10 gal. setup for one of my Avic Avic's

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
I had a 10 gal aquarium laying around in my storage unit and decided to give one of my A. Avic's a bigger place to live in. I don't keep a huge collection so I figure the guys I keep will live quite nicely :) DSCN0086.jpg 5 gallon set up.jpg DSCN0154.jpg

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
Next go around I plan on a cleaner looking latch and hinge setup.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
I mounted the drift wood with some hot glue and made her hide out some cardboard. After I mounted all of that stuff, I just shot spray foam in to fill gaps and cut off the extra here and there. I shot it pretty thick, Definitely something you would want to let sit over night.

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I mounted the drift wood with some hot glue and made her hide out some cardboard. After I mounted all of that stuff, I just shot spray foam in to fill gaps and cut off the extra here and there. I shot it pretty thick, Definitely something you would want to let sit over night.
What kind of foam is it, brand or type? And what did you use to paint the foam?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Some people use what is called "great foam", it expands ALOT! Not sure how most people paint foam however.

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
Yeah, It was "Great Stuff" foam. Some of the off brands I've noticed aren't as nice to work with (I use it a lot for sculpting on other projects)
The paint part was just acrylic laying around. After everything dried, I just mixed "dirty" colors. Browns, yellows, greens etc. on a palette. You'll get way more of a natural look if you apply it by dabbing with an almost dry sponge instead of a paintbrush.
After that I would brush in areas with glue (Elmers, Wood glue, Anything non toxic works great) And I would toss on dry cocoa fiber. Moss I would throw in afterward with hot glue.
Water dish, I did the same, Cut the bottom off of a deli container to the depth you want, Paint on your glue and roll it in a tub of dry cocoa fiber.

---------- Post added 01-03-2015 at 03:50 PM ----------

And YES!! That foam does expand ALOT. Test it outside on something to get a feel for it if you have never used it. A large amount (If you use an entire can) will slowly expand over night. And wear gloves because it's some evil stuff, Way worse than getting super glue on your fingers. Trust me.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
That's really nice! I would add some more vent holes though,specially with an avic.

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
I did. I went through and added two rows of 1/2 inch holes top and bottom, Just didn't bother to take pics. :)

leaveittoweaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I did. I went through and added two rows of 1/2 inch holes top and bottom, Just didn't bother to take pics. :)
Probably a stupid question, but how did you add the holes?

Great looking set up! I love seeing what people do with Great stuff and I'm never brave enough to try it myself!

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I want to see the "post-poo" pics of the enclosure in another month or so. :photogenic: :biggrin:

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
She's not too bad, I do have one in my collection that shoots poop all over the front of it's enclosure every chance it gets.

Mark Mott

Arachnopeon
Great idea on the spray foam. I have done the same in dart frog vivs and it has worked well. I think i will follow your model and do the same for my T's once they are big enough for something like this!