M. balfouri stuck in molt

samatwwe

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey guys, so I need some advice quick. I have a male M. balfouri that's about 3.5" DLS that I received about a week ago and he started molting last night about 24 hours ago. I went to remove the molt this morning and noticed that he has been in the same position since then. After careful checking out the situation I realized the he is fully out of the exoskeleton but there is a piece stuck to the abdomen and a piece stuck on the side of one of his fangs. There is also a back leg in between him and the molt and it looks mangled. All other legs are spread out. His colors are mostly back and his fangs are starting to harden and are red now. I need suggestions from experienced keepers on what to do. I have already increased humidity and dampened some substrate. Should I carefully cut away the full molt and just leave the stuck pieces? He is still on his back and seems unresponsive still.

---------- Post added 01-04-2015 at 10:09 PM ----------

Any experts out there? Not trying to lose this guy....

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
Have you tried putting the whole enclosure in the bathroom while running the shower for a while? The increase in humidity may soften the old exo enough that it's easier for him to get out of.

Pokie Master

Arachnosquire
You need to try the shower thing as mentioned. These are a drier species but still need humidity when molting. If the shower thing doesn't work it may be time to think about cutting the old molt away from it if you have the right tools and a steady hand. But that is a very last resort.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I keep checking back to this thread, hoping for a positive outcome. Humidity seems to be best 1st step. (fingers crossed for the fellow!)

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It sounds like it got out of the molt but a couple pieces were stuck to it? I'm sure your initial reaction was correct, just try carefully peeling it off. If he is still on his back, you can give him some water through a dropper directly in the mouth. Hope he comes out okay.

Martin1975

Arachnoknight
Hey guys, so I need some advice quick. I have a male M. balfouri that's about 3.5" DLS that I received about a week ago and he started molting last night about 24 hours ago. I went to remove the molt this morning and noticed that he has been in the same position since then. After careful checking out the situation I realized the he is fully out of the exoskeleton but there is a piece stuck to the abdomen and a piece stuck on the side of one of his fangs. There is also a back leg in between him and the molt and it looks mangled. All other legs are spread out. His colors are mostly back and his fangs are starting to harden and are red now. I need suggestions from experienced keepers on what to do. I have already increased humidity and dampened some substrate. Should I carefully cut away the full molt and just leave the stuck pieces? He is still on his back and seems unresponsive still.

---------- Post added 01-04-2015 at 10:09 PM ----------

Any experts out there? Not trying to lose this guy....
Hello
I am now going to tell you what I did,in no way am I saying I found a quick fix. This did indeed save an Avicularia specimens legs etc,no limbs were lost at all. I had received a tarantula mid molt,it was stuck I actually lost all hope

What I then did to pursue the problem,I got an extremely soft brush and started dabbing the areas that were stuck. Remember not to overdo it,I got limb for limb free from the old exoskeleton and my Tarantula survived the ordeal.

I had a choice, I was in a battle to do or not to do. I took a huge risk,since I tried something not proven. I used the logic of when sexing a molt,what do we do ? We soften it,by adding water and sunlight liquid or dishwashing soap obviously I wasn't going to add the soap onto her so used clean water.

I hope if all else fails,try what I have said but remember it doesn't mean what worked for me will have the same outcome for you. I am just trying to give you an avenue you could use,so best of luck.

samatwwe

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks to all who have made suggestions so far. I am headed home from work now and will update shortly. I am going to try the shower method

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks to all who have made suggestions so far. I am headed home from work now and will update shortly. I am going to try the shower method
If you haven't tried anything since you posted last night, the shower method may be too little too late. I'd suggest helping the spider with a paintbrush and water. May even have to cut certain parts of it out of the dried exuvium.

samatwwe

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Update:
I went into the bathroom and turned the shower on to create steam while I attempted to remove the molt. It turns out the left pedipalp was indeed stuck as well and the first leg on the opposite side is stuck as well and the second leg on that side is pretty mangled under the molt. I got the palp out with a paintbrush and some water. I gave him a droplet of water on his mouth area and to my surprise I noticed mites around the mouth immediately on the drop of water. He is not going near my Ts now. I have never had mites in my collection and I just received this balfouri last week. I have seen no movement in over 48 hours and the underside of his abdomen that is facing up is starting to wrinkle as if he is dead. I need some opinions on if you guys think he has passed. If so I am going to freeze the whole enclosure and dispose of it to get rid of the mites as well. What a bummer...I finally dished out the money for this guy to breed with my female when he matures and this happens.

Could the mites have played a role in his molting issue? Can't they dehydrate a tarantula by using it as their host?

horanjp

Arachnosquire
Bumping the thread- want to hear more about people's' thoughts on this

cold blood

Staff member
No, I wouldn't blame mites. They probably arrived after the fact and were attracted to the new, soft tissue that hadn't hardened yet.

I am not a fan of the "shower method".

I recently had a P. striata go through virtually the same thing as your balfouri. Its molt was stuck on the bottom of the carapace and to one of the fangs...no legs, but frankly, the leg is the least of the worry as it will do just fine without a leg. The first thing I did was to remove as much of the old exo as I could with a tweezers(gently of course), simply so the t could move more normally instead of dragging the entire molt beneath it. Then I significantly moistened the sub. Within minutes the t was resting flat on the moistened sub, basically pressing the old exo onto the sub. After a few hours the exo had come free from beneath it. The next morning it was free from the fang as well, although the fang was bent upward, rendering that fang basically useless.

Since its had no trouble catching or eating prey, although the consumption part does take longer.

The incident showed me that the t, in many situations, knows what it needs to do to rid itself of the stuck exo as long as the legs are free and the t remains mobile. Its just a matter of providing the moister conditions that the t requires....at least in terms of the more minor sticks.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No, I wouldn't blame mites. They probably arrived after the fact and were attracted to the new, soft tissue that hadn't hardened yet.

I am not a fan of the "shower method".

I recently had a P. striata go through virtually the same thing as your balfouri. Its molt was stuck on the bottom of the carapace and to one of the fangs...no legs, but frankly, the leg is the least of the worry as it will do just fine without a leg. The first thing I did was to remove as much of the old exo as I could with a tweezers(gently of course), simply so the t could move more normally instead of dragging the entire molt beneath it. Then I significantly moistened the sub. Within minutes the t was resting flat on the moistened sub, basically pressing the old exo onto the sub. After a few hours the exo had come free from beneath it. The next morning it was free from the fang as well, although the fang was bent upward, rendering that fang basically useless.

Since its had no trouble catching or eating prey, although the consumption part does take longer.

The incident showed me that the t, in many situations, knows what it needs to do to rid itself of the stuck exo as long as the legs are free and the t remains mobile. Its just a matter of providing the moister conditions that the t requires....at least in terms of the more minor sticks.
Very helpful. I will try this. Thanks!

samatwwe

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ive been keeping up with this post, how's the T doing!? :cry: Hope all is well.
I lost that male balfouri. He was unresponsive throughout the whole process and may have passed that night. I have since gotten a mature male and will be breeding mine soon.