Clear Paint Cans?

TypicalCricket

Arachnopeon
Hey all;
I was wondering if any of you have ever tried using something like this before.

I am thinking of getting my first sling soon, and was thinking that one of these would be a good sling house. I would of course drill some tiny ventilation holes in the lid, or even better figure out a way to put in a wire mesh insert.
They come in I was thinking of a 4" can until the sling I have in mind grows out of it, and then maybe move on to a critter keeper or something similar. Anyways, what are your thoughts?

TypicalCricket

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the inpuy guys. Today I was searching for a local supplier of delu cups. I ended up looking at a Dollar Store, where I found these instead:

hopefully you can get a sense of scale from my hand. Anyways, at two dollars each, these are pretty cheap and a little more attractive than a deli cup. What do you guys think? I'm partial to the round one myself.

Chainsaw Reptiles

Arachnoknight
They Might Work :D I Used Jars Like That For mY Little Nano Shrimp But I Do Use Them For Slings As Well What Sling Where You Getting?

Tarantula Fangs

Arachnosquire
personally, I'm not a big fan of glass containers, I have a fear of dropping one and hurting the T inside. :0 But, they can work, I've seen plenty of owners use them.

TypicalCricket

Arachnopeon
Hopefully around an inch. Any smaller and I'll have to set up a tiny cage until s/he's big enough that s/he won't get lost.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Mmm, I'm wary of those glass containers. Definitely not suitable for Avicularia who need cross ventilation. And a good tip is to have more than one possible enclosure in different sizes. That round jar just looks really big for a one inch specimen, it's like the size of a fish bowl. I'd still go with deli cups. You can worry about having an attractive enclosure when your specimen is more substantial.

Just my 2 ¢

TypicalCricket

Arachnopeon
That round jar just looks really big for a one inch specimen, it's like the size of a fish bowl.
I think the perspective of the first picture might have made it look a little bigger than it actually is. It's a litte bigger than 4 inches at its widest.

Either way, it seems like just about everyone is talking deli cups. About how big are the ones you use for slings (in inches/mm)? I'll track some down this weekend perhaps.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I do not use deli cups, though I will when I have more slings. At the moment I've only got 3 terrestrial slings under an inch.

I use a container like this, found at Hobby Lobby in the painting aisle if you've got any around you and like it. More expensive, but I like the look and the screw on lid. The specimen in there is a big too big but that's before I learned my 'keep multiple sized enclosures ready for unpacking' because I thought that T was going to be smaller than it was.

And all my slings 1.5"+ go into small plastic shoebox enclosures. No pics of that.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
This is ideal due to the ability for cross ventilation, which is "ohh" so important!

---------- Post added 01-19-2015 at 08:49 PM ----------

I do not use deli cups, though I will when I have more slings. At the moment I've only got 3 terrestrial slings under an inch.

I use a container like this, found at Hobby Lobby in the painting aisle if you've got any around you and like it. More expensive, but I like the look and the screw on lid. The specimen in there is a big too big but that's before I learned my 'keep multiple sized enclosures ready for unpacking' because I thought that T was going to be smaller than it was.

And all my slings 1.5"+ go into small plastic shoebox enclosures. No pics of that.
Plastic container City might be a good choice for you when you get up in numbers. I use the site for deli cups for slings, dwarfs

TypicalCricket

Arachnopeon
About how big is that jar? I found these on amazon and they have a 1.5" diameter, and are 1.375" tall. About the same?