Favorite Colubrid?

Inverts4life1

Arachnosquire
My favorite snakes are the colubrids, specifically Kingsnakes and Ratsnakes. I don't really have a favorite morph or species yet though. It would be great to know what your favorite colubrid is to keep. I just want to know what other people like and have as far as colubrids go and hopefully give me some ideas for future pets. Can't wait to see what you guys have! :geek:

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My favorite Colubrids to keep are the North American Water Snakes, genus Nerodia, closely followed by the Coachwhips, genus Masticophis. I'm a sucker for an "underdog", and these two genera of snakes are vastly under-appreciated, even disliked, by many reptile keepers, largely for reasons I have found not to be true.

pitbulllady

Drache

Arachnosquire
Garters, garters, garters - thamnophis all the way! So many beautiful colours and patterns, and many species can be kept communally.
Closely followed by h.nasicus - Western hognose. Yes, I love nearly all snakes rear-fanged, and those are at the top of my list - both are so darn cute in the face. Nerodia are really cool too.

truecreature

Arachnoknight
There's such a huge variety of colubrids that that's a difficult question. Some of the ones I'd like to end up collecting one day though are hoggies, honduran milk, CBB black racer, and California king

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
I've never heard of that snake before. I love the snout on that thing. I had to take a double look at first because I didn't even realize that was the snout. Definitely a cool looking snake!
They're primarily burrowers, swimming through sand, one of their major prey items are banded geckos

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
One day...Drymarchon corais. When it comes to our native species, I don't think there's a more beautiful or impressive snake out there. Unfortunately, I don't have the space and can't rationalize paying that much or jumping through the necessary legal hoops.

For now I'll have to stick with my Andean milk snake. A fantastic, underrated species.

bchbum11

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you like kings/rats the most among colubrids, then I'd recommend a Mexican Black King. Their iridescence is stunning (especially on the ventral scales), and they are extremely mellow. They are simply a joy to work with.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you like kings/rats the most among colubrids, then I'd recommend a Mexican Black King. Their iridescence is stunning (especially on the ventral scales), and they are extremely mellow. They are simply a joy to work with.
I'll have to check them out. A poor man's Indigo!

Nada

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Today, my favorite is Hydrodynastes gigas - False Water Cobra tomorrow, who knows...

Rowdy Hotel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I picked up a Mexican black king in the wild and it never attempted to strike. Even babies aren't as nippy as many baby king snakes can be (I'm looking at you, California Kings).