E. Murinus and E.Cyanognathus Husbandry

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
Hello all, when pertaining to these two species of T's,

what care considerations do I need?

---------- Post added 01-16-2015 at 09:06 PM ----------

I'm planning on purchasing 2-3 of each to arrive in one to three weeks.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They need lots of substrate so that they can burrow. Adults I give 8 to 10 inches of substrate and I keep it rather moist. For slings it depends how big they are and how large of a container you're keeping them in. I prefer to use taller containers so I can put more substrate in. I usually fill it about 3/4 of the way up. These are of course what I would consider ideal conditions for this genus. Some will disagree. I prefer to use a larger waterdish with this genus, and I keep it constantly full. Just be mindful of their speed and watch your fingers when feeding them. Blue-fangs are normally very defensive and easily spooked. Murinus seems to have a very wide range of personalities between individuals. I have one that is rather calm and has never attempted to bite or even thrown a threat-pose. However my other one is almost as mean as my Blue-Fang. They are both excellent eaters. Not sure if you're aware of this, but their urticating hairs are located on their pedipalps, instead of their abdomen. However, they seem to bite first a lot of times as opposed to flicking their hairs.

Last edited:

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
They need lots of substrate so that they can burrow. Adults I give 8 to 10 inches of substrate and I keep it rather moist. For slings it depends how big they are and how large of a container you're keeping them in. I prefer to use taller containers so I can put more substrate in. I usually fill it about 3/4 of the way up. These are of course what I would consider ideal conditions for this genus. Some will disagree. I prefer to use a larger waterdish with this genus, and I keep it constantly full. Just be mindful of their speed and watch your fingers when feeding them. Blue-fangs are normally very defensive and easily spooked. Murinus seems to have a very wide range of personalities between individuals. I have one that is rather calm and has never attempted to bite or even thrown a threat-pose. However my other one is almost as mean as my Blue-Fang. They are both excellent eaters. Not sure if you're aware of this, but their urticating hairs are located on their pedipalps, instead of their abdomen. However, they seem to bite first a lot of times as opposed to flicking their hairs.
I had heard about this uraticating method before.... This is great info thanks, exactly what I needed. I have pet holes so yes i have no problem giving them proper conditions to thrive. What about substrate moisture consistency? And in my experience with OW's I aways take the high road and use extra extra precautions to make the T feel safe, and of course not get bit lol. So I'll keep these specific tendencies in mind for the species, The sizes will be anywhere from 1/2 - 1 inch legspans, ill be getting slings. I like to watch my T's grow

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Here's a short vid I shot a while back displaying the use of their urticating hair defense mechanism.

[YOUTUBE]hJSfPo9Pk-E[/YOUTUBE]

Sana

Arachnoprince
That was super interesting! I of course didn't know about the the location of urticating hair on the pedipalps and was trying to picture how that worked when I scrolled down and found a video to demonstrate. Perfect. I learn at least three new things about Ts daily.

Tarantula Fangs

Arachnosquire
How bad are their hairs? are we talking like smithi :) or birdeater? :0

---------- Post added 01-17-2015 at 10:18 AM ----------

I got mine the beginning of the week, and it's become one of my favorite Ts, this little guy seems constantly hungry, lol. But a really nice spider to look at.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've never been haired by one, so I can't say how bad they are. Like I said though, they seem to prefer biting.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
How bad are their hairs? are we talking like smithi :) or birdeater? :0
Definately worse than Brachypelma spp. for me at least! Everyone reacts differently to them, but my E. murinus who's a total sweetheart, has line her entrance with some apparently. Last time I did maintenance (after closing her burrow with a catchcup to be sure :D) I worked with my hands in there - got itchy for the next 3 days - shudder! Lesson learned, though :)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Aviculariinae hairs don't bother me in the slightest.
They never effected me at all either, until last summer. I helped unpack a few hundred w/c Avic avics, and from that day forward my wrists itch every time I open an Avic cage. I think they spread the hairs on their silk. Once you get a sensitivity, there's no going back.