Lifting the Air Temperature in Viv's and Terrarium rack/rub systems

parabuthus22

Arachnopeon
I need some help with the heating in my Buthidae vivarium.

I currently have a heat mat setup with two mats at the back of the four foot vivarium. These are controlled by two separate thermostats. A strip light fixed to the top of the vivarium adds light and a small amount of heat.

The viv is 27-29 degrees C at the back and 19-21 degrees at the front, this drops 3-4 degrees at night. The house temp is 13 degrees at night and 16-18 dgrees during the day (UK Winter –autumn – spring).

As my collection grows I need to place more containers into the viv.

This causes a problem as the current heating only works if the container is touching the back of the vivarium. As you prob all know this is not always possible with dozens of rubs/ acrylic containers.

I feel I need to lift the Air tempreture so that the front of the viv reads 22-24 degrees and the stats can then control the back tempreture so It does not get too hot. I don’t think I can do this with just the mats so I could either change my heat source (to heat cables?never used these) or add a ceramic heater????

I placed a tubular ceramic heater in the viv. It works but only for an hour then it gets too hot. Thought i'd*post this before I go out and buy a state of the art Themostat control so I can turn the mats and the heater on/off at different times of the day.

Anybody else with this issue? Any ideas? Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers. Matt

CF036416.jpg
CF036420.jpg

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Maybe try a small heating panel that is often used for reptiles? I know they work quite well.

Tongue Flicker

Arachnobaron
Place a laptop cooler upside down and on top of your enclosure. Works for a good ventilation and preventing too hot air from building up inside

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Any resistive element heater can be controlled by a simple light dimmer. Commercial thermostatic controls are quite cheap. Combine the two to get whatever amount of heat you want. Remote bulb (sensors) heaters can be used in series parallel configurations to monitor both cool and hot zones.

parabuthus22

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the advice. This is good stuff. I've going to add the old laptop fan into the viv now…

They don't sell the Reptile heating panels in the UK.