Emergency thread, help needed!

Imortalis

Arachnopeon
I have a male leopard gecko that was a rescue. He wasn't being fed properly, we assume, that or the previous owners just couldn't get him to eat. We have had him for two weeks now, and at first he seemed to be putting on weight. He wouldn't eat by himself so we had to feed him the Repashy gecko paste along with some calcium dusted crickets. After a few days, we noticed he was getting thinner and thinner and began regurging everything that we gave him. We added wax worms to the mix to try and up his calorie intake, but we noticed this afternoon that he's refusing to swallow anything we put in his mouth no matter what we try, he's thinner than ever, very weak and unresponsive and just seems to be giving up. Has anyone rehabilitated a gecko with success that could offer me advice?

Here's some photos I took of him just a few minutes ago.

Attachments

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
*skin crawls* dont even tell me where you got that.. ill hunt them down...

now... *deep breath* i think the only thing you can do is keep trying... honestly.. after seeing his condition i woudlnt have bought him and would have turned them in.. just keep trying...

Imortalis

Arachnopeon
I didn't buy him. Someone had him because she got him in a trade and nothing she did could get him to eat so I took him to see what I could do and it's just been going downhill. I'm hoping by adding the wax worms it will at least help him to get more nutrients in him. He seems to be able to keep them down a bit better than the paste.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
refusal to eat often is a symptom of intestinal blockage, many petstores will advise customers to house their leopards on sand or calcisand, both of which can cause severe impaction.

Poor thing.. :(

Imortalis

Arachnopeon
I have no idea what he was on before I got him. I have him on paper towels right now.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
You can try electrolyte water like Pedialite for children . At this point food might just be to hard for him and the electrolytes will help . Try soaking him in it see if he will drink and keep his temps up 85 is good but not any higher . Try not to handle him to much and keep him in a quiet place do this for a couple of days soaking maybe twice a day but keep it shallow and then defiantly try wax worms they are easily digested. This has worked for me in the past with rehabilitating geckos. Hope this helps

Imortalis

Arachnopeon
UPDATE: We got some wax worms down him last night, and I got up this morning and he's a bit better! More responsive with a bit more energy than last night. I'm going to keep trying to fatten him up. Here's fingers crossed he'll make it through....

-=}GA']['OR{=-

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You can try electrolyte water like Pedialite for children . At this point food might just be to hard for him and the electrolytes will help . Try soaking him in it see if he will drink and keep his temps up 85 is good but not any higher . Try not to handle him to much and keep him in a quiet place do this for a couple of days soaking maybe twice a day but keep it shallow and then defiantly try wax worms they are easily digested. This has worked for me in the past with rehabilitating geckos. Hope this helps
Also try the pedialite as well, as Blue Jaye suggested.

SC Tarantulas

Arachnoknight
In the condition this animal is in it is likely full organ shutdown. This animal will not survive sadly and should be euthanized to end its suffering if it is even alive by the time I post this response. We have had dozens of Geckos surrendered to us over the years and are usually able to rehab a majority of them but some (like this one) are just way to far gone for rehab. It could be caused by anything from malnutrition and neglect to Crypto. A licensed Exotic vet would be able to make that diagnosis. If you have any other geckos or reptiles I strongly suggest keeping this animal and anything that comes in contact with it far away from them. It can be hard to make the decision to euthanize but as the owner of the animal there is a responsibility to do what is in the animals best interest and in this case end its horrific suffering. Being a gecko breeder it saddens me to see animals in this condition. Sorry.

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
#1. Hydrate
#2. Hydrate
#3. Hydrate
#4. Calories and nutrients.

And you have to manage the animals stress level the whole time.

Such an emaciated gecko is also dehydrated, and the digestive system needs water to properly function. The moisture found in feeder insects does not attribute to digestion, as it is busy being abosrbed itself. Forcing a dehydrated animal to eat will lead to impaction. I highly recommend hydrating the animal before continuing with food. No personal experience with pedialyte, but from research I have heard great things. Off the top of my head, I dont recall the purpose of electrolytes, but he needs them, and you will get them with pedialyte.
Some reptile specific products you can try would be Flukers Brand Repti-boost, and another one called amped. Dont recall who makes the latter.

I dont agree with bathing the animal. Reptiles are water tight, and dont actually absorb water through the rectum, assuming this is what was meant by bathing. They do seem to readily drink moving water, so perhaps holding him close to a faucet or using a bubbler bowl will help. (A bubbler bowl is just a water dish with an air stone in it.)

I suppose I will have to link the article stating this, but scientists did test how bathing affects hydration levels, and discovered that it actually causes more water loss. The study was done on tortoises. Most animals will excrete waste when in the bath, and that is one of the few ways they lose internal moisture. The second reason I would avoid bathing, is because the animal is already in a state of stress, and through hand watering/feeding its stress may increase. No need to do anything excessive. Its the woarst feeling in the world to kill an animal with love.

Ive dealt with many beardies and geckos who look like this, sometimes this is how the distributor sends them to us. The most effective thing I have used is a comination of Repti-boost, pumpkin babyfood and water. The repti-boost adds electrolytes and trace minerals. The pumpkin is fibre which will get the digestive tract working, and the water is life blood for the animal.

But like Brad says, you may find it necessary to euthanize the animal. He may be too far gone, but that being said Ive seen reptiles in awful conditions, but under the right conditions bounce quickly.

refusal to eat often is a symptom of intestinal blockage, many petstores will advise customers to house their leopards on sand or calcisand, both of which can cause severe impaction.

Poor thing.. :(
I probably shouldnt take offence to this, but I do work at a petstore, and after many months of complaining to my manager we no longer carry calci-sand;) Although he just brought back crushed walnut substrate after I told him its toxic. That being said many long-term breeders use sand with mature geckos and have never had an issue. When taking questions from customers I am not a nazi, I provide them with all info so they can make an informed decision themselves. There is a risk when using sand, but IMHO I think it is over stated on the forums.
Geckos will actively eat substrate to make up any micro nutrients lacking in the diet, such as calcium (Also, human infants will do this as well). The last thing I want to say about geckos on sand, is that you can find plenty of forum users who use the stuff as well. Pet Store employees... sigh.... I generally agree with what is said about them, but being one myself, and being an active member on forums I see both sides of the arguement. Expecting a minimum wage employee to understand the complex aspects of dozens upon dozens of different animals is..... pathetic.... If you own an animal, dont hold a minimum wage employee accountable for its care.

Last edited:

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
#1. Hydrate
#2. Hydrate
#3. Hydrate
#4. Calories and nutrients.

And you have to manage the animals stress level the whole time.

Such an emaciated gecko is also dehydrated, and the digestive system needs water to properly function. The moisture found in feeder insects does not attribute to digestion, as it is busy being abosrbed itself. Forcing a dehydrated animal to eat will lead to impaction. I highly recommend hydrating the animal before continuing with food. No personal experience with pedialyte, but from research I have heard great things. Off the top of my head, I dont recall the purpose of electrolytes, but he needs them, and you will get them with pedialyte.
Some reptile specific products you can try would be Flukers Brand Repti-boost, and another one called amped. Dont recall who makes the latter.

I dont agree with bathing the animal. Reptiles are water tight, and dont actually absorb water through the rectum, assuming this is what was meant by bathing. They do seem to readily drink moving water, so perhaps holding him close to a faucet or using a bubbler bowl will help. (A bubbler bowl is just a water dish with an air stone in it.)

I suppose I will have to link the article stating this, but scientists did test how bathing affects hydration levels, and discovered that it actually causes more water loss. The study was done on tortoises. Most animals will excrete waste when in the bath, and that is one of the few ways they lose internal moisture. The second reason I would avoid bathing, is because the animal is already in a state of stress, and through hand watering/feeding its stress may increase. No need to do anything excessive. Its the woarst feeling in the world to kill an animal with love.

Ive dealt with many beardies and geckos who look like this, sometimes this is how the distributor sends them to us. The most effective thing I have used is a comination of Repti-boost, pumpkin babyfood and water. The repti-boost adds electrolytes and trace minerals. The pumpkin is fibre which will get the digestive tract working, and the water is life blood for the animal.

But like Brad says, you may find it necessary to euthanize the animal. He may be too far gone, but that being said Ive seen reptiles in awful conditions, but under the right conditions bounce quickly.

I probably shouldnt take offence to this, but I do work at a petstore, and after many months of complaining to my manager we no longer carry calci-sand;) Although he just brought back crushed walnut substrate after I told him its toxic. That being said many long-term breeders use sand with mature geckos and have never had an issue. When taking questions from customers I am not a nazi, I provide them with all info so they can make an informed decision themselves. There is a risk when using sand, but IMHO I think it is over stated on the forums.
Geckos will actively eat substrate to make up any micro nutrients lacking in the diet, such as calcium (Also, human infants will do this as well). The last thing I want to say about geckos on sand, is that you can find plenty of forum users who use the stuff as well. Pet Store employees... sigh.... I generally agree with what is said about them, but being one myself, and being an active member on forums I see both sides of the arguement. Expecting a minimum wage employee to understand the complex aspects of dozens upon dozens of different animals is..... pathetic.... If you own an animal, dont hold a minimum wage employee accountable for its care.
it's moreso accidentally ingesting substrate during feeding that's the problem. Deliberately ingesting substrate means they arent getting something from their diet, which can be easily provided by dusting their food and gut-loading. (not with jelly, mind you! Gut load with fresh veggies, bone-meal, and fruit!)

It's just common knowledge that most pet stores are crap. Yours might be willing to care for their stock better, but the overwhelming majority really dont care and are businessmen first and foremost.

-=}GA']['OR{=-

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sid is absolutely right here. If this gecko is to survive hydration first is the key. If the body is dehydrated it will try and pull water from anywhere, stools included. This obviously leads to constipation and or impaction.The body will not assimilate nutrients from food unless there is ample water available. This is why doctors tell people with digestive issues to drink a lot of water.

bchbum11

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Based on his appearance and symptoms, it seems like he probably either has crypto or a vitamin A deficiency. I'd recommend taking him to a vet and having him checked out. Crypto is not curable, and presents a threat to the rest of your collection. Vit A deficiency is easily cured through a few injections. Both will cause the same symptoms (weight loss, regurgitation, etc,...) In any case, like Brad said, it would be advisable to quarantine him and be sure to work with him last when doing maintenance to avoid the risk of contaminating other animals in your collection.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Based on his appearance and symptoms, it seems like he probably either has crypto or a vitamin A deficiency. I'd recommend taking him to a vet and having him checked out. Crypto is not curable, and presents a threat to the rest of your collection. Vit A deficiency is easily cured through a few injections. Both will cause the same symptoms (weight loss, regurgitation, etc,...) In any case, like Brad said, it would be advisable to quarantine him and be sure to work with him last when doing maintenance to avoid the risk of contaminating other animals in your collection.
In the off chance it is Crypto, Cryptosporidium, this bacteria can be transmitted to humans. Mask and hand washings/gloves suggested, Same applies if it is the fungi, Cryptococcosis*.

*Cryptococcus is sometimes known as 'the ghost' in microbiology circles. It parasitizes other fungi. Range unknown but probably world wide, method of transmission unknown, does not always form yeast states as other fungi. Origin unknown. Human infections commonly cause meningitis.

Last edited:

Julia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh.....my gosh.... How could someone just watch this happen?? :cry: I hope the little guy pulls through with your rehab efforts!

Imortalis

Arachnopeon
UPDATE #2:

He's still doing much better! He's finally starting to get a tad of meat on his tail and he's much more responsive. He still is not eating on his own, but at least he's swallowing what I give him now! I'll get some updated pics soon!
Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions so far!

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Hope he is getting better.

Is he defecating properly?

People have mentioned several times but proper hydration is the key to keep anything alive.