First time breeders

EODviper

Arachnopeon
I have been doing research on breeding but I noticed there is no information about good species for beginner breeders. Any input would be appreciated. Also what some good places to research more on the subject. I can't get enough information about these little guys. Thank you

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
I have been doing research on breeding but I noticed there is no information about good species for beginner breeders. Any input would be appreciated. Also what some good places to research more on the subject. I can't get enough information about these little guys. Thank you
What is your experience level with Tarantulas? Apart from breeding

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
What's good for beginners to breed varies. The market keeps changing. It's best not to breed species that the market is flooded with, like LP's, OBT's, & roseas, as you could be sitting on those a while. Look at pricelists and pick some species that go for around $20-30 retail, then do some research on breeding those.

TroyMcClureOG82

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm not trying to put anyone down, if it come across I apologize because there wasn't meant to be any passive aggressiveness in my post I was just trying to call it like I see it, if anyone is actually offended by my post I apologize. Now, if anyone wants to deny how crucial it is to understand how these tarantulas live in their habitat that is fine, but don't expect to breed the more exotic species successfully and constantly any time soon. Obviously the Germans are doing something that Americans aren't and I would bet money it's the correct understanding of how their tarantulas behave in the wild. Down here I would say we have nailed 95% of our tarantulas breeding patterns (easy for us to keep them at correct temperatures as well) and we have MONSTER sacs, I have a 6 incher here who pushes out a 300 sac, some of Steve's giant girls are hitting 450 easily, whereas when we didn't know too much about them we would expect a 6 incher to push out a 150-200 sac. You can't simply blame this in W/C this isn't a viable argument anymore, they're breeding these species in captivity, consistently and obviously correctly.
There are so many variables causing the Germans to produce more than us but I like how you have it all figured out

EODviper

Arachnopeon
What is your experience level with Tarantulas? Apart from breeding
I have very ltitle experience. I just enjoy researching about Ts. I have been reading and watching videos since back in 2008 about tarantula care and just a month or 2 ago finally bought my first sling. Now I have 4 slings. A B. Smithi, a. Diversipes, p. Irminia, and a Hapalopus sp. Colombia. I already want more just have to convince the wife

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
I have very ltitle experience. I just enjoy researching about Ts. I have been reading and watching videos since back in 2008 about tarantula care and just a month or 2 ago finally bought my first sling. Now I have 4 slings. A B. Smithi, a. Diversipes, p. Irminia, and a Hapalopus sp. Colombia. I already want more just have to convince the wife
lol I hear you, it becomes a great collectable hobby! And great species.. Watch out for the iminia as it grows, highly defensive species. What I would recommend is getting some hands on experience with husbandry of your T's as they grow and as they become adults. This needs to be taken into account when breeding as im sure you know if you've been doing your research. But before breeding i'd focus on raising some first.. Thats my opinion.. But if you insist, the thing about M. Balfouri, is they are fairly easy to maintain, being from a dryer climate, yield managable amounts of slings, and sell for a lot as slings and adults..Not to mention their utter beauty

EODviper

Arachnopeon
lol I hear you, it becomes a great collectable hobby! And great species.. Watch out for the iminia as it grows, highly defensive species. What I would recommend is getting some hands on experience with husbandry of your T's as they grow and as they become adults. This needs to be taken into account when breeding as im sure you know if you've been doing your research. But before breeding i'd focus on raising some first.. Thats my opinion.. But if you insist, the thing about M. Balfouri, is they are fairly easy to maintain, being from a dryer climate, yield managable amounts of slings, and sell for a lot as slings and adults..Not to mention their utter beauty
I'm not necessarily looking to jump into this. As you can see I like to do tons of research and take my time before jumping into things. I may never do it. I just really thought it would be a useful subject for people looking to begin breeding. Also the irminia was a frebel I had gotten I was trying to start a little slower honestly. But I have already gotten attached to the little guy he is one of my favorites already. But if he begins to become to much I plan on giving hI'm to someone with more experience. Probably from this site. But for now I will be researching breeding m. Balfour :) thank you

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
I'm not necessarily looking to jump into this. As you can see I like to do tons of research and take my time before jumping into things. I may never do it. I just really thought it would be a useful subject for people looking to begin breeding. Also the irminia was a frebel I had gotten I was trying to start a little slower honestly. But I have already gotten attached to the little guy he is one of my favorites already. But if he begins to become to much I plan on giving hI'm to someone with more experience. Probably from this site. But for now I will be researching breeding m. Balfour :) thank you
Your welcome, and thanks for starting the post. The biggest thing with your irminia, is to take more than necessary precautions when rehousing etc.. It's a beautiful T, BTW for that Balfouri, they are an expensive little bugger at around 70-90$ a pop as slings :p

EODviper

Arachnopeon
Your welcome, and thanks for starting the post. The biggest thing with your irminia, is to take more than necessary precautions when rehousing etc.. It's a beautiful T, BTW for that Balfouri, they are an expensive little bugger at around 70-90$ a pop as slings :p
wow that is expensive. im curious how much a breeding pair would cost.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I will eventually start breeding my Ts, eventually being when they mature. When I decided that I was interested in breeding, I started being more purposeful in my approach to acquiring new Ts. My first breeding project will likely be G. pulchripes. This was my first species and will be my first species to mature. Now that I know the sex (male) I am shopping for a girlfriend of the size difference they will need to be mature at the same time. As I consider new slings, I don't look to buy them in singles, but in groups of 5-10 to be sure that I will get the gender I need at that time. This is an approach that was recommended to me by a successful breeder who uses it with his own program. Acquisitions is step one for me. With appropriate care, I should have my first mature pair in the next 2 years. In the mean time, I have lots of research to do (on top of what I've already done) and investments to plan and make.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
I will eventually start breeding my Ts, eventually being when they mature. When I decided that I was interested in breeding, I started being more purposeful in my approach to acquiring new Ts. My first breeding project will likely be G. pulchripes. This was my first species and will be my first species to mature. Now that I know the sex (male) I am shopping for a girlfriend of the size difference they will need to be mature at the same time. As I consider new slings, I don't look to buy them in singles, but in groups of 5-10 to be sure that I will get the gender I need at that time. This is an approach that was recommended to me by a successful breeder who uses it with his own program. Acquisitions is step one for me. With appropriate care, I should have my first mature pair in the next 2 years. In the mean time, I have lots of research to do (on top of what I've already done) and investments to plan and make.
I currently have a MM and MF G. Pulchripes for breeding, exactly I have started buying more than one of the same species as well, particularly Chilobrachys and Pelinobius :)

EODviper

Arachnopeon
LOL.. The truth comes out about the M. Balfouri..

---------- Post added 01-13-2015 at 09:36 AM ----------

Your looking at around 600-900$.. A very expensive proposition. Yet the payout is great as well.
yes this is true. but it seems like they produce pretty small sacs.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The first sac i produced was S. calceatum, after being in the hobby a little over a year.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
yes this is true. but it seems like they produce pretty small sacs.
Yea any where from one to a couple dozen.. Not large but multiply 70-90$ by 12 - 24 and you have alot of cash, not to mention that you can continue to breed the mature couple.. So long as your male doesn't get eaten ;)

---------- Post added 01-13-2015 at 07:24 PM ----------

The first sac i produced was S. calceatum, after being in the hobby a little over a year.
I still haven't purchased one.. Must say I'm a bit intimidated by them lol.. How was it breeding them?