LPS-A. avic not doing well

Zigana

Arachnosquire
Yesterday I went to a pet store and was looking at their tarantulas. I couldn't see an A. avic in the enclosure so I asked if it had been sold. The employee said it was still there and searched the enclosure finding it hidden under some moss, the type most people use to add moisture. Upon seeing it I was in shock at first. I told the employee that it was ill. He told me that what he was told is that it is getting ready to molt not to worry about it. I informed him it was not going to molt and that it is quite ill. The poor tarantula had spastic movement staying in one spot. It was terrified, trying to move but couldn't get coordinated to do so. It just hovered in one spot sort of hopping in place with legs and body jerking super fast. I feel bad leaving it. Is there any hope for this tarantula? I want to say it is DKS but not sure. Size of avic is 3".

The enclosure was too damp and not well ventilated at store. I keep mine with dry substrate, good ventilation, water dish and have had no problems.

Last edited:

Tarantula Fangs

Arachnosquire
It does sound like DKS, I've heard of T's dying shortly after displaying such symptoms. :( I hope you're able to care for the young Avic, good luck.

cold blood

Staff member
DKS is a symptom.

Exactly...its like saying my neighbor is laying around a lot, not eating well at the moment....I think it must be a fever. Symptom, not a diagnosis...I agree with bob, if I never heard the term again I wouldn't miss it for a second.

Zigana

Arachnosquire
I mentioned the symptons. The reason for the post is to find out if their may or may not be any hope for this tarantula. If there is any hope I could possibly adopt it for free and see if it can survive. My interest is the tarantula, not if DKS is a proper term or not which isn't helping the tarantula one way or the other.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
The enclosure was too damp and not well ventilated at store.
That's the problem, it's the biggest killer of Avics. It needs to be in conditions like you keep yours. Would they sell it to you cheap, since they're obviously not going to sell it otherwise? All you can do is try. It's not going to get any better where it is now.

To address the other issue raised: This is an example of the TKG giving poor information: 1) the spider does not have the mysterious (and fictitious) 'DKS', and 2) the first response should not be an ICU, as that would surely kill the spider. There are situations where too much moisture/too little ventilation has caused serious problems, and ICU's are not an appropriate treatment (moist, stuffy container as a cure!). I've revived dozens of w/c tarantulas at importers/dealers/pet stores over the years and where they're abdomens are shrunken and wrinkled, with their legs curled under; a good long drink will cure them within 24 hours. I don't know of any situation where an ICU is actually beneficial.

Last edited:

Zigana

Arachnosquire
That's the problem, it's the biggest killer of Avics. It needs to be in conditions like you keep yours. Would they sell it to you cheap, since they're obviously not going to sell it otherwise? All you can do is try. It's not going to get any better where it is now.

To address the other issue raised: This is an example of the TKG giving poor information: 1) the spider does not have the mysterious (and fictitious) 'DKS', and 2) the first response should not be an ICU, as that would surely kill the spider. There are situations where too much moisture/too little ventilation has caused serious problems, and ICU's are not an appropriate treatment (moist, stuffy container as a cure!). I've revived dozens of w/c tarantulas at importers/dealers/pet stores over the years and where they're abdomens are shrunken and wrinkled, with their legs curled under; a good long drink will cure them within 24 ours. I don't know of any situation where an ICU is actually beneficial.
Thank you! I called the lps and told them that the tarantula was most likely ill due to the damp substrate and lack of ventilation. The guy I talked to said they can't do anything on ventilation with how their enclosures are set up but they are going to change the substrate to dry. A positive experience talking with store employee, at least the person I talked to was listening and going to take action with what he is able to change. Not sure if it will be enough at this point to help the tarantula but at least their doing something.

assidreemz

Arachnosquire
Unfortunately it sounds as if it won't fare too well in the future.
Is say if you're willing to buy it, do so and try to save the poor lad from his watery grave.
Other than that you could get a nice healthy cb sling to raise yourself!!
I understand when people buy animals out of pity but I personally cannot justify propagating the business of selling (and buying) wc t's. ESP such an exploited species.
Just my 2¢

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
If they do allow you to buy it cheaply, I'd recommend isolating her into a small container with small pieces of clean dry cloth (like 1cm by 1cm). Dry that baby out. Lol