or is it a beast?

cold blood

Staff member
care sheets

Care sheets aren't always the best place for your info. They are often riddled with inconsistencies and misinformation. We see people getting into trouble regularly that relied too heavily on them. I literally NEVER look at care sheets and wouldn't ever recommend relying on them for any species.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
Care sheets aren't always the best place for your info. They are often riddled with inconsistencies and misinformation. We see people getting into trouble regularly that relied too heavily on them. I literally NEVER look at care sheets and wouldn't ever recommend relying on them for any species.
I would have to agree with this. Precisely why I search on the actual areas and habitats that the specific species are native to and develop enclosures based on that.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
So very true i remember back im the day when i got my first lizards printing off every care sheet for my geckos and beardies.. till i realized 3 dif sheets that gave lil extra info then the last, was all saying dif temps and humidities... it used to seem like a science experiment.. now.. i just look up habitats and see how others keep them and put my own twist to it (due to where i live) and test out on empty container before getting an occupant :D

Sana

Arachnoprince
I have a tendency to read a care sheet and then compare what I find to other sources and recommendations from people who have them. Sometimes I find that the care sheet had at least one piece of valuable information, but just as often I find them hopelessly inaccurate. I like to do some research both here and from other other sources, then bring the information I have come up with here and ask experienced keepers for their opinions on what I have found. I hope that this will show experienced members that I am serious about the topic and not expecting them to do the work for me.

sandybanjo

Arachnopeon
I get the new enclosures ready, but I have several on hand, just in case. It takes about ten minutes to set one up, except for the large arboreals. I have a Nhandu chromatus juvi that will get a larger enclosure when the substrate drys a bit. I received this little guy a couple of weeks ago, but in the process of removing him from the vile, I nicked one of his legs that bled a little. I thought it best to leave him in his 4X4X4 box until he healed. He's fine, so.....

The anticipation of a new T drives me crazy, but it's fun! I have two more coming after the first of the year (sounds like a long time, huh!). I'm on the computer several times a day tracking the shipments.

Hopeful T Owner

Arachnopeon
I always do about 2 months research (both online and books) before I even think about getting the animal (whether it's a new T or something like a hamster). Even if I have cared for the same type of animal beforehand, I still do the research, even if it's just to refresh my memory on things. I then spend quite a while choosing the right tank, water bowl etc. and then spend about a week setting it up and making sure all is well before I even think about getting the animal.

When I ordered Mystery, it was the first time I had ever ordered a live animal online...so I pretty much had no sleep from when I sent off the order until the few days later when Mystery came lol. I then spent about 24 hrs just watching Mystery in it's tank until I finally crashed out lol.

Hoping to be a little more relaxed, but definitely excited and prepared for when I get my next T in 2015....going to start deciding which one I want and start researching it now lol.

Julz xx

sandybanjo

Arachnopeon
:photogenic:Adding from my above post: As far as care sheets go, I have a whole big folder full of care sheets. What I've found is that terrestrials have quite similar care requirements as do arboreals. I don't look at each specimen any more to see what they need. I prepare the enclosures for each similarly and have plenty of food they'll eat. So, I don't fuss too much over each specimen's requirements like I did when I was brand new at collecting T's. Today, an A. velutina is arriving, about 1", I believe. Size is the only concern and that's already been addressed. I do look up the specimen and try to learn their natural habitat, from where they are found (country), and I'm learning the scientific names for each one. That's a lot of fun!

awiec

Arachnoprince

Pretty much my method. I have a little check list that I generally follow:

1) Do I have Room and Budget for A new T (I legitimately do this step)
2) Does The T add something to my collection?
3) Do I have the skill to give the animal the best care possible?
4) Where can I get it and is it safe to have it shipped?
5) I generally read where they are from and general accounts people have with them
6) Make sure I have containers of various sizes with a proper set up
7) Order the T and hope the unpacking goes well

sandybanjo

Arachnopeon
:photogenic:Adding from my above post: As far as care sheets go, I have a whole big folder full of care sheets. What I've found is that terrestrials have quite similar care requirements as do arboreals. I don't look at each specimen any more to see what they need. I prepare the enclosures for each similarly and have plenty of food they'll eat. So, I don't fuss too much over each specimen's requirements like I did when I was brand new at collecting T's. Today, an A. velutina is arriving, about 1", I believe. Size is the only concern and that's already been addressed. I do look up the specimen and try to learn their natural habitat, from where they are found (country), and I'm learning the scientific names for each one. That's a lot of fun!
Velvet.jpg

Here's a pic of "Velvet", A. velutin I received about 20 minutes ago. Note the larger enclosure in the background "just in case".

JZC

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pace around excitedly wondering why its taking an entire night for an overnight shipment to arrive.