Cyriopagopus sp. Hati Hati bite report?

Tarantula Fangs

Arachnosquire
I hope the title didn't mislead you, because no, I haven't been bitten by my T but was wondering if anyone else has, by this species or genus. Mine seems pretty relaxed, so I'm considering holding her, even though I am advised not to and I understand the risks.:mask: She's still small and I'm unfamiliar with how potent their venom is.. :o_O: so any info on that would be nice. :biggrin:

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
Handling OW T's is not worth the risk of holding them.. In my opinion.. You have two aspects to contend with.. Yourself getting hurt and/or reacting allergically to their venom, and also adding one more hospital case of someone being bitten by a T(People wont be looking at the fact that you were handling the T and got bit, they will think, " Venomous spider, shouldn't be domesticated")... It just adds possibilities of a bad stink for the T hobby

This is my look on it

---------- Post added 01-15-2015 at 02:20 PM ----------

Note: I'm not trying to be a buzz kill :p

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
You can't have an allergic reaction to t venom.
The main reason not to handle a T is the risk it might pose to other people (incase of an escape), if someone gets bit by this T, it would most likely be a trip to the ER, if someone other than the owner gets bit, this gives the hobby and tarantulas a bad rep, not only this, some people would take action against the hobby which would have a negative outcome.. the second thing is the T might get hurt, I don't care about the person getting bit due to handling (I mean you asked for it). Ts are very unpredictable and even though it might seem calm, all that can change in a blink of an eye.. OW lack urticating bristles so their first response when being provoked usually would be to bolt (OW are super fast) or to turn around and defend itself (potent venom).. the only response the body has to the venom is a normal immune response (in cases such as bee stings, getting allergic to it is called anaphylaxis or in severe cases anaphylactic shock, this is when the immune system has a hypersensitive reaction towards a certain substance). The higher the venom potency of the specimen, the higher the immune response thus more severe symptoms than you would get getting bitten by a specimen with a lower venom potency. The venom of the tarantula differs from venom such as from bees, you can't get allergic to it, the only reason in case where the person bitten might get infection, inflammation, swelling etc. Is because of the foreign bodies and bacteria that enters the body.. don't handle this T, you're only asking for trouble.

Last edited:

awiec

Arachnoprince
Another fun fact, if one peruses the bite reports is that most pain medications will not work to ease the pain. T venom is so poorly understood and primitive, that we are not exactly sure how it interacts within the human body. People often recount it as the worse pain they had and some women compared it to child birth. Also add to the fact that some people report reoccurring cramps and pain months from the initial bite, you aren't going to die but you will wish you could time travel and smack yourself for handling a potent spider. You don't need a species specific bite report, looking at the genus as a whole will give you a good idea on what you're in for and Asian species probably have the worse venom out there (haven't had enough Aussies bit for them to report on their species in large numbers).

While I do not know you, from what you have posted in the past few days/week I have a good feeling that you should not go near this genus; the vibe you give off makes me feel that you will be in over your head and will get bit.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
It's not just handling. People get bit while doing cage maintenance and cage transfers.

awiec

Arachnoprince
It's not just handling. People get bit while doing cage maintenance and cage transfers.
I was more highlighting in that the OP was talking about handling this species or others in their care but even if the OP has no desire to handle, I don't think they have the necessary skill to do those above things without getting hurt.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
The main reason not to handle a T is the risk it might pose to other people (incase of an escape), if someone gets bit by this T, it would most likely be a trip to the ER, if someone other than the owner gets bit, this gives the hobby and tarantulas a bad rep, not only this, some people would take action against the hobby which would have a negative outcome.. the second thing is the T might get hurt, I don't care about the person getting bit sue to handling (I mean you asked for it). Ts are very unpredictable and even though it might seem calm, all that can change in a blink of an eye.. OW lack urticating bristles so their first response when being provoked usually would be to bolt (OW are super fast) or to turn around and defend itself (potent venom).. the only response the body has to the venom is a normal immune response (in cases such as bee stings, getting allergic to it is called anaphylaxis or in severe cases anaphylactic shock, this is when the immune system has a hypersensitive reaction towards a certain substance). The higher the venom potency of the specimen, the higher the immune response thus more severe symptoms than you would get getting bitten by a specimen with a lower venom potency. The venom of the tarantula differs from venom such as from bees, you can't get allergic to it, the only reason in case where the person bitten might get infection, inflammation, swelling etc. Is because of the foreign bodies and bacteria that enters the body.. don't handle this T, you're only asking for trouble.
Thanks for clarifying this for me

---------- Post added 01-15-2015 at 06:04 PM ----------

You can't have an allergic reaction to t venom.
Thanks for the correction.

cold blood

Staff member
Mine seems pretty relaxed, so I'm considering holding her
Looks can be deceiving. A gaboon viper may look calm and relaxed, but no matter how it looks, handling it would be a poor choice. A t is not much different....we have enough knowledge about the species to know better than to handle it...no matter how it appears.

Be smart, please.:wink:

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
Looks can be deceiving. A gaboon viper may look calm and relaxed, but no matter how it looks, handling it would be a poor choice. A t is not much different....we have enough knowledge about the species to know better than to handle it...no matter how it appears.

Be smart, please.:wink:
Aww,you don't cuddle your gaboon viper? You must be a newb...

Tarantula Fangs

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the heads up

You guys are right, I only wanted to hold her because she seemed so calm, oh well, I guess it's just not worth the risk. Now, if someone were to get bitten while maintaining or caring for the T, please feel free to report. Thanks for the replies :biggrin:

---------- Post added 01-15-2015 at 04:24 PM ----------

I've never even heard of this genus before, in truth, it was a freebie with a purchase, but I feel she'd make a great addition to my collection. I just wondered if anyone had experience holding this T and with the venom of the species. Consider your warning heard! lol.

awiec

Arachnoprince
You guys are right, I only wanted to hold her because she seemed so calm, oh well, I guess it's just not worth the risk. Now, if someone were to get bitten while maintaining or caring for the T, please feel free to report. Thanks for the replies :biggrin:

---------- Post added 01-15-2015 at 04:24 PM ----------

I've never even heard of this genus before, in truth, it was a freebie with a purchase, but I feel she'd make a great addition to my collection. I just wondered if anyone had experience holding this T and with the venom of the species. Consider your warning heard! lol.
Who was irresponsible to add that as a freebie? Whenever freebies are offered I check thoroughly to see what they offer before I agree to it. Granted I'm at the point of the game where I can care for most tarantulas but I really am not for surprises.

Tarantula Fangs

Arachnosquire
I don't consider myself an expert like yourself but I'm not an irresponsible person either, I care for my pets just like you would. I feel I was up for the challenge and I accepted it, also It's still very much a sling, but I understand what your saying and I respect your opinion. Not a lot of info is out on the Hati Hati that's why I asked if it were possible to handle.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Especially when having species not suited for their experience level, they let their guard down.

---------- Post added 01-16-2015 at 05:44 AM ----------

I don't consider myself an expert like yourself but I'm not an irresponsible person either, I care for my pets just like you would. I feel I was up for the challenge and I accepted it, also It's still very much a sling, but I understand what your saying and I respect your opinion. Not a lot of info is out on the Hati Hati that's why I asked if it were possible to handle.
our advice is not to handle it, and don't let your guard down with these species, obviously it won't throw threat postures since it's still a sling, but it will definitely get attitude as it grows.

Last edited:

awiec

Arachnoprince
Generally I just look up the genus as a whole, there are new spiders being brought in all the time and sp Hati Hati means no one has gotten around to give it a proper name and carries the name trade people give it as a place holder. I'm no expert but I get very wary about situations where someone *may* have bitten off a little more than they can chew. I would suggest housing it in slightly larger containers, give it plenty of hides/sub and minimize disturbances. This is not a very nice genus so one needs to be careful.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
Who was irresponsible to add that as a freebie? Whenever freebies are offered I check thoroughly to see what they offer before I agree to it. Granted I'm at the point of the game where I can care for most tarantulas but I really am not for surprises.
Personally, I like surprises :biggrin:.. Granted I;ve had enough experience with a variety of species

Chad2008

Arachnopeon
So.... who added a Cyriopagopus as a freebie? That seems extremely irresponsible and dangerous imho.
Alls i can say is the Hati Hati really enjoys having a tube and to have enough substrate to make a burrow until about 3 inches or so then they will be alot mroe active outside of the burrow. This is my experience at least.