First arboreal?

annanlove19

Arachnosquire
Due to money and space and weather constraints I'm not doing an immediate acquisition, but who doesn't love planning their next T, yeah? Right now I've got three terrestrials (b. alpbo, g. pulchra, a. genic), and I'm thinking my next might be an arboreal? I know I want a smithi but my local shop doesn't have ones that are small enough that they won't bankrupt me, so I'm planning on doing an online order, which really opens up possible species. And, y'know, severely limits time because it's winter in New England. But I was thinking an a. avic, perchance? Does that sound reasonable? Any other suggestions?

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
well i have 5 arboreals now.. 2 P. cambs 2 P. irminias and an A. versi.. honestly id say if your confidant enought for an avic go for it. if you are okay with lightning speed a P. camb is awesome to have. but id say start care wize psalms seem easier.. but speed wise and your skill level avic would be better up to you tho.. all my T's are calm but i decided to jump the gun for a P, camb when my only other arboreal was an a.avic [who wasnt exactly hard to care for nor active] both are fun.. from what im told versis are more fragile as slings. so maybe a a.avic or another first? :p

Last edited:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Cheers to my hometown! Avics can be sensitive when small but are much hardier at the 1 1/2 to 2inch mark so aim for larger specimens for your first one. Search the forums on here for a while before you buy one..most of the care sheets and general accepted info on them is useless..
Psalmopoeus sp. Are bullet proof and easy to care for compared to avics for most keepers but are pretty defensive..if you consider them dig through the forums first.
I would suggest avics if you do your homework!

---------- Post added 12-28-2014 at 11:53 PM ----------

well i have 5 arboreals now.. 2 P. cambs 2 P. irminias and a a. versi.. honestly id say if your confidant enought for an avic go for it. if you are okay with lightning speed a p. camb is awesome to have. but id say start care wize psalms seem easier.. but speed wise and your skill level avic would be better up to you tho.. all my T's are calm but i decided to jump the gun for a P, camb when my only other arboreal was an a.avic [who wasnt exactly hard to care for nor active] both are fun.. from what im told versis are more fragile as slings. so maybe a a.avic or another first? :p
Great minds think alike! Look at the time we posted on the same species! Lol!

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The user has an A. geniculata, I don't think a psalmo would be an issue.
In my opinion, get whatever you like. A. Purpurea is nice looking IMO.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Cheers to my hometown! Avics can be sensitive when small but are much hardier at the 1 1/2 to 2inch mark so aim for larger specimens for your first one. Search the forums on here for a while before you buy one..most of the care sheets and general accepted info on them is useless..
Psalmopoeus sp. Are bullet proof and easy to care for compared to avics for most keepers but are pretty defensive..if you consider them dig through the forums first.
I would suggest avics if you do your homework!

---------- Post added 12-28-2014 at 11:53 PM ----------

Great minds think alike! Look at the time we posted on the same species! Lol!
bahaha i was thinking about giving a aprox size but with only having avics grow to 1" i wasnt gona put my foot in my mouth. but what you said. was more or less what i was thinking "psalms- the Kevlar of arboreals" XD

---------- Post added 12-29-2014 at 01:02 AM ----------

The user has an A. geniculata, I don't think a psalmo would be an issue.
In my opinion, get whatever you like. A. Purpurea is nice looking IMO.
well i woudlnt say all that my genic is super chill. to where my first psalm was a bit of a racecar. none of mine are defensive tho but i believe your right shoudlnt be an issue

Last edited:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
In my experience genics are more threat than anything,they throw their legs up but usually don't show any fang and when prodded further go straight into the catch cup. My psalmos are all pretty chill but the defensive ones I have seen are legs and fang..there fast and agile ,when the mean business you better put your game face on..

annanlove19

Arachnosquire
My genic has only been with me for a few days and is a 1/2" sling, so I wouldn't by any means say I'm experienced with them. S/he is a little cutie though and had no objections to being rehomed! I can't wait for her to grow up :D But again, this is for future reference, like maybe the March expo, so I've got some time to learn. Not that the genic will be much bigger by then, but y'know xD

I'll look around for avic info! I'm a little scared about the faster species, they make me nervous, and of course the key is to not act nervous, sooo. I dunno. But I'll check them all out!!

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
In my experience genics are more threat than anything,they throw their legs up but usually don't show any fang and when prodded further go straight into the catch cup. My psalmos are all pretty chill but the defensive ones I have seen are legs and fang..there fast and agile ,when the mean business you better put your game face on..
i only have 0.1 A. genic. shes a doll no threat display. only time her legs been in the hair iswhen i lifted it once with brush so i couold grab her molt which whe was half laying on backwards XD but i do think psalm would be a great jump for the OP so long as they are fine with fast or slightly skittish T's XD

---------- Post added 12-29-2014 at 02:31 AM ----------

My genic has only been with me for a few days and is a 1/2" sling, so I wouldn't by any means say I'm experienced with them. S/he is a little cutie though and had no objections to being rehomed! I can't wait for her to grow up :D But again, this is for future reference, like maybe the March expo, so I've got some time to learn. Not that the genic will be much bigger by then, but y'know xD

I'll look around for avic info! I'm a little scared about the faster species, they make me nervous, and of course the key is to not act nervous, sooo. I dunno. But I'll check them all out!!
good point.. i was honestly nervous to jump into them but kinda loved the orange lightning bolts [tehe too cute] but iv only seen a bolt twice never out of the cage tho.just respect the T im sure youl be fine.

cold blood

Staff member
I'll look around for avic info! I'm a little scared about the faster species, they make me nervous
All, and I repeat ALL arboreals are faster species. I'd seriously just stick to terrestrials until your others, especially that genic, grows and developes its attitude/personality. B. smithi is a good choice, but if you want something to prepare you better for the speed factor, maybe a GBB or C. fasciatum would be better choices.

I really don't think Psalmopoeus genus should be considered yet, I'd even say give it a bit for an Avic as well, but if you choose that route, get a sub-adult.

Martin1975

Arachnoknight
Hello
Avicularia is a great choice,especially a versi. The Avicularia to watch for is a laeta,not venomous compared to other genera but attitude that rivals any and I mean any other T. I think they have an identity issue,and will threat pose attack etc.

Also mentioned,Avicularia Purpurea a plus with these huge appetite to even rival a versi. Avicularia Avicularia one of the hardiest Avics available,might be an easy avic to get,but even so still a must in a collection. Beautiful Avic specimens,Purpurea Bicegoi and even diversipes,could actually add Sp. Peru Purple which I think is actually just an urticans.

No matter the choice,many avics to choose from. When it comes to care,follow what most will say even though I have approached it differently and maybe just luck and I am not willing to share due to that. I do not want to start a lengthy debate again,most importantly ventilation and water supply don't worry they can not drown they swim in the wild to cross certain areas. So in the end,have fun hope you find the right fit tarantula.

Added:
I forgot to mention,irodopelma gets overlooked as well. These are very very similar to Avicularia,and some Avicularia will probably join the genus soon due to reclassification.

Last edited:

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Avicularia diversipes is also an Avic to avoid if you're a beginner.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Avicularia diversipes is also an Avic to avoid if you're a beginner.
Bad temper? I haven't worked with them..not that temperment matters much to me..
Do they have a green sheen to there abdomen? Someone is trying to sell me one but from the pic and price I'm thinking its avic sp,petstore..probably a.avic...it has no shine on its b hind! Lol.

miserykills

Arachnosquire
My first arboreal was a psalmopoeus cambridgei and everything is going great but the rehousing the most recent time was a little tough. maybe try an avic but i dont have experience with that. my smithi is probably my favorite t though so personally id go for that even though its not arboreal.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
All, and I repeat ALL arboreals are faster species. I'd seriously just stick to terrestrials until your others, especially that genic, grows and developes its attitude/personality. B. smithi is a good choice, but if you want something to prepare you better for the speed factor, maybe a GBB or C. fasciatum would be better choices.

I really don't think Psalmopoeus genus should be considered yet, I'd even say give it a bit for an Avic as well, but if you choose that route, get a sub-adult.

+1. Avics get recommended because most aren't as defensive as the other arboreals, and they tend to run in short spurts rather than longer dashes, but they're still not a good choice for beginners. Many newbies have lost them; they have a narrower range of acceptable conditions and slings are especially delicate. You don't want to add to the 'My Dead Avic' threads here. It's in your best interests, and the best interests of the spider, for you to get more experience and develop a feel for tarantula husbandry with terrestrials before you take on the challenges of arboreals. I know you're enthusiastic now, but there's no rush. Learn the basics and take it in stages.

Some people will encourage you to hurry and get species that are beyond your skill level, but what's the point? Why increase the odds of winding up with a dead spider, an escape, or one you're afraid of?

Last edited:

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Bad temper? I haven't worked with them..not that temperment matters much to me..
Do they have a green sheen to there abdomen? Someone is trying to sell me one but from the pic and price I'm thinking its avic sp,petstore..probably a.avic...it has no shine on its b hind! Lol.
Yes, they may be quite defensive.

Green sheen? Are you talking about a sling, juvie, or adult? They are a palette of changing colors(green,yellow,red,blue,purple)....and what happens at the end when you mix all those colors on your palette together? You get brown. ;/

tony119

Arachnopeon
My first arboreal was a P.metallica. Though, I will not suggest it if you're new to the hobby.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

They don't have the nicest of dispositions. Re what you are looking at, w/out knowing the size impossible to help you, except that when young, diversipes have truly wonderful multicolored iridescence that outshines any Avic.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Yes, they may be quite defensive.

Green sheen? Are you talking about a sling, juvie, or adult? They are a palette of changing colors(green,yellow,red,blue,purple)....and what happens at the end when you mix all those colors on your palette together? You get brown. ;/
Its about 31/2-4 inches, I have seen pics and video of a few in that size range that have a greenish tinge on its butt..this one has a black,bordered by red hair opithstoma..looks like a.avic to me..the larger specimens of diversipes do look kind of brown,sort of like laeta! There amazing when there young though!

---------- Post added 12-30-2014 at 12:57 AM ----------

They don't have the nicest of dispositions. Re what you are looking at, w/out knowing the size impossible to help you, except that when young, diversipes have truly wonderful multicolored iridescence that outshines any Avic.
I agree I wish they kept their juvie paint job! Same with versicolor, awesome when there slings, not so much as adults IMO.. I'll probably get bashed for that.lol..