Mexican white-knee?

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
So I flip on the Tonight Show just in time to see a guy put a B. smithi on Jimmy Fallon's shoulder. I really wish the animal guys that appear on talk shows wouldn't play with the critters. But of course I continue to watch. The guy goes on to place another spider on Fallon's head, explaining that it was a "Mexican White Knee". I did not get a really good look at that spider, but It wasn't a genic as far as I could tell. I tried to focus on the spider, but fallon was of course squirming and the guy was picking the spider up and moving it around.
Are there any spiders called "Mexican White-knee"? I wish I had a recording of it so I could describe it better. Good-sized and stocky, white bands similar to a smithi. i wasn't dark, though I can't say if it was tan or brown.
I also wish they'd introduce things by their Latin names and then supplement that with a common name if they must.

I wonder if Fallon will be itching tonight? The smithi was obviously a hair-kicker, it had a nice bald spot already.

TroyMcClureOG82

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nhandu Coloratovillosus? Possibly. I don't believe there's a T that goes by that common name

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
That looks like it could be it. Are they generally a pretty mellow spider? This one didn't act terribly upset with being handled. Of course, they might have cooled them to make them more tractable for all I know. I'll watch for a clip from the show on-line.
I was mainly puzzled by the common name the guy gave it, as I'd never heard that one before either.

horanjp

Arachnosquire
Though I don't own one myself, I imagine their temperament would be similar to other species in the same genus.

I can see it now...Jimmy Fallon's producer calls old leathery reptile guy he knew from his roadie days......now living in a trailer behind the 'hollywood' sign...."Got any spiders we can use for the show?"
"uhhhhhYEAH uhhh got this uhhhh mexican white knee and uhhhhhhh a sri lankan gooty curly pink salmon goliath birdeater and uhhhhh....."

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Those shots are from a 2010 broadcast, though. When Fallon was still hosting Late Night. This was last night on the Tonight show. And it was a totally different spider.

Imortalis

Arachnopeon
I agree. It's a B. Emilia. I've never heard of a Mexican "white knee" before. And yeah, it bugs me to see the "tv people" stressing out Ts as well as other animals for minimal amusement.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Yes that's the scene, and it does look like a good bit like a Chaco now that I can stop the action and examine it.

I'm guessing nobody told Fallon about the potential problems getting haired in the eyes can cause. I don't imagine tumbling from his head and onto the desk would have done the spider much good, either.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I think the t on his head was A.seemmani.

---------- Post added 01-13-2015 at 05:10 AM ----------

I agree. It's a B. Emilia. I've never heard of a Mexican "white knee" before. And yeah, it bugs me to see the "tv people" stressing out Ts as well as other animals for minimal amusement.
A.geniculata was and some times still is sold as mexican white knee in the pet trade..gotta love those O so creative,confusing and horribly inaccurate, common names!

---------- Post added 01-13-2015 at 05:14 AM ----------

Where Can I Find APicture So I Can Compare Em Up To Some Of My Red Knees And Whiteknees?
Are you jokeing? Or do you really have a t that you call a white knee and what species is it?

Last edited:

horanjp

Arachnosquire
I think the t on his head was A.seemmani.
Agreed.
Are you jokeing? Or do you really have a t that you call a white knee and what species is it?
Laughter....I got a 'white knee' at an expo a few years ago, its a MM pulchripes now. Or really looks like one. Sigh.....taxonomy...what a waste of time.

---------- Post added 01-13-2015 at 08:19 AM ----------

Shameless promotion......http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/gallery/files/1/0/2/5/5/8/g_pulc_low_res.jpg
Feel free to post opinions.

"White Knee"

Martin1975

Arachnoknight
That looks like it could be it. Are they generally a pretty mellow spider? This one didn't act terribly upset with being handled. Of course, they might have cooled them to make them more tractable for all I know. I'll watch for a clip from the show on-line.
I was mainly puzzled by the common name the guy gave it, as I'd never heard that one before either.
Hello
The one is a Brachypelma Emilia,have these as well. Nice tarantula,beautiful color to it and will sit outside so a definite display tarantula. Some would say the hair from these can be bad,but I have not experienced that so far.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
The old one is obviously B emelia.

The new one posted by tisha looks like G. pulchripes clear as a bell to me.