Is T keeping turning you into a hoarder?

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Of course you may need that bottle cap, and that bendi-straw. These old peat pots (reading, hmmm, no chemicals -- possible hide? better keep). Stouffers entree containers -- add some substrate and I bet the crickets could lay their eggs in there, better keep. Egg cartons -- you betcha they're keepers! It's like all normal garbage/recycling may have some hobby possibility -- better keep! I need these souffle cups and deli cups, and that old clear acrylic hinged container that used to hold recipes -- could be a keeper of some sort.
Is this you too?
What have you found a good use for that we may be throwing out?

Thanks in advance!

MrDave

Arachnosquire
I find myself evaluating every container I see for its potential as a spider enclosure. Buying this brand of peanuts instead of that one because of the clear plastic container.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I find myself evaluating every container I see for its potential as a spider enclosure. Buying this brand of peanuts instead of that one because of the clear plastic container.
I forgot all about the peanut jars! That's my A avic mini sling enclosure!

peanutcontainer.jpg

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
IMG_4224.jpg
These recipe boxes make great enclosures. I keep all but two items on that list the peat pot and egg carton. LOL I am coming to terms that I am a tarantula addict butt to find out I may be a hoarder too is to much to bear. This calls for another tarantula

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I can't remember the thread, but somewhere, someone argued about use of water dishes, and someone stated avic slings won't use a water bowl. Someone else argued they would and needed them.... Anyway, while I am in my pix file, I am adding this same avic caught drinking from that water dish. I have more recent pix of her, but she has webbed the mess out of her peanut jar, and so she can't been seen well anymore.
IMG-20141224-00257.jpg

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I love it! I knew that recipe keeper might come in handy -- did you drill the holes? Burn them in? I am ignorant about acrylics.

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I drilled them. I rapped electrical tape around the bit to act as a drill stop to just where the bit just protrudes the other side. this takes a light touch the flukes of the bit would catch and crack the plastic without the tape stop. different bits would probably work better but this is what I had. I have one more box I may try to burn holes in that one and see if it works better.

Zigana

Arachnosquire
FruitFly containers, the ones with the air hole on lid. Started to keep just the lid but then thought the container is plastic and would be fine after a good washing so I kept both. Tonight after dinner, cleaning up I saw the sour cream container empty. I was ready to toss it then stopped, thinking this may come in handy for my tarantulas. Bottle caps are a must keep.

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
tried it with bernzomatic micro torch. I think I personally got better results with drilling the holes were more round and the same size. there was a thread a while back on drilling plastic with some good ideas. Links on Drilling Plastic

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Giant thing of pub mix from costco.. perfect for a sub adult arboreal.. only mine are still slings.. better hang onto them until then.

I definitely feel it!

Sana

Arachnoprince
My recent one is plastic animal cookie jars in the shape of teddy bears. I can't get the kids to eat the darn cookies fast enough. Also plastic coffee cans and lids have a variety of uses. I've spent so much time considering the merits of anything I come across for the hobby that now I've got my mom doing it too, and she doesn't like spiders.:laugh:

She just brought me a bag of goodies a couple days ago for a box of spiders she has no idea I'm anticipating.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I've spent so much time considering the merits of anything I come across for the hobby that now I've got my mom doing it too, and she doesn't like spiders.:laugh:
She just brought me a bag of goodies a couple days ago for a box of spiders she has no idea I'm anticipating.
You're a true T ambassador!

Medusa

Arachnoknight
And perusing the storage container aisles for possibilities. [emoji6]

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Re-reading this thread title, it sounded like a thread against people keeping too many Ts, sorry.

Hoarding: I noticed I have 3 boxes of stuff on the enclosed porch, all saved for "possible" T or feeder use. It struck me funny I was becoming a hoarder of junk, since it was mostly stuff I would ordinarily just toss in garbage or recycle bin. My dog had a toy chest plus collars, leads, travel bowls, etc, and even her stuff wouldn't have taken up 3 boxes. And hers was "good" stuff, not stuff we usually toss.
I have definitely changed!
And I find myself also making a beeline to the storage container aisles at big box stores too. And considering containers when purchasing groceries.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
I do the same, especially going down the pet aisle, so many dog treat containers. Lucky to have my pair of APBTs and some neighbor's dogs to eat the treats.

Don't consider myself a "hoarder", more along the line of a "pack rat" of future T enclosures. Lol!

Of all the things I've lost in life...I miss my memory the most.

miserykills

Arachnosquire
My issue is I buy every tank that is on clearance at local pet stores expecting my future/full grown tarantulas. I have a tank set aside for the GBB I don't have yet, one for the T. stirmi I dream of having, one for my P. cam. when it gets big...so many more. my closet is full of them and I have a plan for all of them, I'm just pacing myself.