20 gallon split aquarium project

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
This is a project I started a few weeks ago. I had a 20 gallon aquarium laying around and wanted to partition it into 3 separate enclosures.

tank build 1.jpg

I had some glass tops laying around from an old salt water set up I didn't want to throw away and six months later, boy did they come in handy. They weren't big enough for the entire top (I didn't want to do it that way to begin with) But the back fit the tank perfectly and the one
piece hinge was easily slid off and cut into 3 sections. From there on out it was just acrylic sheets cut to fit how I wanted. I used JB Weld
Clear Epoxy to connect everything. Drilled holes and added some knobs from the hardware store.

tank build 2.jpg

I guess I could have created back panels for each section but opted not to because it's super cold outside and I didn't want to stand out
there cutting on foam and waiting ten years for caulk to set up in below freezing temps. I took the easy way out and painted the back of the entire aquarium black. (This method also works great if your into fish and hate messing with those backdrops that always come un-taped
and tear etc.)
I set this up tonight finally with two new aphonopelma chalcodes that I got in last week (Picked them up from Tbreeders.com , Jason is the nicest guy to ever deal with by the way, Cool dude) And I had a b boehmei that I wanted to rehouse.
Some of you might have noticed that there are no latches on the top, I cut everything to be quite snug and tight fitting. Nothing is escaping trust me :)

tank build 3.jpg
tank build 4.jpg

Attachments

Chainsaw Reptiles

Arachnoknight
OH DAYYYYUUUUUM BRAH Mind If I Knick This Idea? I LOVE IT The T's You Displayed Are Really Pretty Btw :3 Great Option Personaly I Would Put OBTs Because I Like Stuff That Likes To Try Eat me But Ya Know Hehe XD What Was In The Middle Section Btw?

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
It's not my idea by any means, I just epoxied acrylic dividers into an aquarium, lol. The middle section houses a aphonopelma chalcodes as well. Glad you dig it.

cold blood

Staff member
Split up aquariums are just a bad idea for keeping t's, now matter how nice they look...and yours looks great...still a bad idea...too many t's have become lunch because of enclosures like these.

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
No Doubt. I've heard and read about those instances and I took that into consideration for sure. I filled these with aphonopelma chalcodes, I think these are the most laid back guys in my collection and feel pretty comfortable with how they hang around.