Cobalt blue 1/4-1/2" care

Graeboe

Arachnoknight
Ok. I'm usually pretty good with not worrying about my spiderlings but my new cobalt blue just has me puzzled. He's made his burrow in 2" of substrate but as far as I can tell he hasn't moved one millimeter since finishing. Not even chased down a pinhead cricket. Bout five days now which is the longest most of my spiderlings will go without accepting a meal. I know adults are pet holes but are the baby's as well?

cold blood

Staff member
Lot's of slings are pet holes at 1/4". Not taking prey could mean it is in pre-molt.
+1 My thoughts exactly. Most terrestrial (and many arboreals) are "pet holes" until they gain a little size. They are very vulnerable at small sizes, being underground gives them a little extra security, allowing a higher percentage of long term survival.

A sling refusing food more often than not is an indicator of pre-molt....sometimes very early, even before showing outward signs. Even slings can go a surprising amount of time in pre-molt. I've had a 1/2" sling fast in pre-molt for 44 days...5 is nothing. If its not a plump as you would like or expect it to be, leave a pre-killed cricket at the burrow mouth, if its hungry, it will be gone by morning....otherwise remove it and wait.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Some slings are braver than other in taking prey, and a baby cricket that seems okay to us is intimidating to a sling. Sometimes I'll pinch off the rear legs. I bred lividum years ago, and don't recall the slings being overly small; I doubt it's a 1/4" unless it's 1st instar.

Graeboe

Arachnoknight
Thanks guys and sorry bout the size description he really likes to keep scrunched up so measuring him a a guessing game and I can never remember the accepted way to measure ts. Which is interesting bc I've ordered Ts from diff places and some have been listed larger than they are and some smaller

Tarantula Fangs

Arachnosquire
I got my H. Lividum about the same size around 3/4" and my experience was that she was pretty much always hungry, I found out later that when they didn't chase or catch their prey it was a clear sign of premolt. I'm sure you have nothing to worry about, this genus is a pretty hardy one from what I've heard. I would remove the cricket and just keep an eye out for him. The good thing is that mine nearly doubled in size with each molt, always cool, good luck with your T, post some pics and we'll tell you if the enclosure is suitable for the youngster. :)