Nhandu Chromatus..

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
Hello all, what can you guys tell me about this species? Native habitat, husbandry, temperment? Aside for the fact that it reminds me of Ace Ventura when Nature Calls :p, I' planning on throwing three of these slings onto my next order

cold blood

Staff member
Hello all, what can you guys tell me about this species? Native habitat, husbandry, temperment? Aside for the fact that it reminds me of Ace Ventura when Nature Calls :p, I' planning on throwing three of these slings onto my next order
They start out very tiny. But they are good eaters, even when small...they are quick growers as well. Very skittish though, especially under 2". I keep slings in deli cups with mostly dry sub...I do wet an area as well as the moss I have in with them as well. None of mine are flickers, but most are very small yet. Once they get their adult colors, they look spectacular, especially post-molt. Decent burrowers as well.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
They start out very tiny. But they are good eaters, even when small...they are quick growers as well. Very skittish though, especially under 2". I keep slings in deli cups with mostly dry sub...I do wet an area as well as the moss I have in with them as well. None of mine are flickers, but most are very small yet. Once they get their adult colors, they look spectacular, especially post-molt. Decent burrowers as well.
Thanks for this!! I'll be attaining 1/4" babies, I look forward to it

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Highly recommended. Females can get about 7", slings get color at a small size. I keep mine on slightly moist substrate with cross ventilation, and a water bowl (moist sphagnum laying on the substrate for under 1/2"). Hardy, good appetites. Beautiful species. It used to be a Lasiodora, and some still think it's not in the right genus yet.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
Highly recommended. Females can get about 7", slings get color at a small size. I keep mine on slightly moist substrate with cross ventilation, and a water bowl (moist sphagnum laying on the substrate for under 1/2"). Hardy, good appetites. Beautiful species. It used to be a Lasiodora, and some still think it's not in the right genus yet.
Thanks, I think that I'll get these in the numbers then.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
awesome little guys got mine at about 1/4 area and is now a suspected fem at 3.25-3.75" interesting buggers.. i also keep mine on semi moist sub with well vented as well.. mine is still pretty skittish but oh so pretty.. can be kickers some are a little fiesty. my buddies 6" bulky female thinks shes an obt. more rearing then any other T iv seen but also bites at the tongs restlessly.

miserykills

Arachnosquire
Mine is by far my most defensive T. It is probably around 3 inches (suspect male) and mine does kick hairs often and I've heard it's one of the more unpleasant to get haired by (haven't experienced it yet.) It will not hesitate to give a threat posture and is an incredible eater. Never refused a meal even 2 days before a molt. I keep it slightly moist with a big water dish. One thing I should have done differently is add more substrate/buy a deeper container. I use a medium exo terra breeding box filled a few inches with eco earth and it dug to the bottom in a week. It only stayed down there until it molted and about a week after, now its almost always out unless I startle it. They are one of my favorites because of the attitude and how beautiful they are. You will love yours.

Mariner1

Arachnosquire
N. chromatus

Agree with Poec, here is a picture of mine. There might be one more molt left in her. The black looks like velvet almost. :biggrin:

Attachments

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As others have said, a highly recommended species, great eaters, fast growing, and gorgeous colors at a young age.

Here's my 2.5 inch female already showing bright coloration.

View attachment 133657

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
As others have said, a highly recommended species, great eaters, fast growing, and gorgeous colors at a young age.

Here's my 2.5 inch female already showing bright coloration.
That's some great markings and colors for a youngster.