Beginner tarantulas

TheHonestPirate

Arachnoknight
I currently have 3 b vagan slings. I am interested in expanding my collection. What are some other species that are good to keep for someone new to the hobby. I prefer raising from a sling.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Any Brachy is good. The one downside being that they grow very slow.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I would be recommending you an Euathlus sp. but Judging by how you want to raise it from a sling, you'll be a thousand by the time it reaches maturity. I agree with bscheidt. A. Geniculata is a great species to raise from a sling. Just stay away from it's hairs.

awiec

Arachnoprince
The thrixopelma genus would be a good mix of calmness, decent growth rate and beauty. Only seen a threatpose once from one of mine and that was directed at a roach. G.iheringi is also another choice as they are the fastest growers of the genus but are a little pricey, very nice to look at and feed though.

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
Not trying to sound rude but you do know it is B. vagans right. Not B. vagan. Im sure it was just a typo. Anyway I would get more brachys. Don't get any avics until you are more advanced. They are not good beginner T's because of their care requirements.

Spaceblues

Arachnopeon
I just bought three nice sized G. iheringi on sale and am happy with them. You already have the G. pulchripes so maybe a G. pulchra? I also have the E. sp red mentioned above and she's extremely docile, but I bought her as a juvie due to the slow growth rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Acanthoscurria, brachypelma and grammastola genus are good beginner Ts.. you can always try out chromatopelma cyaneopubescens aka GBB - nice Ts, beautiful coloured and webs a lot. Otherwise brachypelma albopilosum, brachypelma smithi, brachypelma boehmei, acanthoscurria geniculata, grammostola porteri, garmmostola rosea, grammostola pulchra

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
Some aphonopelma sp like chalcodes or hentzi are good too. A genics and Lasiodora sp are great transition Ts into faster and more defensive spiders. They grow very fast. Always watch your fingers with these. They have a very strong feeding response and can have some nasty hairs.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Absolutely, best starter Ts are usually the slowest growing.

Since I haven't seen this recommended-- Eupalaestrus campestratus, Pink Zebra Beauty. I've no personal experience, but they're on my wish list and I've heard great things about them.

I think A. geniculata are a decent choice. Definitely avoid their bristles though. Supposedly one of the most irritating. Be ready for a little garbage disposal though, because they love demolishing their food.

When you get a little more experience, you should think about some Avicularia. They're more delicate than terrestrials, need specific things (aka. do your research to be sure you're giving them the best cross ventilation, humidity, ect.) to thrive. But arboreal Ts are so cool! Even if they double as portable poop canons.

---------- Post added 01-07-2015 at 07:31 PM ----------

I just bought three nice sized G. iheringi on sale and am happy with them. You already have the G. pulchripes so maybe a G. pulchra? I also have the E. sp red mentioned above and she's extremely docile, but I bought her as a juvie due to the slow growth rate.

I love my G. iheringi. I need to pick up a few more to make sure I get a lady. Just wait until they molt for you. The red on their bums practically glows right after a molt.

TheHonestPirate

Arachnoknight
Not trying to sound rude but you do know it is B. vagans right. Not B. vagan. Im sure it was just a typo. Anyway I would get more brachys. Don't get any avics until you are more advanced. They are not good beginner T's because of their care requirements.
Yes. I know. Im on my phone and typi ng on a phone can be difficult with big fi ngers

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
I think A. geniculata are a decent choice. Definitely avoid their bristles though. Supposedly one of the most irritating. Be ready for a little garbage disposal though, because they love demolishing their food.

My genic doesn't just attack quick, she eats fast too!! I mean scarfing down a superworm about twice as quick as my other species, even the L. Klugi. I think she just can't wait to get ready for another hunt!

Spaceblues

Arachnopeon
I think A. geniculata are a decent choice. Definitely avoid their bristles though.!
A. genic is on my list to maybe have someday, but the bristle thing keeps me thinking twice since I keep hearing they're "some of the worst" when it comes to irritation.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
A. genic is on my list to maybe have someday, but the bristle thing keeps me thinking twice since I keep hearing they're "some of the worst" when it comes to irritation.

That quote was actually not mine but I am still not quite aware of how to copy a section of a person's post without the rest. My fault. I think you should go for it with the genic. Mine has not kicked hairs at me at all. Kicked hairs at a cricket once though. I just move pretty slow and she is pretty calm. The main thing to remember is that anything moving is food to a genic.....that means bugs, water, your fingers, a passing shadow, or lost children. Ok, maybe I exaggerated but they are awesome and so far, no hair kicking.

cold blood

Staff member
Yes. I know. Im on my phone and typi ng on a phone can be difficult with big fi ngers

Fat fingers...makes me think of the Simpsons episode where Homer gains 300lb to go on disability....after he gains the weight, he needs to make an emergency call to prevent the nuclear plant from blowing up...he calls and gets a recording that says in an automated female voice "the fingers you have used to dial are too fat, if you wish to obtain a special dialing wand, mash the keypad now"....classic episode...hehe

How about a B. albo. Interesting with that curly haired look, good eaters, hardy, active (little construction workers, they are) and probably the fastest growers in the genus.

If you could find (probably won't) a Thrixopelma cyaneolum, grab it. Gorgeous blue, great eaters, easy keepers and exceptionally docile and calm...splendid eaters as well.

Eauthalus sp red/yellow is definitely another, but look for one an inch or better, cause the little ones take a good while to get to that inch mark. Docile, active and inquisitive, at least that's the description from virtually every owner. Same for E. parvalus, which are beautiful.

cold blood

Staff member
Now what if I wanted arboreal species? Whats the typical intro arboreal?
\

An adult or sub-adult A. avic. Slings have a smaller margin of error. Make sure you have all your husbandry down pat before jumping here, but they can be found at many LPS's and are not too expensive, even as adults...just be careful and look at the t so you don't end up with a MM.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Now what if I wanted arboreal species? Whats the typical intro arboreal?
Beginners should hold off on arboreals until they get a feel for tarantulas. Most people get an Avic as a first arboreal, and many kill them thru improper care. They have narrow range of acceptable conditions. Best for you and the spiders if you do this in stages.